OMG! What is this thing?

32 minutes ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Of course you can. Click on it. Just think of as digital suppository.

Click on the +/ Display picture = proper URL link 😉

9db8d1831f8129417b9afc0b50d50118.jpg

This is an upgrade by South African company "ATE".

Algeria and Azerbaijan were the 2 customers to procure this configuration.

It's bulky, but it seems that avionic upgrade allowed some weight saving the end.

The Super Hind Mk.III Could Be the Best Mi-24 Ever | War Is Boring

Edited by jojo
  • Like 2

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

8 minutes ago, Nealius said:

"No step" on a horizontal surfaces is interesting. Are the maintenance crews Spiderman?

(vertical surfaces you mean 😉 )

They're probably meant as:

"Do not kick in case of malfunction"

• Like 4

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

well the operator can see a lot out of his window 🙂

the no feet thing looks like the cover for the ammo feed for the front gun.

looks like it stores the ammo in the cargo compartment.

Edited by Quadg
  • Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

3 hours ago, Quadg said:

looks like it stores the ammo in the cargo compartment.

I would rather say in the box below the pilot's cockpit door 😉

Helikopter%2BMi-24%2BHind.jpg

Sand filters option...

MI24779h.jpg

Double feed 20mm gun

26231380113_09b960395f_o.jpg

1427910218_01-2.jpg

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

4 hours ago, Quadg said:

well the operator can see a lot out of his window 🙂

LOL!! Poor guy can't see forward anymore!

It's... nice that it's got an aimable cannon... but isn't 20mm a bit of a downgrades for something like this?

Is this model having a power upgrade, to go with the weight? 

Anyone know the missile brand/product name? I'm guessing a new-ish ATGM, maybe a licensed copy of the SPIKE ER or something?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick50 said:

LOL!! Poor guy can't see forward anymore!

It's... nice that it's got an aimable cannon... but isn't 20mm a bit of a downgrades for something like this?

Is this model having a power upgrade, to go with the weight? 

Anyone know the missile brand/product name? I'm guessing a new-ish ATGM, maybe a licensed copy of the SPIKE ER or something?

For the weight, as I said above, they pretend that the avionic upgrade allowed such a reduction weight that it does improve hot and high performances.

So despite the added bulk, this version is supposed to be lighter...but I’m not sure about that.

The missiles options are South African laser guided ZT-3 Ingwe (5km)or Ukrainian Baryer (7.5km)

I would say that the Ingwe looks like a Tow, the Baryer is on the picture above.

• Like 1

Mirage fanatic !

I remember walking around this thing at one of the shows at AFB Waterkloof in Pretoria. It was fugly then, it's fugly now. I laughed at the 'ZU' registration - South African commercial/light civilian aircraft are normally prefixed by 'ZS', with light sport/experimental/non-certified being 'ZU', but they're normally civilian. Bit of a laugh to see a large Hind with bits hanging off with the callsign prefix you'd normally find on Koos with his little Cubby buzzing around Stellenbosch.

4 minutes ago, ARM505 said:

I remember walking around this thing at one of the shows at AFB Waterkloof in Pretoria. It was fugly then, it's fugly now. I laughed at the 'ZU' registration - South African commercial/light civilian aircraft are normally prefixed by 'ZS', with light sport/experimental/non-certified being 'ZU', but they're normally civilian. Bit of a laugh to see a large Hind with bits hanging off with the callsign prefix you'd normally find on Koos with his little Cubby buzzing around Stellenbosch.

The same was true for YF-22 and YF-23. They got N numbers probably under experimental rules which would you normally see at RV-10 and similar aircraft.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

On 6/22/2021 at 8:09 PM, Rick50 said:

Well didn't look up the stats of the gun, but I'm pretty sure it'll be better than other turret mounted options for Hind. YakB and GSh-23L are fine weapons in their own right, but as an attack helicopter gun they are both kinda limited, former being basically a machine gun in the end, and the latter has low muzzle velocity, arcing trajectory, relatively short range, and not particularly great anti-armor capability.

30mm on Mi-24P is great as a gun, but it is a fixed gun in the end. Yes, it fits Hind's "I don't love hovering, I love buzzing around like an attack plane" characteristics, but a movable gun can still be advantageous in many situations.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

1 hour ago, WinterH said:

Well didn't look up the stats of the gun, but I'm pretty sure it'll be better than other turret mounted options for Hind. YakB and GSh-23L are fine weapons in their own right, but as an attack helicopter gun they are both kinda limited, former being basically a machine gun in the end, and the latter has low muzzle velocity, arcing trajectory, relatively short range, and not particularly great anti-armor capability.

30mm on Mi-24P is great as a gun, but it is a fixed gun in the end. Yes, it fits Hind's "I don't love hovering, I love buzzing around like an attack plane" characteristics, but a movable gun can still be advantageous in many situations.

The South African upgrade by ATE uses a French GIAT (now NEXTER) F2 20x139 mm gun like the Rooivalk

800 rpm, muzzle velocity from 1050m/s to 1250m/s depending on ammunition.

GIAT M693 - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games (imfdb.org)

Mirage fanatic !

Was in the BAE Systems Hind demonstrator a long time ago, it had a gunner controlled cannon that while not head tracking could be steered by the gunner using the imager which the gun was slaved to.

They gave me a Hawk mug for my troubles and I should have a brochure on the Hind somewhere.

vLmkSd5.jpg

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron