MI8 and Hind delay problem

Dave317

I'm having a problem with the MI8 and Hind that doesn't seem to affect any other modules I own.

When I instruct my wingman to do a command I get the comformation beeps and the voice attack screen shows it's recognised my command but nothing happens in game.  Some times there is a huge delay of many minutes before my wingman responds but other times nothing happens at all.

I've tried without viacom so I know the radios are set up correctly. 

Are you trying with 'old' missions? I have had this issue in the past and opening the mission in the ME and then flying it from there solves the problem.

The Hind is a new module and not officially supported yet so I wouldn't be surprised if there are currently issues

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I think I'm also encountering this issue.  Its a bit inconsistent but I've noticed long delays on things like requesting rearming via VAICOM in the Mi-24.  Spamming the communications keyboard command seems to help get the rearm dialog window up quicker, but definitely annoying.

Edited by Carbon-14

To the best of my knowledge, the Mi-24 is not officially supported yet in Vaicom. I have found that the module name is picked up if I make a ground start, but not if I make an air start

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

It's the same for the mi8 as well though and that's been around for years. 

It's like the radio isn't tuned to the correct frequency but if I close voice attack /vaicom it works perfectly by selecting using the F keys. 

Easy comms works fine

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue for the Mi-24.  On the ground comms work fine.  But once you get into the air.  Even saying "options" wouldn't bring up the comms menu.  I would hear the beep though when I say commands in the air, but nothing happens.  And even pressing the comms menu button wouldn't bring it up.

Intel Core i7 7700, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel 660P PCIe NVMe, Zotac 2070 Super Amp, Oculus Rift S

A-10C, FA-18C, F-14B, FC3, F-5E, F-86, AV8B, M-2000, Combined Arms, AJS37, F-16C, C-101, MiG-15Bis, MiG-19P, MiG-21Bis, L-39, P-51D, Spitfire LFMkIX, Bf-109, Fw-190 Dora, Fw-190 Anton, P-47D, I-16, SA342, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Ka-50

I don't use Viacom Pro, but I do use voice attack. In order to access the comms menu in the air, it is necessary to bind the pilot's radio trigger. The "communications menu" bind doesn't work in the air for some aircraft, so the push-to-talk radio key must be used instead.

Thanks for your reply…

In VA you assign push to talk buttons for each radio. Vaicom then automatically assigns them to the relevant radios in your aircraft.

The default communication menu is not working indeed.

I just noticed though that the R-863 is not represented in the VAICOM configuration screen.

That JADRO, R-828 and R-852 are available but the R-863 is missing. z

Am I seeing this correctly?

Maybe that’s due to the fact that the Hind is not yet supported officially and hopefully we can expect an update soon.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply…
In VA you assign push to talk buttons for each radio. Vaicom then automatically assigns them to the relevant radios in your aircraft.

I just noticed though that the R-863 is not represented in the VAICOM configuration screen.

Maybe that’s due to the fact that the Hind is not yet supported officially and hopefully we can expect an update soon.
Hopefully! After the slingload fix, I'm back in the Oilfield campaign for the Hip, and I have no special issues other than issues I already have with other modules.
But yeah, I don't think the Hind is totally supported yet.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I don't use Viacom Pro, but I do use voice attack. In order to access the comms menu in the air, it is necessary to bind the pilot's radio trigger. The "communications menu" bind doesn't work in the air for some aircraft, so the push-to-talk radio key must be used instead.

Like PHMAC said. VAICOM doesn't use keypresses etc. like VA does. VAICOM only used VA as a gateway to Microsoft Speech Recognition.
Cheers!

On 7/15/2021 at 5:39 PM, PHMAC said:

Thanks for your reply…

How about trying this.

In VA assign \ as your communciations menu key.
In DCS, assign \ as Pilot's Radio trigger - Radio
you can also have Alt+\ as the pilot's radio trigger too

1 minute ago, MAXsenna said:

Why?

Well I thought the purpose was to get the menu to open when VIACOM wants access to the communications menu.

So when VIACOM is sending the to open the communication menu, DCS would interpret that as "press the pilot's radio button" which WILL open the menu in flight.

Well I thought the purpose was to get the menu to open when VIACOM wants access to the communications menu.

So when VIACOM is sending the to open the communication menu, DCS would interpret that as "press the pilot's radio button" which WILL open the menu in flight.
Yeah, I get that. But VAICOM doesn't work that way at all.
I hope I don't come off as rude, because I know your intention is to help. But one could argue that you're asking him to fill diesel on his petrol car.
That's how different VAICOM and VA works. VA doesn't interact with DCS at all. It blindly sends key/joy/mouse-presses to defined application. VAICOM communicates with DCS in the background. Similarl to DCS-BIOS I would think.
Anyway, since you have VA, try out the VAICOM free version, you'll not regret it. The manual is also very well written!
Cheers!

5 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Yeah, I get that. But VAICOM doesn't work that way at all. emoji4.png
I hope I don't come off as rude, because I know your intention is to help. emoji1303.png emoji4.png But one could argue that you're asking him to fill diesel on his petrol car.
That's how different VAICOM and VA works. VA doesn't interact with DCS at all. It blindly sends key/joy/mouse-presses to defined application. VAICOM communicates with DCS in the background. Similarl to DCS-BIOS I would think.
Anyway, since you have VA, try out the VAICOM free version, you'll not regret it. The manual is also very well written! emoji6.png
Cheers!

Yeah ok, I see what you're saying, no offense taken. My original input into this topic was because Eagle_01 wrote:

On 7/9/2021 at 4:29 PM, Eagle_01 said:

I have the same issue for the Mi-24.  On the ground comms work fine.  But once you get into the air.  Even saying "options" wouldn't bring up the comms menu.  I would hear the beep though when I say commands in the air, but nothing happens.  And even pressing the comms menu button wouldn't bring it up.

and I was simply trying to point out that ED at some point, F-18 release IIRC, started preventing the \ key from opening the communications menu whilst in the air. This is true now for multiple aircraft. 

It was "explained" as pressing \ was the same as you talking, while on the ground, the crew could hear you talking and respond as required. But in the air, you would be simply talking to yourself, hence the need for pressing a push-to-talk key, so you would in effect, be talking down the radio.

Now as that menu is used for other things, selecting slingable cargo for one, it doesn't make sense to me to have the \ menu completely disabled whilst in flight. 

I would like it if it still worked in all aircraft, and any radio message would simply not get through unless the correct PTT was used. 

and I was simply trying to point out that ED at some point, F-18 release IIRC, started preventing the \ key from opening the communications menu whilst in the air. This is true now for multiple aircraft. 

It was "explained" as pressing \ was the same as you talking, while on the ground, the crew could hear you talking and respond as required. But in the air, you would be simply talking to yourself, hence the need for pressing a push-to-talk key, so you would in effect, be talking down the radio.

Now as that menu is used for other things, selecting slingable cargo for one, it doesn't make sense to me to have the \ menu completely disabled whilst in flight. 
I would like it if it still worked in all aircraft, and any radio message would simply not get through unless the correct PTT was used. 
Aaahhh! That makes total sense. And yes, that's sort of what I'm seeing in VAICOM sometimes for certain modules as well.
Could be very well related.
Thanks!

I've added an item in the wish list to revert this behaviour back to the old way, ie, the menu would open at anytime when pressing \

If you think that is maybe something you would like, it would be great if you could add a comment or +1 to the thread, thanks

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 12:43 AM, jonsky7 said:

How about trying this.

In VA assign \ as your communciations menu key.
In DCS, assign \ as Pilot's Radio trigger - Radio
you can also have Alt+\ as the pilot's radio trigger too

Thank you for this idea.  At least now the comms menu comes up while in flight.  And I can use Vaicom's "Take" commands to select which option I want to use.  Its not perfect, but at least now I can communicate with my AI flight.

Intel Core i7 7700, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel 660P PCIe NVMe, Zotac 2070 Super Amp, Oculus Rift S

A-10C, FA-18C, F-14B, FC3, F-5E, F-86, AV8B, M-2000, Combined Arms, AJS37, F-16C, C-101, MiG-15Bis, MiG-19P, MiG-21Bis, L-39, P-51D, Spitfire LFMkIX, Bf-109, Fw-190 Dora, Fw-190 Anton, P-47D, I-16, SA342, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Ka-50

• 2 months later...

I'm still getting this behaviour in the Mi-24.

I can issue a Vaicom radio message and immediately there is a beep to indicate a complete message was understood. However no radio transmission is sent in-game. 

After a while if I trigger the Hind's in-game push-to-talk button (not my Vaicom tx# button) the original radio message is sent; ie, I hear my pilot's voice saying the radio message and then I get an immediate reply ... sometimes.

Other times the Vaicom radio message, while succesful in Vaicom/VA, seems completely lost to the ether in DCS; ie. my pilot never issues the message and no reply is heard.

I believe I'm using the latest version of all Vaicom files/plugins.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

I'm still getting this behaviour in the Mi-24.

I can issue a Vaicom radio message and immediately there is a beep to indicate a complete message was understood. However no radio transmission is sent in-game. 

After a while if I trigger the Hind's in-game push-to-talk button (not my Vaicom tx# button) the original radio message is sent; ie, I hear my pilot's voice saying the radio message and then I get an immediate reply ... sometimes.

Other times the Vaicom radio message, while succesful in Vaicom/VA, seems completely lost to the ether in DCS; ie. my pilot never issues the message and no reply is heard.

I believe I'm using the latest version of all Vaicom files/plugins.
In case you missed it. The Hind nor the Mossie is currently supported, and@Hollywood_315 has stated they will be supported in the next VAICOM update.
Cheers!