Hind Map realistic?

WelshZeCorgi

It's just a picture frame and you can open it and place whatever you want in there - a map, drawing, or a pin-up girl. The marker will move regardless and if the map you put in there is up to scale and you've set the starting position properly it may even tell you roughly where you are.

Edited by Blackeye

the map switching is automated in DCS, IRL you have to replace the paper map with your hands. no big deal for game purposes.

whats fictional is that if you escape the map in DCS, a new map is placed and the indicators automatically moved to the correct location on the new map. maybe it would be nice if ED added a "hardcore map mode" checkbox in special settings that would force the player to adjust the location manually when crossing the border into a new paper map section, as he would have to IRL.

if i understood the system correctly, of course.

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

If it was anything like the old Decca moving map system we had on Puma and Wessex in the 80s, the Pilot will break the thing in roughly 5 to 10 minutes after being issued it, so no need to swap any maps 😉

• Like 3

It is as explained already, a box where a strip of plastic travels across by the speed and heading information that is received from Doppler Radar (under a tail boom root), and your selected scale of 1:20000 or 1:1000000 (1 cm is 2 or 10 km). 

All you need to do is to use two dials to position strip symbol of helicopter on the map to where you think you are (by looking outside) and it does rest.

In reality you have specific size cardboards with map glued on them with those two scales.

The board size doesn't matter, scale does.

So you can have anything you want. You can draw on the map with pencil for enemy positions or routes etc. 

And you usually have maybe two boards. Flip around for other side. Where you example have 10 km scale one for general navigation from base to combat areas. And then 2 km version to operate in combat areas. 

IIRC the plastic strip is 1 cm wide. So you have one square centimeter red square in it. That means the symbol shows 1 km to any direction from crosshair to edge of red square in 2 km scale, or 5 km in 10km scale.

Think it this way. You land next to ground troops commander, they approach you next to cockpit and you hand them the board and pencil. They scribble troops positions on it and movement directions. Now you have updated troops general positions and intentions.

You can talk over radio to someone and do the same. Take notes on such that where they are, what is their route. And then insert board to box when entering combat area.

Edit: I would like to see a manual map swapping. So open box and select board.

I would like to have possibility capture wanted areas on map and place then there manually.  Meaning I could take a screenshot of F10 map as such with proper zoom scale and resolution, make wanted markings and save as kneeboard files.

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

28 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

You land next to ground troops commander, they approach you next to cockpit and you hand them the board and pencil. They scribble troops positions on it and movement directions. Now you have updated troops general positions and intentions.

mmm.... indeed it would be cool if somehow we could display custom mission-specific maps, the same way we can have custom mission-specific kneeboard images.

ED gib pls.

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580