Time to upgrade computer..need help

Hey everyone, having issues running 2.7 on my laptop (HP Envy)...previous version runs great on medium settings but 2.7 is almost unplayable with low fps and Syria I purchased is out of the question-haven’t been able to run it even with low settings..I know I’m not the only one with issues with 2.7 but here’s my question... 

First off I’m horrible when it comes to computer lingo, not very knowledgeable when it comes to computers...what would be a good computer I could buy out of the box that would run 2.7 on high settings. I’m trying to stay under $3000 (if possible)..eventually I would also like to get into VR. If it makes a difference, I’m all about mission editor-creating big missions with lots of aircraft/targets..so guessing I need something with lots of memory. 

Any suggestions on a computer or do I need to have a friend custom build one for the most part? Really don’t want to spend more than that if at all possible...Ive also heard some of the top of the line computers won’t run dcs well for one reason or the other...thanks in advance for the help. 🤣

Edited by Mjm8710

I'd suggest to have someone that knows what they are doing make you a custom build,

the problem with pre built computers are that they are trying to lower their price and the way to do that is to put in some low end components, then to flash you with 3080 graphics card and a oveclocked CPU, but they don't tell that you have low quality motherboard, and slow speed memory so the end result is not so good as the advert says;P There is always some catch in there.

There is a problem with the market for some time now, there is a shortage of semiconductors, which is stomping on not just the computer industry but many other industries, like car industry etc...

That resulted in skyrocketing of prices and shortage of components, specially graphics cards, I can sell my used 2060 Super for more then I bought it new back when I was building my computer.

Anyways with 3000$ you can put together a nice build, but be aware that the GPU will eat at least 1000$ with some cards going up to 4000$.

Bad times for building computers my friend;P

Good luck.

• Like 2

I would not upgrade now . Prices are why too high if you can hold off for a year or even 6months you would save some money  . 

But if you have money then no problem . Even second hand GPUs are through the roof . .

I would Go Ryzen CPU .

Most game today run fine on Quad Core . 

GPU . well YouTube has plenty of info but getting your hands on a RX3070 or a RX6800 will be expensive . 

Definitely need 32GB ram 3200mhz at least . 2 x 16GB . 

1TB . SSD drive . M2 just for DCS . 

1TB hardrive .

Motherboard well again YouTube .

I like ASrock . . again do your research . 

But Syria runs bad on most systems .🤣

When I load Syria I'm using nearly 32GB of ram straight away . 

And VR well if your new to this i would get the Quest2 . But you need to be on Facebook to activate it .

I hate Facebook but There are settings now that gives you more privacy . 

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Thanks for the responses both of you...I appreciate it. I guess I’m in for the wait and stay 2.5 for as long as I can. It’s so hard seeing all these YouTube videos and screenshots-DCS is becoming absolutely breathtaking...the jets look almost photorealistic (the terrain is slowwwwllyy coming along too). Guess I’ll re-evaluate things in 6 months to a year and see where we are at. This sim seems to be increasing in settings constantly so might be worth the wait anyways. Thanks again! :)

U$2000 will easily get you a machine with AMD 5600x or Intel 11400k/11700k, 3070, 16GB of decent ram, and a 1TB M.2. I did exactly that just last month through Canada Computers. Hmm, it's even $200 cheaper now (CDN prices).

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=1446_1448&item_id=194305

Asus Tuf Mini-ITX, Gigabyte 3070 Gaming OC, TridentZ 3600 RAM...

Was really very decent during the computer-apocalypse...

Continue to research, GPU stock is starting to arrive and sort of stay in stock (newegg.ca).

FWIW, I prefer Intel K series CPUs for the flexibility of future overclocking and iGPU for capture without needing add-in cards/devices. That said, the 5600X in that build above plays DCS quite nicely. Whatever floats 'yer boat.

I should add, I have another machine with a 11700k, 3060Ti (Gigabyte Eagle OC). If you do NVIDIA skip the 3060Ti and go with the 3070. Noticebly better in DCS and in general. For the sake of the price difference get the 3070.

I have no experience with modern AMD GPUs so can't speak to that.

Edited by reece146

Hi mate this is my exact spec and it runs DCS perfectly on 1440p and 4k flat panel at 60fps on ultra/high settings. Lots of eye candy basically.

AMD 5600x, Intel obviously is an option but this just works. An Intel system will work just as well.

MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi, B550 should work just as well

MSI 6800xt, (MSI 2080ti before ran lovely) If your 1440p or below AMD 6700xt or Nvidia 3060 Ti should be fine

32gb Gskill 3200mhz C14 ddr4. Most 3200mhz C16 will do just fine but fit 32gb

Corsair 850w psu, the custom builder should know what to fit

Sabrent Rocket 1tb Nvme. Any decent SSD will be fine, 1tb should be enough it depends on your game library

The brand is a personal chioce, Asus MSI, Gigabyte or Asrock are all solid options. For $3000 I would imagine you could put an order along this spec in with a good well known custom computer builder and you might face a 2-3 month wait at most. The wait would probably be caused by the GPU. If you left your options open regarding that it could be a matter of weeks. I reckon you could factor in a decent monitor too.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

If you build new, consider 64GB if it fits the bill.

I bought Syria recently and suddenly VMware is not the only app I run that eats through those 32GB.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

This is not actually what's going on. Install MSI Afterburner OSD and watch your RAM/Pagefile there. Syria is using a good part of those 32GB.

In task Manager you have a tainted, misleading view.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Iirc task manager only shows the memory used by the exe file, not the associated dll's that are loaded and such.

When I was testing the Channel map when it first came out it was using ~24 GB.

Edited by reece146

Made some screenshots, SP, P-47, Syria, Instant Action Free Flight, dead simple, look at the RAM before I even hit fly:

DCS_2021_06_22_14_25_57_466.jpg

Unbenannt.JPG

Yep measuring using afterburner or Radeon utility I regularly see up to 20-26 GB used. Especially on Syria. It can change based on your pre-load radius setting too.

I don't use multi player but I can imagine it would easily push it close to or over 32gb.