Can we get a contextual petrovich menu like on the F14?

sandcat

I was flying the Mi24 for 2 days and it is a great module. However Petrovich feels a bit underwhelming in the way it is presented.

For example in Wags' video, he mentions to press "left short pretrovich" to switch to a different mode. It does not feel right that players would have to learn and memorize what each directional command does in the petrovich menu. It should have a contextual menu like the F14 has. Because if players would have to rely on memorizing the coolie hat commands, then it would feel like petrovich is just a computer onboard the ship, instead of simulating interacting with a human.

It would be great if a contextual menu with clear text for all the options would be added, like the F14 has.
DCS was the first flight sim that removed the abstraction barrier, by allowing to click buttons instead of memorizing keyboard keys. Petrovich relying on memorized keys is a step back into this old system which does not feel right.

Edited by sandcat

personally, i must say i deeply prefer it this way over Jester's wheel. im hapily surprised by how petrovich turned out, the interface is very time-efficient.

maybe im just used to modal key control from other software.

i hope you get what you ask for, customizable choices are always nice ofc - just giving my feedback to ED on this topic.

Edited by dorianR666
  • Like 2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

4 minutes ago, dorianR666 said:

personally, i must say i deeply prefer it this way over Jester's wheel. im hapily surprised by how petrovich turned out, the interface is very time-efficient.

maybe im just used to modal key control from other software.

i hope you get what you ask for, customizable choices are always nice ofc - just giving my feedback to ED on this topic.

the same, I like this concept what we have now

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

More options are always good, but I personally hate the Jester menu and far prefer the simplicity of the Petrovich commands. Obviously a Tomcat RIO has a lot more to do, so you need the complex menu. But I think it would be awful for the Hind. There's really not much to memorize

10 hours ago, gnomechild said:

More options are always good, but I personally hate the Jester menu and far prefer the simplicity of the Petrovich commands. Obviously a Tomcat RIO has a lot more to do, so you need the complex menu. But I think it would be awful for the Hind. There's really not much to memorize

At least contextual tooltips should be added (which then can be toggled off). Because it feels currently like an MFD UI screen. A player should not have to remember what "left petrovich short" does, when it is about telling a supposed human copilot what to do.

• Like 2

All it needs to do is have a little graphic telling you what your key commands will do.

The other thing it's missing is separate binds for each command (we have one obviously for up/down, left/right but it might be better to have a binding for each individual command).

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

All it needs to do is have a little graphic telling you what your key commands will do.

That would be really nice to have. Currently using petrovich feels like flying in a cockpit without any labels near buttons.

• Like 1