How to read the fuel gauge?

Rhinozherous
Go to solution Solved by XPACT,

Hey!

The descriptions of the Hind by ED says "The internal fuel capacity is 1,770kg" 

On the screenshot you see the fuel gauge with 100% full internal tanks, no external tanks and the fuel meter set to total... which scale do I have to read? I already realized that it shows liters, not kilos. But do we read the most outer scale for internal tanks?

Thank you

2021-06-25 18_52_09-Digital Combat Simulator.png

Edited by Rhinozherous
  • Like 1

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

• Solution
28 minutes ago, Rhinozherous said:

But do we read the most outer scale for internal tanks?

Everything is x100 and is in liters

You use most outer scale when reading total fuel (0-25)

Tanks 1 and 2 scale in the middle (0-5)

Tanks 4+5 are read from inner scale (0-10)

Edit: of course you need to select desired tank/s first with tank selector

Edited by XPACT
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...

Together with Chuck's Guide and the fuel diagram I now noticed, tank 3 gravity feeds into 4+5.

Tank 3 is also shown on middle scale.

Starting cold and dark with reduced fuel load. You will have some fuel in tank 3, but 4+5 are not full. It will immediately drain from tank 3 to 4+5 on the ground. Don't know if this is intended or not. I'll try to make a trackfile next time and ask.

Outer scale: Total fuel amount

Middle scale: Tanks 1, 2 and 3

Inner scale: Tanks 4 + 5

You have two more tanks on the tank-selector switch, and those are "External 1" and "External 2". Do not confuse those with external fuel tanks mounted on the wing-pylons. The external tank-functions are left-over from Mi-24D where they would show the fuel amount of the two optional canister-tanks inside the passenger-/cargo-cabin. They don´t work on our Mi-24P because the Mi-24D was the last to use those tanks.

On 8/19/2021 at 6:01 PM, gulredrel said:

Together with Chuck's Guide and the fuel diagram I now noticed, tank 3 gravity feeds into 4+5.

Tank 3 is also shown on middle scale.

Starting cold and dark with reduced fuel load. You will have some fuel in tank 3, but 4+5 are not full. It will immediately drain from tank 3 to 4+5 on the ground. Don't know if this is intended or not. I'll try to make a trackfile next time and ask.

It is correct. Check this out: 

Edited by zerO_crash
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maybe I didn't clear it enough. tank 3 gravity feeding in 4+5 is totally okay. My concern is the implementation of starting with the reduced fuel load.

Say 80% fuel in mission editor and starting a mission, you will find something like 80% fuel in tank 3, and 80 % fuel in 4+5. So 4+5 have enough space so tank 3 drains in 4+5.

For a cold start where the helicopter has been fueled way before entering the cabin, all that fuel from tank 3 would have fed into 4+5 already and you sould see empty tank 3 and almost full tanks 4+5.

For hot refuelling it is okay to work this way I guess, when the filling cap is in tank 3 and can be topped of faster than the fuel will feed 4+5. So it takes a bit to drain.

• Like 1