Find cause for crazy high CPU frametime?

On 7/8/2021 at 7:54 AM, Lurker said:

You could have a process that is slowing down your entire system without it being noticed as an overhead in core usage.

I took for granted his O.S being sorted but I shouldn't have since he even refuses to provide us with details about his RAM...

You're entirely right, Task Manager doesn't tell you enough to diagnose the cause of high latency, but it also can come from a messy O.S, reason for optimizing it (and storage) in the first place.

Having said that, I had a look at different Intel users forums and the same thing come back often enough to be noticed, as I pointed out, even if the Intel CPUs are different from the AMDs, the controllers have the same sort of limitation and apparently some players using similar CPUs experienced low shader performances due to bad RAM bounding.

People take for granted the ability of their CPU to deal with whatever RAM they throw at it but it is the case with the Intel since the RAM frequency recommanded is the same DDR4 2400 than that for an AMD Ryzen 5.

People think that they can increase frequency regardless of the number of ranks but it has a cost and as you pointed out, one core or more could well throttle back and he would not even notice the reason, so at the end of the day, O.S or/and RAM bound can cause this sort of issues and the only way to sort it out is to bound the proper RAM to the CPU in the first place, in this case that would be DDR4 2400 4 X 1 bank or 2 X 2 banks. Passed that there will be a RAM bottleneck.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Have you gone through Thuds VR4DCS yet? 

Thud's VR4DCS
https://vr4dcs.com/

For me it turned out to be Windows Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling was interrupting my GPU every few frames and causing draw failures. Cut something like 30% off of my frame rate in VR.

And none of it showed up in the Task Manager; it wasn't actually using the GPU, just pestering it to drop what it was doing to go move a grain of sand with a pair of tweezers. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Voyager said:

Have you gone through Thuds VR4DCS yet? 

Thud's VR4DCS
https://vr4dcs.com/

For me it turned out to be Windows Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling was interrupting my GPU every few frames and causing draw failures. Cut something like 30% off of my frame rate in VR.

And none of it showed up in the Task Manager; it wasn't actually using the GPU, just pestering it to drop what it was doing to go move a grain of sand with a pair of tweezers. 

Among other things...

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

On 7/9/2021 at 5:16 PM, Voyager said:

Will have to check this out, I think I may have this turned on. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

@Voyager well I'll be damned. Turning of HAGS has improved my experience in VR so much so that I can run ULTRA clouds and medium shadows while flying with the Hind, and have an extra smooth gaming experience. (MSAA x2 as well)

I had no idea that this setting affected VR so drastically. I was left scratching my head with how it's possible that I'm getting such low performance on a Rift S and a 3090RTX, turns out it's because HAGS was ON. Thank you very much Voyager, this setting should be listed somewhere front and center. It's absolutely critical to VR performance. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

@Lurker I'm glad it worked for you. I have no idea what HAGS is doing, but I suspect it's sending interrupts to the GPU and handling them in such a way that it just keeps interrupting video provision in some configurations. 

Like for me, it didn't cause any problem when I was using the Reverb G1, but switching to the Vive Pro 2, it was just hammering my video performance. 

• 3 months later...
On 7/8/2021 at 4:44 AM, Donglr said:

If the Windows task manager is anything to go by, yes. It's DCS using the biggest chunk, then for a long while nothing and the next process in line is at like 2% tops. According to HWInfo my most loaded core is at 60% max. Nothing like you see with other games where there is a core maxed out. It actually looks similar to my friend, his CPU usage is also low for a CPU bound game. But then a single thread can only run 100% of the time and more cores won't help.

FYI I have been having the same issue, and found another thread regarding the DCS Scripts folder.

Try renaming this to like TESTScripts and run the game without any exports. Fixes all my frametime spikes, but now I need to figure out which one this is.

11 hours ago, Boffin3212 said:

FYI I have been having the same issue, and found another thread regarding the DCS Scripts folder.

Try renaming this to like TESTScripts and run the game without any exports. Fixes all my frametime spikes, but now I need to figure out which one this is.

ok thanks, can you link the thread ?

what exactly you do with script folder and which one in DCS or DCS SAVE GAME ?