P51 overheating since update

chase

Anyone else Experiencing over heating?  The temp is pinned. only way to fly is with Invincible on. Even then a a white trail of smoke behind. I know the proper engine parameters.  I'm just now after updating to current beta noticed this. i tried opening everything to include both switches on left to open and not auto. I'm guessing it's a new bug, just curious if others are experiencing this. If so I'll make a track for ED. Thanks.

Dave.

It is always had been like that, only change is that most servers uses summer temps and the P-51 overheat crazy.

It flies good at temps up to 15C above that it overheats a lot. Cooling modeling is broken for sure.

It is not fault of automatic system because from my experience it works fine, it is just poor coolant radiator efficiency at low speeds. 

Yes white smoke was added to show that coolant excessive pressure relive  valve was opened to reduce coolant pressure.

ED said that new cooling modeling is coming for all ww2 planes.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, flygav said:

turn on ram air and keep MF pressure in yellow or it will blow eng 

Pretty sure the Ram Air has been broken for a while now.... there is a user fix though. I think this is why everyone keeps blowing the engine. Nothing really changed with the engine afaik... it's just that the in cockpit controls are broken.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3317307/

ASUS ROG G701VI-XS72K 17.3" - i7 7820HK - GTX 1080 8GB - 32 GB 2666mhz - 512 GB SSD - Win10 Pro 64-Bit - T̶r̶a̶c̶k̶I̶R̶5̶ - Samsung Odyssey HMD!! (Amazing!!) - X56 Rhino HOTAS

RAM air is not reason why P-51 overheats so much, Missing ram air is reducing performance above critical altitude, w/o RAM air engaged forget about flying above 30k even at 25k engine power will suffer quite a lot.

Here is recording showing RAM air impact, i was cycling ram air off and on via axis command which is only way to make it work w/o moding game files.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

9 hours ago, flygav said:

turn on ram air and keep MF pressure in yellow or it will blow eng 

Keep MP in yellow i don't know what this mean at all, no gauge in P-51 has yellow arc iirc.

My advice on cooling problem in P-51 is,

First set your mission ambient temp to 15C or lower

Before take off, in climb or when ever you expect that speed will be low at high power settings open cooling doors fully, put it back to auto once you gain speed or reduced power not because AUTO can't open them fully, it can, problem is that opening rate is way too low when speed or power settings are changing rapidly.

Problem with overheating is much lower when ambient temp is below 15C

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 1

It seems to me to be relatd to the whole ram air that got messed up and, as far as I know, never official addressed by ED.

I have to make sure that I pull both levers back then hold them forward for about 5 or 6 seconds (keybinds) regardless of what the cockpit modeled position is or else, at some point during the flight/fight, the engine oil temp will peg left and my engine will be dead.

If I do hold the levers forward for a few seconds after the lever show full forward, I do not have this problem.

so is the P-51 essentially borked for dogfighting? at the moment? i was also trying to fight today and kept hearing a popping sound then white smoke out the back 😞

This doesn't happen to me in the other war birds. i can full throttle the P-47 all day and its fine

1-p511.jpg

1-p512.jpg

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

You need to watch coolant temp all the time. I tell it once again Mustang overheats same way as it did 2-3 year earlier, what changed is this new damage model which includes rapid lost of power and white smoke. That was not before recent updates.

Before your coolant temp shoots out to 150C but you just didn't noticed it because there was no consequence of this, engine could seizure later in flight nothing more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grafspee said:

You need to watch coolant temp all the time. I tell it once again Mustang overheats same way as it did 2-3 year earlier, what changed is this new damage model which includes rapid lost of power and white smoke. That was not before recent updates.

Before your coolant temp shoots out to 150C but you just didn't noticed it because there was no consequence of this, engine could seizure later in flight nothing more.

i tried this again but this time flipped my radiator switches to both full open right before the dogfight and i could let 'er rip and didn't worry about coming close to overheating. seemed like i found the key

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

19 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

so is the P-51 essentially borked for dogfighting? at the moment? i was also trying to fight today and kept hearing a popping sound then white smoke out the back 😞

This doesn't happen to me in the other war birds. i can full throttle the P-47 all day and its fine

I only have this problem (and I DO have this very same problem) if I do not ensure that the ram and carburator systems are full lever forward regardless of what they look like in the cockpit.

I have them bound to keys.  I pull them back individually, then run them forward individually holding them a few seconds after they show full forward just to be sure.  WHen I do this, I do not have this crazy, out of the blue overheat out of nowhere problem unless I fly too slow and with too much power for too long (as expected)

12 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

i tried this again but this time flipped my radiator switches to both full open right before the dogfight and i could let 'er rip and didn't worry about coming close to overheating. seemed like i found the key

I have no idea why, but I've found that if I flip only the oil rad full open and keep the other automatic, coolant rarely overheats. I know that sounds crazy but it works. I prefer it that way because there seems to be less drag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, baylor703 said:

I have no idea why, but I've found that if I flip only the oil rad full open and keep the other automatic, coolant rarely overheats. I know that sounds crazy but it works. I prefer it that way because there seems to be less drag.

interesting. i was thinking the coolant flap seems like it would induce a bit of drag. ill try this

On 8/16/2021 at 11:46 PM, dresoccer4 said:

interesting. i was thinking the coolant flap seems like it would induce a bit of drag. ill try this

As a note, I've found that during my climbs to altitude, you'll never keep up with AI flights in a campaign. And i am constantly switching my radiators from auto to open back to auto in order to keep them in the green. However when at briefed altitude, i set them to Auto and rarely need to worry about them in combat or the return leg. 

System: Ryzen 5900x, G.Skill 3600 32GB, MSI 4090 suprim liquid X, samsung odyssey+ headset 

4 hours ago, sigfan86 said:

As a note, I've found that during my climbs to altitude, you'll never keep up with AI flights in a campaign.

I can attest to this. I have the same issue in the Spitifre campaigns. AI can climb unrealistically across the board. +3,000fpm at 120KCAS and 4.6° AoA. I'm struggling to keep +1,500fpm at 128KCAS 3.3° AoA, max power. 

• 3 weeks later...

Strange, I’m flying Reflected’s Blue Nosed Bastards campaign and not having trouble keeping up with climbing AI.  I do trim to keep the ball centered, pitch to 175 kts, MP between 51 and 56, RPM around 2900.   This is to about 24k-25k to get just on top of the bomber formation. 

6633B05E-CCDA-4DC0-9849-0B1BF1212799.jpeg

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

You know 51-56" and 2900 is kind of serious power for just keeping with AI, you should be in low cruise settings not almost military power. 

Something like 30" at 2200-2300rpm. For climb until cruise alt 46" 2700rpm ofc.

Edited by grafspee

Yes, I should have stated that I'm aware of the aircraft limitations and that IMHO, you should be able to keep up with climbing AI at something like max continuous, 46/2700.  But since it's a known bug for all DCS WW2 aircraft, chose to push the engine a little harder, something in between max continuous and military.  Once you reach the bomber stream, you can throttle back to max con and easily patrol in your assigned position, then go to military when engaged.  I do keep an eye on temps and adjust MP, RPM, and coolers as necessary.  My philosophy is that since it's broken for all of us and the AI, I can either fudge a little and enjoy all of the missions and campaigns while waiting for an update, or watch them fly away.  The AAA are too accurate too, but that's another discussion. 😀

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

On 9/15/2021 at 11:09 PM, Chipwich said:

My philosophy is that since it's broken for all of us and the AI, I can either fudge a little and enjoy all of the missions and campaigns while waiting for an update, or watch them fly away. 

Yes. I totally agree with you.

I should have added that it seems that ED have the engine limitations correct, but not the aircraft performance that goes with them.

Update:

Also note that the Ram Air function is not working now, so you would be missing several inches of manifold pressure.

The discussion about this bug was recently closed for some reason.

Edited by Terry Dactil

Update:
Also note that the Ram Air function is not working now, so you would be missing several inches of manifold pressure.
The discussion about this bug was recently closed for some reason.

Not only have they not yet addressed this AND locked the thread, it seems that the latest beta update reverted the work around so I have to go back and manually fix tha lua again