how to override launch storm atgm missile?

Go to solution Solved by WinterH,

28 minutes ago, IDontLikeBigbrother said:

The storm atgm missile launch zone is really narrow. During a regular attack, I have to press down the helicopter, and the stable hovering status is broken. Is it possible to override the atgm launch zone?

Mi-24 isnt a copter for attack from hover. This is typical sturm attack for heavy helicopter. Here you must do fast low run, attack and turn back for circle again. Thats all, closer to an attack from an attack plane than from a helicopter (light copter and from hover).

7YtrGGi.jpg

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 3

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• Solution
3 hours ago, IDontLikeBigbrother said:

The storm atgm missile launch zone is really narrow. During a regular attack, I have to press down the helicopter, and the stable hovering status is broken. Is it possible to override the atgm launch zone?

DIAFR OPEN switch, to the right of observe switch on the sight switchbox in gunner's cockpit. Some weirdness will follow though, at close ranges a hit is unlikely, and from a low altitude, or with lots of obstacles around like buildings/trees/powerlines, missile may hit them before it's reined in by the guidance. But, the option is there.

Another option is to fire the missile directly ahead, and then bring it smoothly down onto target, and this is apparently done IRL by operators as well. Takes some skill though.

So YoYo is partially right, Mi-24 doesn't particularly like attacking from hover like most helicopters, it can only hover when it is light, not at high altitudes, and it isn't too hot, and it can get more wobbly than what the sight gyros can handle when doing that, so it's extra workload on the operator with still a decent chance to miss. But, it is possible, and right now you have at least two different ways of achieving that. Now, I don't know if DIAFR OPEN thing is realistic, or something that will get removed in future with a fix, but it is possible to use it as a launch authorization override now.

Finally, these only work with a human in the operator seat, if you are working with Petrovich as operator, you will need to follow the actual intented method for the Hind, and align the boresight with the missile sight, and fly towards target.

Edited by WinterH
  • Like 3

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

3 hours ago, YoYo said:

Mi-24 isnt a copter for attack from hover. This is typical sturm attack for heavy helicopter. Here you must do fast low run, attack and turn back for circle again. Thats all, closer to an attack from an attack plane than from a helicopter (light copter and from hover).

2 hours ago, WinterH said:

So YoYo is partically right, Mi-24 doesn't particularly like attacking from hover like most helicopters, it can only hover when it is light, not at high altitudes, and it isn't too hot, and it can get more wobbly than what the sight gyros can handle when doing that, so it's extra workload on the operator with still a decent chance to miss. But, it is possible, and right now you have at least two different ways of achieving that. Now, I don't know if DIAFR OPEN thing is realistic, or something that will get removed in future with a fix, but it is possible to use it as a launch authorization override now.

So, the method is a little bit like ajs37? Pretty cool!

But the ajs37 release all It's ammunition at once, and run away fast. While on mi24, the operator can only control one missile, with the fact that the missile can only reach 5km, during one attack, the operator can fire one missile if the helicopter is really fast, at most 2 missiles. If mi24 wants to fire all the 4 missiles, that means it has to do at least 2 run, maybe even more. She needs to stay on the battle field for longer time, isnt that dangerous?

1 minute ago, IDontLikeBigbrother said:

But the ajs37 release all It's ammunition at once, and run away fast. While on mi24, the operator can only control one missile, with the fact that the missile can only reach 5km, during one attack, the operator can fire one missile if the helicopter is really fast, at most 2 missiles. If mi24 wants to fire all the 4 missiles, that means it has to do at least 2 run, maybe even more. She needs to stay on the battle field for longer time, isnt that dangerous?

Something like that. But remember that these types of helicopters were planned for a massive attack, so usually they flew / fly in several ranges so each had a separate target. If you fly alone, it ends like in Donbass ;>. In this case, you have to make several attacks approaches, usually if you have in plan to use the Cocoon missile its one approach, one target and a quick turn.

The Russians in Syria also adopted an interesting technique of shooting from a distance in horizontal flight from unguided missiles.

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

35 minutes ago, IDontLikeBigbrother said:

Sort of, you fire your missile, and once it hits, you turn back and extend for another run. This suits Mi-24's flight characteristics, she likes being fast, and can get out of any incoming thing's way more gracefully when she's already on the move. Since Shturm has ok range, and is a fairly fast missile for its class, you can still be quite safe from most AAA and even short range IR missiles. Being on the move can actually make it easier to dodge long range AAA fire for example.

But the downsides are you can't do the "hide and lob all the missiles from a safe position" thing well, and you can do 1, rarely 2 attacks per pass, latter is being rather risky. In many ways Mi-24 is more like a fixed wing attacker than classic anti-tank or attack helicopters.

Also, with rockets I totally find Viggen's one-pass-haul-ass tactics to be the correct ones for Hind personally. For example if you are attacking an enemy compound/troop concentration/convoy etc, I usually fire all my rockets from as far away as I can be accurate enough for the target area size, and turn back. If there's still any threatening things alive, I engage them with Shturm, then mop-up with gun. I just find it fun that way 😛

But I'm also trying a mission where I tell Petrovich to hold a hover from low altitude on open terrain, and engage a group of self propelled mortars with Shturms. It works, but not nearly as well as Ka-50 or even Gazelle (aside from longer range than gazelle).

• Like 2

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

7 minutes ago, WinterH said:

But I'm also trying a mission where I tell Petrovich to hold a hover from low altitude on open terrain, and engage a group of self propelled mortars with Shturms. It works, but not nearly as well as Ka-50 or even Gazelle (aside from longer range than gazelle).

I dont know it's the problem of petro ai, or just the flying characteristics of the mi24? When she is flying at slow speed or hovering(under Petro ai), there is always a small amount of oscillation. And through the storm missile aiming sight, this small oscillation is pretty large, the player needs to constantly adjust the aim to aim precisely, or the missile will miss slightly, dealing no damage at all. It pretty annoying.

5 hours ago, WinterH said:

DIAFR OPEN switch, to the right of observe switch on the sight switchbox in gunner's cockpit. Some weirdness will follow though, at close ranges a hit is unlikely, and from a low altitude, or with lots of obstacles around like buildings/trees/powerlines, missile may hit them before it's reined in by the guidance. But, the option is there.

Another option is to fire the missile directly ahead, and then bring it smoothly down onto target, and this is apparently done IRL by operators as well. Takes some skill though.

So YoYo is partially right, Mi-24 doesn't particularly like attacking from hover like most helicopters, it can only hover when it is light, not at high altitudes, and it isn't too hot, and it can get more wobbly than what the sight gyros can handle when doing that, so it's extra workload on the operator with still a decent chance to miss. But, it is possible, and right now you have at least two different ways of achieving that. Now, I don't know if DIAFR OPEN thing is realistic, or something that will get removed in future with a fix, but it is possible to use it as a launch authorization override now.

Finally, these only work with a human in the operator seat, if you are working with Petrovich as operator, you will need to follow the actual intented method for the Hind, and align the boresight with the missile sight, and fly towards target.

Yep, demonstrated here 😉

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi