WINDOWS 11 Compatibility

12 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

Yeah, two of my three PCs at home won't be up to the Win 11 requirements. Luckily my simming PC should be ok though, but my other two are no slouches really so it's kind of a surprise. They just have slightly older Intel CPUs. This is kind of a departure from the requirements philosophy of the last few  Windows releases.

Actually "the last Windows" and "constant feature updates" was a blatant lie...

Let's resume what we got from Windows10: reduction of integrated features, that have been removed, or replaced by optional Apps from the Windows Store.

Telemetry, Cortana and Bing search.

Reduced lifecycle from 5-10 years, to a roundabout 18 months (2 Feature upgrades back).

Now let's hope we didn't fall for another lie and Windows 11 isn't a free update to Windows 10 and will cost us again.

The TPM requirement brings back memories of the discussion about the Trusted Platform and the execution prevention. That's basically the OS can easily have total  control over application execution, so any not signed and "trusted" application, driver could be blocked as "not secure". Hopefully we can still decide for ourselves what we want to/allow to execute. The original concept was very frightening from an end user perspective...

• Like 6

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I read an article a few days ago that stated that the 'Home' edition of Windows 11 will be forced to use an online Microsoft account.  No local account available.  This 'limitation' is unlikely on the Pro/Enterprise editions.

This info is merely based on an article I read on my Google feed late last week, and the writer was using the leaked Windows 11, so take this with a pinch of salt until confirmed.  It would fit in with Microsoft's desire to push their 365 platform more.

Edit: here we go, confirmed.

Edited by epoch
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 is supported until 10/14/2025 and it's not like it will stop working at all then, so I don't know why do you care now about Windows 11 on your PC. By the time W11 is needed your current PC will not be something you want to play on.

• Like 4

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

23 hours ago, epoch said:

I read an article a few days ago that stated that the 'Home' edition of Windows 11 will be forced to use an online Microsoft account.  No local account available.  This 'limitation' is unlikely on the Pro/Enterprise editions.

This info is merely based on an article I read on my Google feed late last week, and the writer was using the leaked Windows 11, so take this with a pinch of salt until confirmed.  It would fit in with Microsoft's desire to push their 365 platform more.

Yes I read that article also and since I and many of my clients prefer to have a local administrator account and not be signed into MS. I found another article where the guy told the home version it was on a domain during the install, and then he was able to setup a local admin account. I am sure there will be around what ever they try to force on us with Win 11.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

The requirement for Microsoft account and internet is nothing new.

Windows 10 is already digital licensed. 

You need a Microsoft account to register the license to Microsoft, and that requires a internet connection.

After you have installed the windows, you register the license to your account and it is tied to that hardware setup.

Then you can create your own local user accounts as you like and you never need to have internet connection if you don't want to.

This is same as with example Xbox that after purchase you need to register the Xbox to your account and after that you never need a internet connection to play with it (unless games requires).

This is for Microsoft to track sold consoles and then authorize games in the account to that specific console of the owner.

Who thinks that they can easily run these days anything without internet are having hard time to do much when content is delivered over internet. No more games on optical disks, no more updates copied with another disk etc. You use internet to install and update software. 

But when the game is such like blizzard Diablo that you need to be online to play single player and when internet connection is cut the game stops there, then it is wrong.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 6/28/2021 at 3:27 PM, shagrat said:

Actually "the last Windows" and "constant feature updates" was a blatant lie...

Some fall for it, some not.

Let's face it, when a company puts a version number to their product, they are in trouble.

If windows 10 would have been the "last windows", then it wouldn't had 10 in it name.

It would be just "Windows".

Same thing is with iPhone etc. 

Google has at least learned it with Chrome. No one really cares is it Chrome 54 or 62 or whatever. 

Apple should already call it just as "iPhone" and "iPad" and that is it.

Then behind the device there is the version number, and forget all the idiotic 1,2, 6, 8 SE, 10, 11 Pro etc etc.

You just write the year in it.

iPhone (2021)

iPhone (2023)

Windows (2021/1)

Windows (2021/2)

And that is it.

It eventually ends to same as car manufacturing, you have a model and you have year. "Toyota Prius '06" or "Ford Mustang '21"

When you go to search parts, you are asked then these details, but otherwise you are just driving "Toyota Prius" or "Mustang".

Apple had it right as well with mac. You had iMac 24" with 2007 behind it, but then they really needed to F things up by adding "late" or "early" to it.

Camera manufacturers are as well in big trouble. Even when they upgrade something 4-5 years (or like Sony every year almost) the they can't just stop using numbers or "mark II" and "mark VII". SERIOUSLY, just call it as "EOS 1D" or "Alpha 7" and write the year number in the plate bottom of the camera and digitally in the "about" menu.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

OMG who would switch to W11 unless they had no choice????

Why do people want to be unpaid beta testers and risk their rigs getting smoked?

Edited by Mower
  • Like 3

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I never got a smoked rig with Windows 10, this install already lasts for 4 years (re-installed after an SSD swap), i guess Windows 11 will be the same.

Also, if you run DCS Open Beta, you are even paying for being a beta tester.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

On 6/26/2021 at 10:15 AM, epoch said:

Then you can download Microsoft's health check app to see if your system is compatible.

Microsoft took it down on Monday. No longer available.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

On 6/25/2021 at 9:51 AM, OPEC said:

Its not even out yet and not due to the end of the year.

The official insider preview is now available.

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

Hi Fri13, I have fixed many peoples computers and installed windows 10 on older systems. I never use a Microsoft account. The only thing required is a authorized copy of windows that is registered by a Windows Key. For instance I setup Win 10 on a machine that was Win 7 or 8, I install windows 10, disconnect the internet, set it as local account only. Select I have no key code, after the installation is done, I connect to the internet (not Microsoft) and the digital license is automatically applied and windows 10 is activated. At no time is a Microsoft personal account needed. I have been building systems like this since Windows 10 first came out.

• Like 1

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

13 hours ago, tusler said:

At no time is a Microsoft personal account needed.

Yep, but they have been making it more annoying to make an Offline account. It's now to the point where once it asks to sign into Microsoft you have to pull the ethernet cord and then hit Back for it to recognize you have no internet.

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Tailhook said:

Yep, but they have been making it more annoying to make an Offline account. It's now to the point where once it asks to sign into Microsoft you have to pull the ethernet cord and then hit Back for it to recognize you have no internet.

I agree, thats what I've been doing, unplug, select I have no internet, select limited setup then later reconnect internet.

• Like 1

Not that i am in a rush to jump from win 10 to 11. But from whati read intel 8th generation or newer CPU's have tpm that should be compatible with windows 11, even if most MOBO's don't

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

FYI:

For a DCS Simmer or PC enthusiast in general it may pay back to not only activate Win10 online ( which you must do obviously )

but also to register that license to your MS account for a very simple reason:

If you do NOT do that, you can easily reinstall Windows10 on this same rig and it will activate again ( again only online, which is actually not my topic here ) BUT if you change MB, CPU

or many other components and your Win10 decides to deactivate itslef you are locked out of your license. Only if you have registered that lic to your account you can tell MS "I have changed my hardware..." with a button, log in and choose the previous PC-lic you want to use to activate again. Saves real money and headache.

You dont have to use that online account if you dont like it afterwards, I dont use it either. Create a new admin account and wipe that online account if you wish but secure your license across hw changes.

1 hour ago, Kev2go said:

Not that i am in a rush to jump from win 10 to 11. But from whati read intel 8th generation or newer CPU's have tpm that should be compatible with windows 11, even if most MOBO's don't

I did activate TPM2.0 on my 8700k through Asus Bios and it worked, I can also use that function inside VMware now and have 2 Win11 installed, Beta and Dev editions in VMware so far.

Mind you, for VMware, I upgraded two Win10Pro installs, it did not need that TPM function. I enabled it a day after I installed Win11. At least for now and in VMware

you dont need a TPM enabled. Might be needed if install from scratch or in later editions, I simply don't know.

What I know is that the 8700k has a built-in TPM2.0 function via Firmware.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

11 hours ago, BitMaster said:

...BUT if you change MB, CPU or many other components and your Win10 decides to deactivate itslef you are locked out of your license.

Even if I have the purchase receipt and the license retail key? Never heard of such problems.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

10 minutes ago, draconus said:

Even if I have the purchase receipt and the license retail key? Never heard of such problems.

I can confirm that this was (still is?) the case with Volume Licencing and Microsoft Action Pack Subscription.

It has been a while since my last hardware failure so not sure about current builds, however, last year a processor replacement forced a windows reactivation. Microsoft were happy to reset our VL/MAPS counts though.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

On 6/28/2021 at 6:44 AM, Fri13 said:

But good thing is that Windows 10 will be supported long for DCS so...

Just as well because I don't believe that they bring Windows 11 for better performances or quality, they simply are going one step up to what Windows 10 already is, a way to gather user data and control virtually everything you do if you don't castrate it one way of another.

Just checked on Automatic Updates and Medical Service just after login-in, despite being disabled and stopped before I loged out, both service were running again.

When you get updates not only the quality of the drivers ranges from average to mediocre, but on top of this, all your personal settings for sharing (or not) your data can be reset.

When you know that those apps store your phone book, internet use history and contact and that all of this CAN be sent to Microsoft without your consent after an update because your settings are reset, you'll understand why I'll stick to Windows 10 until some guys find some way to shut down all those Win 11 intrusive apps and settings.

Perhaps you think you can trust Microsoft because they make this O.S but when you know that they were hacked and lost more than 60.000 user's data on Marsh 2021, after another attack on Jan 2020 where more than 250 million customer service and support records were lost to hackers, you might want to reconsider this blind trust on them.

In short, even if they alegedly got rid of Bill Gates, it doesn't make them safe or trustworthy. Keep control of your O.S.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-12/hackers-rushed-in-as-microsoft-raced-to-avert-mass-cyber-attack

https://www.silicon.co.uk/cloud/cloud-management/microsoft-breach-250-million-records-331058

Edited by Thinder
  • Like 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

5 hours ago, draconus said:

If you have the KEY it should work but many PC's I services didnt have a key sticker, or didnt have it anymore. That will work and activate as long as you keep the same HW as MS ties that HW checksum to the KEY your Win10 uses, you dont need any MS account for that. Just when you change HW the hassle starts...

Things might work differently if you live in different countries with differing laws etc. I can only speak about Germany and partly about US owned machines operated in Germany ( like a Nato soldiers private PC, which would actually fall under SOFA agreement iirc... now it gets complicated..and I am a PC guy and no lawyer

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

On 6/28/2021 at 7:32 AM, epoch said:

I quit using a local ms account several years ago, or more,, as often the computer would get confused about more than one account..

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR