SSDs. Implementation of new ones.

G'day lads.

If I were to buy a new SSD for DCS to live on, what would be the considerations I need to make when doing so? Since it would be very easy to connect an external device via USB to my PC I'm guessing that is in some way unsatisfactory, and there is a much better, more expensive, more fiddly way to do it properly. Can anyone enlighten me?

Currently have an SSD of 200GB or so that the OS is on, and a 1TB HDD. Looking to get a 1TB SSD for DCS. 

Would this give any significant performance improvements?

I fly exclusively in VR. System as follows: i7-9700F CPU @ 3.00GHz, 32Gb RAM, Nvidia, GeForce RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

DO NOT BUY AN EXTERNAL USB SSD!

You need at least a SATA SSD, preferably a NVME m2 disk.

It would make a huge difference, not so much in FPS, but definitely in loading times and an overall smoother experience (less microstutters) Check whether what type of SSDs your motherboard supports before you buy one first.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Thanks for the responses guys. And thanks Noruas, you've probably cost me a couple of hundred dollars this weekend! haha

Is there any reason you'd go for SATA III or M.2 specifically for DCS? Or is it about much of a muchness in any practical sense?

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.