Nicosia Airport as a functional airport

trelos57

Title pretty self explanatory. Nicosia airport should be functional in DCS in order to allow users to design missions with more scenarios (real or fictional).

For example: -Turkish attack / Cypriot defense of the airport.

-British missions from the airport (includes Interceptions of Italian airplanes during ww2 and missions against Cypriot guerilla fighters during 1955-1959 struggle).

-UN peacekeeping and patrol missions

plus a lot more fictional scenarios.

Edited by trelos57
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I have to ask, what prevents you from using it as-is? You can use invisible FARPs to add rearm/refuel capability and for spawns you can just use ground starts, no?

The map is a 21st century version after all.

• Like 4

Everybody said: "That's impossible!" Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Flying the A-10C for the 107th Joint Aviation Squadron

Developing and creating missions for Through The Inferno

Join the TTI Discord

12 hours ago, Recoil16 said:

I guess I have to ask, what prevents you from using it as-is? You can use invisible FARPs to add rearm/refuel capability and for spawns you can just use ground starts, no?

I tend to agree, apart from Normandy (which seems to cover a 3 year window) the DCS maps tend to simulate a specific date and in reality Nicosia has been abandoned for decades.  If you were tying to build a mission where one side or the other rolled over the DMZ it seems reasonable that it would be used in a very FARP like way. I think having it as a disused site is a neat feature just like the heliports and helipads scattered around the base.  I'd like to see a few more of these type of fields added by just placing down similar hardstand surface to allow jet ops.  I've mentioned PIK airfield  in Israel and the international Arab horse association field in Syria as examples in the past

• Like 1

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

16 hours ago, Recoil16 said:

Never crossed my mind - thanks for the suggestion.

FWIW - it seems as though the airport is half done - you can see what "side" it's on when 'in game' - it's more the mission editor that has issues - but your suggestion will work. Thanks!