Mi-24P Landing Notes

Wags

• ED Team

Dear all,

Sadly, I ran out of time to create a landing video prior to the launch. I hope to find time in my schedule to still create it, but in the meantime, attached are my landing notes based on the actual Mi-24 flight manual.

I sincerely hope that you are all enjoying the Hind as much as I did learning it and creating the videos.

Kind regards,

Matt

Hind Landing.docx

• Like 22
  • Thanks 22

• Wags pinned this topic

Anyone know the gear extended max airspeed limitation?

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's awesome, after testing it for 2 days (14d trail) I liked it & bought it today. Petro is very nice, attacking with the Hind is a blast, FM has character! Can't wait for further development features.

Congratulations ED to a very good release🙂!

• Like 5

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

5 hours ago, VampireNZ said:

Anyone know the gear extended max airspeed limitation?

I guess there isn't since a helo usually doesn't get too fast for an extended gear.

BTW so far I just landed the thing like I often did with the Ka-50 and also Mi-8 as well - like a plane. No problem with touchdowns at 150-200 on the speed gauge so far, it just has to be nice and smooth. The trick is to kill the lateral movement prior to touching down, which is a lot easier in the Shark, of course.

• Like 2

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Beautiful . 🙂

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Still don't get the hang of landing this thing...

Going down slowly, pay attention to not descent to fast, but at some point during hover the chopper just starts to spin like crazy and falls out of the sky ...

• Like 5

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

@Viking 1-1 Avoid long hover-like slow descending approaches. This beast isn't designed to stay at a fixed point in air for long. Try to loose speed with long flat nose-up approaches or fly curves (slight down spiral) around the landing zone to get safely near the ground. Also be aware of your weight, always start with as much fuel as is truly needed.

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I've managed to land it once. Without touching the rudder pedals. (nearly vertical descent into ground effect) Which was weird. (YAW AP Channel on) If I start to fiddle with the pedals and the AP channel\damping is on, i botch it completely. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

The hind will take a bit of experience to land quickly. Here’s the rundown of what I was doing:

Like most helos you need to descend at an angle as a best practice, not straight down. Figure out straight down landings later. 

Eyeball your landing area. Runway, pad, etc.

Come in low around 200 meters on approach.

Reset trim. Turn off yaw ap if you had used it.

Do a break turn like a jet and pitch up to bleed airspeed. Manage collective to maintain and lower altitude.

You should get down to around 50kph or so as you’re turning back in to final. Lower gear.

Rolling landing or squat landing? If rolling, land like a jet. Gradually increase right pedal as you get slower and lower. You shouldn’t need heavy pedal since you’re landing in ETL. Be prepared to use right pedal before coming to a complete stop. When wheels touch slowly lower collective down and apply brakes. Keep stick back and to right. Come to full stop before trying to taxi. Release brake gently, monitor torque. Push stick forward and taxi.

If landing in place, pick your spot at a 30ish degrees down. If your spot is far out and shallow you’ll need to fly forward a bit and maintain speed and altitude. If your spot is too steep below you (like already almost beneath you) then fly around again and create more separation.

If your angle is good, pitch up and slowly lower collective about -4 or 5 to start, but as you near ground effect you want to be -2 or 3.

PEDAL. Angle your nose left or right so you can see your target spot. Your forward speed should arrest down slowly with altitude and you’ll near 10-15kph as you near ground effect.

As you transition to GE you’ll at some point need almost full right pedal to combat the torque. Manage your collective up and down a squirt to keep descent slow.

Ive had the hind seemingly “bounce” in and out of GE when trying to land so those last 10 or 20 meters are a bit shaky.

Set her down pitch up slightly, back wheels first, slowly lower collective, mindful of how much right pedal you need. When nose comes down apply brake and hold stick back. 

• Like 3

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Thanks for the notes. It seems a lot easier to land than the Mi-8 which is a pleasant surprise. The main difference seems to be the Mi-8’s love of entering a vortex ring state while landing whereas the Hind seems a lot more reluctant to do the same.

However I have got use the the Hips great visibility during more vertical/hover landings. The Hinds more enclosed cockpit does add that extra challenge when landing in more enclosed spaces.

Loving it so far and I haven’t fired a weapon yet!

Ryzen 5900X, RTX 3080, 32GB Ram, Oculus Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and Stick.

10 hours ago, Eldur said:

I guess there isn't since a helo usually doesn't get too fast for an extended gear.

BTW so far I just landed the thing like I often did with the Ka-50 and also Mi-8 as well - like a plane. No problem with touchdowns at 150-200 on the speed gauge so far, it just has to be nice and smooth. The trick is to kill the lateral movement prior to touching down, which is a lot easier in the Shark, of course.

So no helipads for you?  I can't get her to land without doing a rolling descent like you describe either.  I touch down way slower though and it still goes really badly sometimes

Thanks @Wagsfor the landing tips (and for all the hard work on the Hind in general of course).

VRS already caught me twice in the Hind 🤦‍♂️, so I need to keep a better eye on my descent rate

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

16 hours ago, Eldur said:

Just FYI - landing gear extended speed limitations are usually due to the ancillary items like doors etc, not the gear itself, as the structure holding the gear doors and the movement mechanisms/rod arms etc. can easily be bent/damaged by too high an airflow. If the gear doors/attachment arms on the Hind were fairly light then they wouldn't handle 300+ KM/H airflow very easily, especially when moving - hence requiring a limitation.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Hind for me will get into VRS real quick and unlike the MI-8 I do not notice any warning vib's or clues it is happening. It is heavy and while I was looking out the window, next thing I know I am sinking like a rock. I wish there was an option to put the VSI in my view while looking out the window as I approach the landing spot. Rolling landings are easy but pull this bird back into a hover at 60 feet or so and try to descend straight down and I have my hands full until I get into ground effect. It is a fantastic module though!

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Great I was waiting for this. Have been stuck in the air for 2 days without a bathroom break.

Jokes aside, keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to the detailed system descriptions to figure out the autopilot. Most systems seem to be very similar to the Mi-8, but still somewhat different.

15 hours ago, tusler said:

The Hind for me will get into VRS real quick and unlike the MI-8 I do not notice any warning vib's or clues it is happening. It is heavy and while I was looking out the window, next thing I know I am sinking like a rock. I wish there was an option to put the VSI in my view while looking out the window as I approach the landing spot. Rolling landings are easy but pull this bird back into a hover at 60 feet or so and try to descend straight down and I have my hands full until I get into ground effect. It is a fantastic module though!

Don't descend straight down, instead descend down and forward. 

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I tried the Hind for the first time today and it seems to be a VRS-beast. It likes only shallow descends and tight break turns or maneuver to bleed speed fast can be really dangerous. The timing for the collective to maintain a descend rate during tight maneuver without getting into VRS seemed really difficult.
To me it seemed that you realize the transition from hover to translational lift to effective translational lift better in the Huey or Hip without constantly looking at the airspeed. Maybe I realize this effects better with more time in the Hind.

wishlist: HH-60G Pave Hawk, MH-60R Sea Hawk, UH-60L Black Hawk, NH90, Super (Sea) Lynx / Mk.88, ME: A placeable animated LSE/marshaller for individual created FARPs

looking forward to: A-6E Intruder, A-7E Corsair II, BO-105 PAH1A1, C-130J, CH-47F Chinook, Eurofighter Typhoon, F-4E Phantom II, F4U-1D Corsair, OH-58D Kiowa, Tornado

Apache beware of the Sikorsky Armed Black Hawk!