missile counter measures

JimBo*

i know the Mi-24 doesn't have an IR suppressor at this time. some have said if you equip it in mission editor it has some effect even tho its not visually modeled.

second its the only heli equipped with chaff... just how effective is the chaff? i know it works for fixed wing jets, flying much faster and higher than Mi-24. but does the Mi-24 fly fast enough to disperse the chaff (besides the chaff being deployed at much lower AGL is it already even below what missile can even detect.) and make enough distance from where chaff is deployed to spoof a missile anyway?

i've been trying to test with AI hinds, but for some reason when i try to watch the replay, it shows different almost every time i replay it.

Edited by Porkie
  • Like 1

I hope L-166 Ispanka will be modelled also. Hard to tell is it work or not now, in the settings I see this option.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I was also wondering if selecting chaffs makes that much sense. I tend to take only flares since IR missiles are a more common threat that pops up without warning. Since we got a RWR, we have enough time to adjust our altitude to avoid radar SAMS. It might help if you are flying over very flat terrain or get attacked by a fighter from above. But I guess if that is the case, we already made a huge mistake during mission planning and dropping chaffs won't help that much anymore.

• Like 2

Should still work, beaming will work in the same way, so being down in the clutter should only help really. You don’t have the slipstream to disperse the chaff, but you have a great big fan!

Also don’t forget the prophylactic effects! Popping some chaff at the top of a bump attack if there’s radar SAMs around may make getting a solution take that little bit longer so you can get your shot off and get back down low. 

• Like 1

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

8 hours ago, YoYo said:

I hope L-166 Ispanka will be modelled also. Hard to tell is it work or not now, in the settings I see this option.

They've said it wont be, as it only effects a very narrow selection of threats (pretty much only Strela and Redeye). That and, in the timeframe our bird represents, they'd already been removed or deactivated.

• Like 1