HB Landing tutorial?

Donut

Is there a chance that we could get an official Heatblur Case I landing tutorial video?  With the new burble effect and of course how difficult landing is to begin with, for me seeing is better than reading when it comes to this stuff.

In addition, it would be great to get a whole bunch of official Heatblur Tomcat tutorial videos, like the one's Wags provides. 

Edited by Donut
  • Like 2

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I think I'm gradually getting my head around it after a couple of dozen passes now, but I'd love someone to show us some technique with the input window on screen.  I'd also really like to get a run-down on what we can do to make the burble stronger or weaker in the mission editor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biggus said:

but I'd love someone to show us some technique with the input window on screen.

Yes, this would help greatly as well.  To be able to see throttle inputs, and most importantly...the amount of longitudinal stick input used to stay on speed/AoA.

Edited by Donut
  • Like 1

I decided to go and practice and tape the session since you guys were asking for it. This is my first hour of dealing with the burble effect. It's not that bad, really. My approaches aren't the best, but I'm fairly confident with one more session I should have it nailed down... feel free to ask questions. Enjoy!

Setup:

No wind

Carrier going 26-27 knots

Starting at the 90 for each segment.

Did hook up passes until I ran out of fuel.

@IronMike Please convey my thanks to everyone at HB. The burble made CASE Is interesting again. I actually enjoyed this quite a lot and the added challenge is much appreciated. Very well done. I'm now waiting for the main gear damage to be implemented, that's really the only missing piece to force us into being honest behind the boat. 🙂

Edit: Oh yeah, I can't make a post about CASE Is without bringing up my pet peeve... that wake is a joke. It's actually disgusting how we can't have a proper visual wake. I can only imagine how useful it would be, but I'm sure it must be helpful for the initial lineup at the 90 and for rolling into the groove. ED should get on that... this is not okay.

This would be nice:

image.png

Edited by Slant
  • Like 5

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

20 minutes ago, Slant said:

I decided to go and practice and tape the session since you guys were asking for it. This is my first hour of dealing with the burble effect. It's not that bad, really. My approaches aren't the best, but I'm fairly confident with one more session I should have it nailed down... feel free to ask questions. Enjoy!

Setup:

No wind

Carrier going 26-27 knots

Starting at the 90 for each segment.

Did hook up passes until I ran out of fuel.

@IronMike Please convey my thanks to everyone at HB. The burble made CASE Is interesting again. I actually enjoyed this quite a lot and the added challenge is much appreciated. Very well done. I'm now waiting for the main gear damage to be implemented, that's really the only missing piece to force us into being honest behind the boat. 🙂

Edit: Oh yeah, I can't make a post about CASE Is without bringing up my pet peeve... that wake is a joke. It's actually disgusting how we can't have a proper visual wake. I can only imagine how useful it would be, but I'm sure it must be helpful for the initial lineup at the 90 and for rolling into the groove. ED should get on that... this is not okay.

This would be nice:

image.png

Absolutely fantastic and thank you so much!  Really impressive flying there!

I noticed that during your turn onto base and final, your are able maintain on speed/AOA with a centered E-bracket with what I can see...is no longitudinal (pitch) stick input, or extremely minimal and not noticeable on the input display.

This is how is goes for me...I am all trimmed up and stable on speed/AOA, I then turn onto base and final...I add a bit of throttle to compensate for the loss of lift and adjust the throttle as needed to maintain the appropriate rate of descent.  Throughout all this, I can no longer maintain on speed or a centered E-Bracket without significant stick input...all the way into the groove and onto the deck.  I must be doing something wrong but I just don't know what.

Without seeing a clip of how you do things, it's hard to give you advice.

1. Never trim for or during a turn

2. Use stick to maintain AOA with power changes, the Tomcat wants to settle back into the trimmed state but without FBW, it takes a bit longer. You can gently coax it into the trimmed state manually (gently!)

3. Smooth control inputs yield the best results for me. This goes for power changes as well as stick inputs. When you see me yank the throttle, I typically reverse the change almost immediately, because I just want a short impulse, but small changes are typically better.

At least for me. Feel free to clip one or two of your approaches that show what you're doing and I'm sure we can figure out how to improve it. There's no embarassment here, we're all newbies making mistakes. 🙂

Edited by Slant
  • Like 3

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

I've been successful using DLC to compensate.

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

Here's some of my recordings, not great examples of CASE I's (because i suck) but  half decent burble handling IMO, including an example of what happens when you DON'T handle it properly. Used Bankler's mission for this one.

• Thanks 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

On 6/19/2021 at 1:56 AM, Donut said:

In addition, it would be great to get a whole bunch of official Heatblur Tomcat tutorial videos, like the one's Wags provides. 

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/tutorials.html

@captain_dalan You don't need carrier DL for ICLS.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 hours ago, draconus said:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/tutorials.html

@captain_dalan You don't need carrier DL for ICLS.

Thanks draconus.  I have seen those, but there isn't one for landing.  Also, many of those videos aren't actually from HB themselves...don't think I would call them "official"

11 minutes ago, Donut said:

Thanks draconus.  I have seen those, but there isn't one for landing.  Also, many of those videos aren't actually from HB themselves...don't think I would call them "official"

There's also this list:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/224050-f-14-how-to-and-tutorial-links/

Some are included in official HB F-14 Manual online and IM higly recommends them so I don't see a problem with them not being official.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

6 hours ago, draconus said:

There's also this list:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/224050-f-14-how-to-and-tutorial-links/

Some are included in official HB F-14 Manual online and IM higly recommends them so I don't see a problem with them not being official.

Awesome! I guess some filling of educational holes is in order! Thanks mate 😄

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

With burble effect, DLC usage finally makes sense.
I am starting approach with DLC fully extended, then getting into positive burble zeroing DLC and then right after, when opposite effect starts and plane becomes pushed down, extending the DLC back to full. When timed properly, burble will not be even noticeable.

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.