Prepare for the Eurofighter

ScoobyRay

Hello together,

I am mostly a navy kinda guy (F-18 and F-14) but being a german myself I am of course hyped for the opportunity to fly the Eurofighter. Since no doubt its gonna take a while to have the first version of it in my account I was wondering what kind of a module that is currently available would be giving us a good idea about the capabilities of the Eurofighter?

Best regards, stay healthy and kick ass!

the F-16 maybe ... ? but i dont think it will help that much tbh... or rather any more than what you are doing now... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

11 hours ago, ScoobyRay said:

Hello together,

I am mostly a navy kinda guy (F-18 and F-14) but being a german myself I am of course hyped for the opportunity to fly the Eurofighter. Since no doubt its gonna take a while to have the first version of it in my account I was wondering what kind of a module that is currently available would be giving us a good idea about the capabilities of the Eurofighter?

Best regards, stay healthy and kick ass!

The closest in my opinion is the F/A-18C. From a pure systems and capability point of view, at least in the AA domain. I'm not talking about AG or particular weapons here and not about the differences in raw performance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spectre11 said:

The closest in my opinion is the F/A-18C. From a pure systems and capability point of view, at least in the AA domain. I'm not talking about AG or particular weapons here and not about the differences in raw performance.

I have to disagree here, or at least partially disagree. It may be true that from a system point of view a hornet is closer to the eurofighter (eg. the Azimuth vs elevation radar view and some other MSI features), but regarding the way its operated the closest ones are definetely the F16 and F15.

The eurofighter is a fighter thought to fight fast and high, the design goal was a fighter able to quickly accelarate to M1.5 and reach Angels 50.000 in order to provide longer reach to its missiles (around 50% more vs other contemporary fighters (looking at you tornado F3) while denying a high pk shot on the adversaries. Given those operating assumptions for me the current F16 is the closest one to mimic that scenario.

Worthy note however, the most similar fighter should be indeed the F15, but due to its simplified nature in DCS and the current overperforming radar of the F16, for sure I think you can currently get a grasp of what BVR is with the typhoon with the F16.

vor 24 Minuten schrieb falcon_120:

I have to disagree here, or at least partially disagree. It may be true that from a system point of view a hornet is closer to the eurofighter (eg. the Azimuth vs elevation radar view and some other MSI features), but regarding the way its operated the closest ones are definetely the F16 and F15.

The eurofighter is a fighter thought to fight fast and high, the design goal was a fighter able to quickly accelarate to M1.5 and reach Angels 50.000 in order to provide longer reach to its missiles (around 50% more vs other contemporary fighters (looking at you tornado F3) while denying a high pk shot on the adversaries. Given those operating assumptions for me the current F16 is the closest one to mimic that scenario.

Worthy note however, the most similar fighter should be indeed the F15, but due to its simplified nature in DCS and the current overperforming radar of the F16, for sure I think you can currently get a grasp of what BVR is with the typhoon with the F16.

Now that is an interesting point. And while adding its a shame we dont have a high fidelity F-15 that is what I was looking for. System wise relearning things shouldnt be that tough I imagine. Especially since the Eurofighter is supposed to be "kinda intuitive" in that department. Thanks for pointing out the way they both fight. I believe one has to be aware of its current planes mentality to do well in it. 

4 hours ago, falcon_120 said:

I don't think that you disagree with me at all, you are just looking at it from a different perspective and from the perspective you are looking from I agree. At the end you'll nonetheless need to learn the ins and outs both in terms of MMI, system performance/capabilities and plain A/C performance/handling characteristics. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb Spectre11:

I don't think that you disagree with me at all, you are just looking at it from a different perspective and from the perspective you are looking from I agree. At the end you'll nonetheless need to learn the ins and outs both in terms of MMI, system performance/capabilities and plain A/C performance/handling characteristics. 

No doubt system wise everything will be kinda different. I was not sure how to specify what I meant. Iam still very new to DCS. But I think I grasped that every Fighter wants to approach combat different. And Iam looking more for a spritual relative to the Eurofighter regarding this matter. 

Though Iam a bit skeptical about the current state of the Viper I think Im gonna give it a spin. Thanks guys for elaborating on this matter. 

Stay safe 

I would say the JF-17 is the closest to the Eurofighter right now. The Jeff is the most moder aircrafts in DCS and its the only plane with a true glass cockpit. It doesnt have the same performance like the F-16 but its regrades the avionics, the closest thing.

My skins

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More interesting will be the different behaviour while pulling 9g. In a lightweight configuration the Eurofighter can pull them until it's out of fuel. I.e. the plane may even get faster and tend to overshoot planes like the F-16. So now instead of releasing the stick to find and keep the speed with the max. sustained turnrate, you'll have to release the throttle... or climb / go vertical, of course.

That's e.g. the reason why the EF in the anouncement trailer is beginning with lower altitude than the Jeff and at least keeps it's altitude while the Jeff has to descent to keep the turnrate as high as possible.

The Eurofighter is basically a Viper with - roughly - double the amount of thrust and much better avionics. And with the AMK update, "better" alpha. And Meteor. 🙂 

Unfortunately, the Viper in DCS is still somewhat underperforming in certain regions of its flight envelope.

There's an episode of "The Fighter Pilot Podcast" on the Typhoon with a Luftwaffe pilot who also flew the Viper, where he compares the two.

16 hours ago, Lynnux said:

There's also an episode of "The Fighter Pilot Podcast" with Paul Godfrey, former British Harrier, F-16 exchange and Typhoon pilot:

Psst, thats aircrew interview not the FPP 😉

The Typhoon FPP interview is this one

• Like 1

You can't really use any other aircraft to prepare for the Typhoon. Best is to read the open-source systems materian and reference the avionics manual that is floating around. From a pure pilots and operating perspective the Typhoon should be a piece of cake to learn.

• Like 3