What it takes to activate 30 mm cannon on hot ground start?

Fri13

What does Petrovich need to do in the front cockpit to make 30 mm cannon possible be shot?

Player can make the rockets launchable just by flipping few switches and selecting "rockets" in his weapons panel, but not the 30 mm cannon.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• ED Team

The only thing Petrovich does to enable firing non-ATGM weapons is hit the large weapon arm switch in the front seat on the left side. Looks like 4 switches in a row with a rectangular paddle welded around all of them. I just mapped it to a keybind to toggle it from the back cockpit.

Otherwise when you tell him to ready weapons, he flips that switch and then warms up all the ATGM-related stuff.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

11 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

The only thing Petrovich does to enable firing non-ATGM weapons is hit the large weapon arm switch in the front seat on the left side. Looks like 4 switches in a row with a rectangular paddle welded around all of them. I just mapped it to a keybind to toggle it from the back cockpit.

Otherwise when you tell him to ready weapons, he flips that switch and then warms up all the ATGM-related stuff.

Doesn't help. That is up, but cannon can't be fired. Rockets go, but cannon stays silent. I get cannon active only after some time when Petrovich has launched couple missiles or I have put 1/2-3/4 of rockets out. Sometimes it has worked as first thing, but that has been rare. I just need to wait that Petrovich says that weapons are ready, use rockets and let him launch missiles and then check is it that time possible use a cannon. 

So he does something in his cockpit to enable cannon fire.

• ED Team
8 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

Doesn't help. That is up, but cannon can't be fired. Rockets go, but cannon stays silent. I get cannon active only after some time when Petrovich has launched couple missiles or I have put 1/2-3/4 of rockets out. Sometimes it has worked as first thing, but that has been rare.

Hmm, strange. Let me see if I can reproduce.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• ED Team

Just ran two tests.  Created new mission with two Mi-24P's on Batumi.  One set to "Takeoff from parking hot" [Hot Start] and the other set to "Takeoff from ramp" [Cold Start].  Both aircraft had 30mm pre-loaded.

1) Loaded into Hot Start, flipped SAFETY SWITCHES to ON in front set, flipped FIRE CNTRL switch to ON in back seat, rotated knob to FXD MG-30, got the illuminated "30" on the ASP-17 indicator, and pulled the trigger.  Started firing.
2) Loaded into Cold Start, started aircraft normally, and repeated the steps in the first test.  Same result.

Never did anything with Petrovich.  No issues.
BTW, according to the Quickstart manual, the FXD MG-30 RELOAD button and the left and right RECHARGE buttons aren't supposed to be simulated, so you shouldn't need to mess with those since gun jams aren't simulated.

DCS Rotor-Head

4 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Just ran two tests.  Created new mission with two Mi-24P's on Batumi.  One set to "Takeoff from parking hot" [Hot Start] and the other set to "Takeoff from ramp" [Cold Start].  Both aircraft had 30mm pre-loaded.

1) Loaded into Hot Start, flipped SAFETY SWITCHES to ON in front set, flipped FIRE CNTRL switch to ON in back seat, rotated knob to FXD MG-30, got the illuminated "30" on the ASP-17 indicator, and pulled the trigger.  Started firing.
2) Loaded into Cold Start, started aircraft normally, and repeated the steps in the first test.  Same result.

Never did anything with Petrovich.  No issues.

On me it doesn't happen that way. It stays silent.

Seems that I need to fill a report with track file for it. 

BTW, according to the Quickstart manual, the FXD MG-30 RELOAD button and the left and right RECHARGE buttons aren't supposed to be simulated, so you shouldn't need to mess with those since gun jams aren't simulated.

I expected that, as it should be for the jammed weapon, but tried it few times nevertheless if it would help for some reason (why included it in those all). 

Edited by Fri13

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

On me it doesn't happen that way. It stays silent.

Seems that I need to fill a report with track file for it. 

Did you start off empty and then load weapons after getting into the aircraft?  This might be a bug report if someone else hasn't filed it already.

EDIT: Scratch that possibility, still functioned normally....hmmm

Edited by Raptor9

DCS Rotor-Head

1 minute ago, Raptor9 said:

Did you start off empty and then load weapons after getting into the aircraft?  This might be a bug report if someone else hasn't filed it already.

I didn't. A pre-made weapon loadout.

I just don't get my head around as everything should be properly set. 

Made a quick hot-ramp start-up test for a track file. 

Temp_1.trk

temp_1.jpg

If you can check that does it happen to show on you that I would be firing the cannon before and after rockets, it could solve that it is just on my side?

• ED Team
18 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

If you can check that does it happen to show on you that I would be firing the cannon before and after rockets, it could solve that it is just on my side?

Just replicated your actions in the track exactly, and it fired before and after the rockets.  I'm at a loss.

• Thanks 1

DCS Rotor-Head

1 minute ago, Raptor9 said:

Just replicated your actions in the track exactly, and it fired before and after the rockets.  I'm at a loss.

Thanks for confirming that it is on my end.

The slow repair didn't offer any help. But this was a fresh new install (clear user configs and DCS).

Just now, iFoxRomeo said:

It is not the first 30mm weapon on the weapon selector. It's the last one. 

Fox

Mi-24 30mm.jpg

Reload is not necessary.

I realized that you set it correctly 5 seconds after hitting the submit button. 

For some unknown reason my smartphone didn't show all replies after the third or so

Fox

Edited by iFoxRomeo
Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

1 minute ago, iFoxRomeo said:

Reload is not necessary.

It isn't, but tested it anyways to make sure that there wouldn't be some odd random change to have a jam.

1 minute ago, iFoxRomeo said:

I think I found your problem.

Did you use a preset loadout? It appears you chose yourself.

In your track I can't shoot the 30mm also. But once I remove all weapons via the "empty" loadout, the 30mm shoots without me having to change a switch.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

10 minutes ago, iFoxRomeo said:

I think I found your problem.

Did you use a preset loadout? It appears you chose yourself.

I only use presets because custom brakes the system. It is the second last, the only one with S-5 rockets (editor says name as "4xUB-32+4xATGM_9M114")

10 minutes ago, iFoxRomeo said:

In your track I can't shoot the 30mm also. But once I remove all weapons via the "empty" loadout, the 30mm shoots without me having to change a switch.

Fox

I just checked my first three flights in the Tacview on the release day, the cannon works perfectly fine then.

Now today the cannon doesn't work. Same mission, same loadout, all untouched since the last flight. 

30 minutes ago, iFoxRomeo said:

Did you try to remove the weapons in your track?

Just checked the trackfile. And I found the solution.

For some reason I have empty cannon at the start. And this is related to another bug in the editor that user "Teppis" mentioned in another thread how mission editor uses client/user settings and not the editor settings! And I tested it with AV-8B Harrier. I set in the mission editor last week quickly for a new test mission for AV-8B Harrier a infinite weapons and I removed ammunition from the Harrier. 

That has been translated to all my modules and missions!

When I now load any earlier mission (before Hind was even released), all the client/player planes where I step in gets infinite weapons AND zero gun ammunition.

The reason why I can't fire cannon on start, is that I have 0%. 

I have infinite ammunition, that means once I launch all the rockets, it rearms itself in the air and 0% for gun becomes 100% for gun. And that is moment when the gun starts working. 

I did notice that I had some problems with the rockets at some moment, as suddenly last launch was just a couple rockets, and then only left side of the pods launched last series. I didn't register that as I stopped using rockets on that moment, even when I wondered how the last rockets could be launched only from left pods. 

I didn't allow Petrovich to use more than four missiles as that is what I have only, so never saw him launching more than four. 

This doesn't explain that why on "Raptor9" the cannon fires cannon before and after rockets on my track file....

(although I don't know what he exactly means with "replicated"). 

So I have made the change in new mission for AV-8B (nothing to do with Mi-24 or the test mission for it), and then I have loaded the Mi-24 mission and wondered the cannon problem, even when it earlier worked properly. And I have saved the track from that mission here and it is empty as well.

Addition: I just rechecked that I created new mission, changed the Mi-24P gun ammunition to 100% and saved the mission.

Now other older missions I load there is 100% ammunition again, as should. 

• ED Team
4 hours ago, Fri13 said:

This doesn't explain that why on "Raptor9" the cannon fires cannon before and after rockets on my track file....

(although I don't know what he exactly means with "replicated"). 

I should have clarified that I replicated your switch/button order on mine, as in flipped the same switches in the same order to see if it was a procedural thing.  I didn't use your track file, I made a mission from scratch to troubleshoot if I could replicate the problem on my install, and if so, then it would probably lead to a bug report if we could determine it wasn't an issue with the Mi-24 procedure itself.

In any case, good thing the issue is resolved and the gun is blasting as it should.

DCS Rotor-Head