Rudder pedal recommendations?

I'm in the process of upgrading my various controllers and am looking for a top notch set of pedals. Currently I'm using a Saitek X-55 HOTAS and CH Pro Pedals. I've already decided to replace the X-55 with the WinWing F-18 HOTAS setup (not the Orion) and while that is a straight forwards choice, I have absolutely no idea what's available off the shelf in the US that's worth getting when it comes to pedals. Obviously Logitech and TM are around, but I'm hoping there is something better. It does need to be off the shelf and not some garage side job thing that are made to order and take months to deliver. Last time I looked into it I think MFG Crosswinds were the recommended ones, but that was a garage operation at the time. Has that changed? Are they still the best out there?

I'm looking for generic pedals with toe brakes that are comfortable to use with a normal office chair and desk. I fly everything from biplanes in Flying Circus to choppers to the modern jets in DCS.

Edit: Looks like MFG is a proper manufacturer now and it also looks like TM no longer just offers some junk plastic pedals. The TPR's look interesting, anyone have some competing options I should look at or thoughts on the TPR's?

Edited by BeastyBaiter

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

Ive had both TPRs and MFGs. I still have the MFGs. I sold the TPRs. Both are very good pedals. But the MFGs are better bang for the buck. The TPRs are expensive. I fly Helos a lot and the nice thing about the MFGs is you can disconnect the spring very quickly which is what I do for helo flying. Cant do that with the TPRs. Its hard to say whats better. But for what you get the MFGs are a better buy for sure

I also use the MFGs with a damper fitted and combat pedals from@hegykc. I also helped him test some chopper foot pegs which I still have. I don't know whether he has gone into production with these.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

MFG Crosswinds
Slaw RX
I think Virpil build pedals with toe brakes but can´t remember the model

TPR are overpriced.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I also have the Crosswinds with the Damper Kit ( Milan sells it also).

Easy to install and transforms already great pedals into something truly special.

I have had the Crosswinds since Dec 2015 and they are as good as new. Installed the Damper Kit recently.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

18 hours ago, Tehrawk said:

DIY doesn´t seem to match OP requests

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I wasn't going to say it but yes, anything DIY or custom order is not something I'm interested in. Spare time is a little too scarce for me these days for that kind of thing. Right now I'm leaning towards the TPR's. Primary reason is I play on a hard laminate floor and so sliding is a concern.Spending a lot of time with choppers also makes their design fairly appealing. Might completely yank the springs out and use gravity centering. To deal with sliding, my current pedals are braced with some spare case fans wedged between them and the wall but I'd like to get away from that kind of solution. From the few reviews I've been able to find, the super chunky TPR's slide less but it's hard to say since the only actual reviews I've found were sponsored by Thrustmaster, and so must be taken with more than a few grains of salt. I'm not terribly concerned about price differences as I expect to be using whatever I get for 5+ years much like my current pedals and HOTAS and ideally go much longer. My current setup still works, just looking for something nicer and more precise (especially the pedals, CH Pedals are inaccurate and gritty even when new).

Going for a gaming chair setup with mount points is also a no go do to it also having to be a home office for work. Side mounted stick/throttle and pedals under the desk are fine, but losing the general workspace is not.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

Some user sells his VKB for 150€ in Europe, here on this forum. They are really well thought to be used on desks, pressing them rather than pushing, and matching that chopper anti-torque design you mention.
I use them on my old varnished wood floor, I´m sorry I can´t find the proper English word to describe it(linoleum??) and no sliding because like I said, you press them rather than pushing.

On 6/19/2021 at 9:18 AM, BeastyBaiter said:

the super chunky TPR's slide less but it's hard to say since the only actual reviews I've found were sponsored by Thrustmaster, and so must be taken with more than a few grains of salt.

Sliding shouldn't be an issue with the TPR's - the pivot design combined with the overall weight keeps them pretty solid. I previously had Saiteks which needed something to bond them to the floor; with the TPRs I just have them sitting there (note: I also have hard laminate floors). Also, I am very pleased with the overall feel and smoothness of the TPR. I think you will be happy if you go that route

edit: regarding having them under desk for a home office, be aware they are quite tall in comparison to other pedals and take up a lot of room under your desk

Edited by prccowboy

I have a pair of V3 crosswinds, and I absolutely love them. They come with spacers to keep them off the wall for unmounted setups and i commonly just rest my feet right on them (or i did, when they were under my desk). I an say the packing is top notch and they dispatch and get to you in almost no time; the biggest downfall is it is a limited release item, so if you dont snatch one when they are in stock you just have to wait for more to show up (it took me 3 days of waiting to catch a restock).

As far as TRP pedals, they look really nice (and the reviews ive seen on them give them higher marks for internals and wiring than their warthog stick) they are simply way to expensive to make me consider them, atleast as a real option. I did look at them before buying Crosswinds, but the price is a little excessive IMO, especially when the tried and true Crosswinds are not only cheaper, but have such great reviews and have been around longer.

of course, you can always try to find someone selling them and get them for cheaper than new as well.

IL-2: sturmovik | Microsoft Flight Sim | DCS

P40 Kittyhawk - More US Please | Bush Planes - Single Prop | AV-8B - M2000C - F-5E

VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base | VPC Control Panel - #2 | VPC Constellation ALPHA-R

MFG Crosswinds | Rseat S1 | NRG FRP-600WT

Thanks for suggestions, good to hear the TPR's don't slide around. I didn't think they would given the design but you never know. I have noticed the little wall braces sticking out on the Crosswinds, it's a good solution too but sadly my desk has some cross bracing a good bit from the wall and so I'd still need to throw some spacers behind them. Under desk space isn't a huge concern, it's a tall desk and empty underneath with the exception of the PC tower to one side and that cross bracing at the back. The price difference between the two is substantial but I'm willing to spend the extra money to get the right set of pedals. Both are in stock and can be purchased immediately.

1 hour ago, BeastyBaiter said:

Under desk space isn't a huge concern, it's a tall desk and empty underneath with the exception of 

it's more a matter of leg room for dual purpose office use. with the slider style pedals I would use the pedals as a foot rest when doing office work - with the TPR's that's not a possibility, but I adjusted and have no issue with them under the desk when I am doing other work. just wanted you to be aware that they take a lot of vertical space.

I have the winwing libra/taurus setup with TM TPR's for the pedals. I've centre mounted the stick and the TPR's are nice and wide and allow me to be comfortable.

I came from some CH pedals and contemplated slaw/TPR/crosswind/virpil pedals. I ended up going with the TPR for the following reasons.

1. Availability

2. The pendulum motion seemed to mimic planes well and it really does

3. They looked quite well made and suited what I needed

4. Price, yes the others were more expensive when I counted shipping etc, I got the TPR's in a thrustmaster sale for $300 AUD off.

5. Local support (really minor reason)

I'm definitely not disappointed in the purchase, I've only had them about 2 months now but they have been amazing to fly with, I'd definitely recommend them based on my experience so far. Having said that I doubt you can go wrong with the other pedals too.

In terms of leg room under the desk, no problems here, sometimes I even end up resting my foot on top of the centre part of them...

Edited by Simm0

• 4 weeks later...

I also have the Crosswinds Rudder Pedals from MFG-SIM.  I think they are great.  My old CH PRO Pedals failed after many years.

I do have question for the group.  In DCS I have set the Toe Brakes up as Invert, but I am not sure if they should be checked as a Slider or not.  How does the groups set them up and what are the pros and cons of the Slider check box?   

Many Thanks in Advance.  As you can imagine I am new to the game and my taxiing abilities leave a lot to be desired in the P-47 and especially the Spitfire.

I also have the Crosswinds Rudder Pedals from MFG-SIM.  I think they are great.  My old CH PRO Pedals failed after many years.

I do have question for the group.  In DCS I have set the Toe Brakes up as Invert, but I am not sure if they should be checked as a Slider or not.  How does the groups set them up and what are the pros and cons of the Slider check box?   

Many Thanks in Advance.  As you can imagine I am new to the game and my taxiing abilities leave a lot to be desired in the P-47 and especially the Spitfire.
Yes to slider - it means that they are totally off when the pedals are not pressed and fully on when you have pushed them down

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

• 1 month later...

I have V2 of the MMFG Crosswinds and just installed the Damper kit.  Very happy with my setup.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.