More realistic map implementation

lmp

Currently when switching scales the whole changing out the card and realigning the cursor is done automatically. This makes the DISS map feel like a modern GPS rather than what it is. I don't think this is DCS level fidelity, we need something better :).

Edited by lmp
  • Like 3

On 6/17/2021 at 8:02 PM, lmp said:

Currently when switching scales the whole changing out the card and realigning the cursor is done automatically. This makes the DISS map feel like a modern GPS rather than what it is. I don't think this is DCS level fidelity, we need something better :).

+1 it should at least be made an option.

It also magically switches maps when reaching the borders, and automatically moves the cursor to the correct place.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

2 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

+1 it should at least be made an option.

It also magically switches maps when reaching the borders, and automatically moves the cursor to the correct place.

i've had to correct my position using the etc-o-sketch controls a couple times.

what i wish it had... a way to mark locations in mission editor and for them to shown on map.

Edited by Porkie

10 hours ago, Porkie said:

i've had to correct my position using the etc-o-sketch controls a couple times.

Oh yeah, it still drifts, but when switching maps (for instance, when you cross a border or if you switch scale) the cursor automatically moves to put it over where the navigation system thinks you are.

IRL you'd have to manually reposition the cursor every time you switch maps - right now you only have to correct for drift errors.

what i wish it had... a way to mark locations in mission editor and for them to shown on map.

+1 Right now it only does waypoints. Though I still think that having the ability to place in user created images (which could even be a section of the map currently in use, that the user has drawn over) is the ideal solution.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

+1 for an option for this, but I'm actually fine with it how it is... There's simulation, then there's just busy work, and I'd class this as the latter. What I would like to see as others have stated is the option of inserting your own images as per the kneeboard here so they're not so cluttered with short distances between waypoints, or flight legs that write the time and distance notes over one another.

Most definitely need key bindings for the etch'a'sketch as well as it's painful to adjust this in VR

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
  • Like 1

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 6/19/2021 at 3:46 AM, Northstar98 said:

Though I still think that having the ability to place in user created images (which could even be a section of the map currently in use, that the user has drawn over) is the ideal solution.

Yah, that'd be awesome. There's already some functionality in this regard in that you can insert user images into .miz files that get used for the kneeboard. Something similar to this, create a folder directory in the .miz file and drop the image in, would be awesome. The challenge would be that there would need to be some way of attaching positioning info to it. It couldn't be just a PNG that the mission creator drops into a folder, it needs to be in the correct scale and the game would need to know how it relates to the world, or at least where the starting position is. 

5 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:

Yah, that'd be awesome. There's already some functionality in this regard in that you can insert user images into .miz files that get used for the kneeboard. Something similar to this, create a folder directory in the .miz file and drop the image in, would be awesome.

Even better would be something in the mission editor - like the briefing images (and you could do the same for kneeboards, at least on an aircraft group basis). Ideally it would have some validation checks to make sure the map is the correct size.

If it can be made such that the map only needs to be the correct aspect ratio and DCS scales it correctly, that would be fantastic.

The challenge would be that there would need to be some way of attaching positioning info to it. It couldn't be just a PNG that the mission creator drops into a folder, it needs to be in the correct scale and the game would need to know how it relates to the world, or at least where the starting position is. 

I'm not sure it would even need to know if it's the correct scale or where the starting position is - the real system doesn't know either - it's solely up to the pilot to input the correct starting position and to make sure the map is the correct scale.

All the aircraft needs to do is move the cursor based on measurements from the doppler system, and all the scale option really does is just controlling what speed the cursor moves at, for a given groundspeed.

I mean, you don't even have to put a map in there.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

System: