Suggestion: Add ATGM Infantry / TOW Systems

With more and more focus on helicopters in DCS many missions/multiplayer maps integrate supporting ground war with helicopters. Ciribob's CTLD and sling loading scripts make creating and positioning units with helicopters very popular and relevant on the battlefield. In order to support this, ED should make dismounted infantry armed with man portable ATGMs or tripod based ATGM systems such Javelin, TOW, Konkurs, Metis, and others in order to:

a.) increase the survivability and viability of infantry in open landscapes particularly in Syria & Persian Gulf against vehicles by equipping them with standoff weapons. Currently RPG systems are the only option, and their limited range constrains effectiveness.

b.) further increase the relevance of combined arms helicopter tactics / air assault infantry to create a more integrated 'digital combat' simulator vice a flight simulator

This would create interesting mission sets for helicopter pilots such as dropping ATGM teams on high features and key terrain.

For your consideration.

1024px-Airborne_troops_of_Russia_%26_SOF

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

In DCS, you can use a MANPADS unit as a boots on the ground JTAC as it can use the binos, pop smoke and launch flares.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

+1 more types of infantry would be very welcome, this absolutely included.

• Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

They can’t add such powerful weapon without improve the damage model in ground units. Right now we get a very basic damage model like a hit everywhere will be a kill and like so is not smart add ATGM man unit.  

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9 minutes ago, pepin1234 said:

They can’t add such powerful weapon without improve the damage model in ground units. Right now we get a very basic damage model like a hit everywhere will be a kill and like so is not smart add ATGM man unit.  

Well the aircraft fired ATGMs are often more powerful than vehicle or man-portable systems seen here. We already have vehicle fired ATGMs of which a man-portable version often exists (such as the BGM-71), the 9M113 as seen in the OP, already exists on the BMP-2.

So given that, I don't see why not.

And on some vehicles there is some element of differentiation of armour thickness, but it seems like it's pretty basic compared to what you'd expect in a tank sim. The other thing is modelling the physical weapon effects.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

AI under 10-20% (Have not tested exact percent)stop firing and can barely move.

In general AI under 50% have degraded accuracy, aiming time and movement speed. In case of radars (at least ground based), when they reach 50% their radar stops working.

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

The addition of a variety of crew served weapons would be good. In particular medium and heavy machine guns and ATGM teams. Right now you have to place light armoured vehicles (BRDM etc) if you want anything between 7.62mmx39 and 23mm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen a 50 on a hummer but normally CAV can have some hummers with TOW's. The back of the battery box under the passenger seat has accommodations for passing power to the system,

3 hours ago, AH6OY said:

I've seen a 50 on a hummer but normally CAV can have some hummers with TOW's. The back of the battery box under the passenger seat has accommodations for passing power to the system,

Pretty sure we already have an HMMWV TOW carrier.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 9:35 AM, Draken35 said:

+1 

And give the boots laser designators and comms so we can have dismounted JTACs (with laser designation capabilities)

Well... Well... Well...

Open Beta 2.7.5, not sure if its a bug or it is an intended feature but the M4 Soldier is capable of lasing targets!!! I set up a mission with an M4 Soldier and a target at 3000 feet, to test the range of WP and decided to try laser designation (since it was not greyed out in the menu) and it did work!!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1