Suggestion: Add ATGM Infantry / TOW Systems

Sapper31

With more and more focus on helicopters in DCS many missions/multiplayer maps integrate supporting ground war with helicopters. Ciribob's CTLD and sling loading scripts make creating and positioning units with helicopters very popular and relevant on the battlefield. In order to support this, ED should make dismounted infantry armed with man portable ATGMs or tripod based ATGM systems such Javelin, TOW, Konkurs, Metis, and others in order to:

a.) increase the survivability and viability of infantry in open landscapes particularly in Syria & Persian Gulf against vehicles by equipping them with standoff weapons. Currently RPG systems are the only option, and their limited range constrains effectiveness.

b.) further increase the relevance of combined arms helicopter tactics / air assault infantry to create a more integrated 'digital combat' simulator vice a flight simulator

This would create interesting mission sets for helicopter pilots such as dropping ATGM teams on high features and key terrain.

For your consideration.

1024px-Airborne_troops_of_Russia_%26_SOF

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

In DCS, you can use a MANPADS unit as a boots on the ground JTAC as it can use the binos, pop smoke and launch flares.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

+1 more types of infantry would be very welcome, this absolutely included.

• Like 5

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 7/25/2021 at 10:49 AM, pepin1234 said:

They can’t add such powerful weapon without improve the damage model in ground units. Right now we get a very basic damage model like a hit everywhere will be a kill and like so is not smart add ATGM man unit.  

Well the aircraft fired ATGMs are often more powerful than vehicle or man-portable systems seen here. We already have vehicle fired ATGMs of which a man-portable version often exists (such as the BGM-71), the 9M113 as seen in the OP, already exists on the BMP-2.

So given that, I don't see why not.

And on some vehicles there is some element of differentiation of armour thickness, but it seems like it's pretty basic compared to what you'd expect in a tank sim. The other thing is modelling the physical weapon effects.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

AI under 10-20% (Have not tested exact percent)stop firing and can barely move.

In general AI under 50% have degraded accuracy, aiming time and movement speed. In case of radars (at least ground based), when they reach 50% their radar stops working.

• Thanks 1

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

The addition of a variety of crew served weapons would be good. In particular medium and heavy machine guns and ATGM teams. Right now you have to place light armoured vehicles (BRDM etc) if you want anything between 7.62mmx39 and 23mm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 12:31 PM, AH6OY said:

I've seen a 50 on a hummer but normally CAV can have some hummers with TOW's. The back of the battery box under the passenger seat has accommodations for passing power to the system,

Pretty sure we already have an HMMWV TOW carrier.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 1

System:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 9:35 AM, Draken35 said:

+1 

And give the boots laser designators and comms so we can have dismounted JTACs (with laser designation capabilities)

Well... Well... Well...

Open Beta 2.7.5, not sure if its a bug or it is an intended feature but the M4 Soldier is capable of lasing targets!!! I set up a mission with an M4 Soldier and a target at 3000 feet, to test the range of WP and decided to try laser designation (since it was not greyed out in the menu) and it did work!!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Crew Served weapons has a very old request on DCS, but the problem, that can require Mocap to build propper animations, animatins and funtionality and none build a "static" siting duck. Other problem has the "FPS has only build if a military client claim them", by Simon / Wags on old interviews.

About ATGM crew server, actually we have:
- 9M14 Malyutka
- 9K111 Fagot
- 9M113 Konkurs
- 9K115 Metis
- 9K115-2 Metis-M
- 9M133 Kornet
- BGM-71 TOW
- FGM-77 (3D model on DCS directories).
All need build fire post and funtionality to interact with ATGM squads. Others missing as Milan and others. Not sure, but CA was bassed on a JTAC desktop trainer to British Army, not sure if that can require a contract renewed and aproval to add infantry JTAC and others.

• 6 months later...

Must add more infantry

- shoulder-launched missiles for all nationality (LRAC F1, Javelin, NLaw, RPG-76 Komar, RPG-30...)
 - ATGM on tripod : Kornet, MILAN, TOW, Konkurs, Stugna-P
 - Snipers (long range)
 - Anti material Rifles (Soldiers who can snipe vehicule)

And for terrorisms : 

- Manpads on pickup trucks
 - Mortars on pickup trucks.
 - Kornet on pickup trucks.

Edited by Kappa-131st
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

This thread shouldn't be just a suggestion for ED and its community members to consider, it should be an absolute priority on ED's to-do list!

I just picked up the Mi-8/BS combo sale and really happy I did. But not because I have hours of flying experience in both modules. In fact you might say I haven't even finished opening the box. But what becomes instantly clear after installing the module and opening it for the first time is the amount and level of detail that has gone into both of these birds. I know, its DCS and having used other flight models, why would I expect anything else than a beautifully crafted digital model of the real thing.

Note to ED, I will be adding the other rotary winged aircraft to my hangar.

Having said that, my recent purchase has also further highlighted something I was already well aware of. The disparity in detail/functionality between air/ground/sea units is so stark that you might not realize your actually still using DCS if your not in-flight.

Bump-bump!

We really need a lot more infantry/weapon variation, also through factions and periods. But even then, with the current way ground AI work, they'd still be mostly window dressing to be mowed down by vehicles, while simultaneously sniping a speeding helicopter through that one little gap among trees with an RPG-7 round 😛

• Like 2

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script