Very low grip on the rear wheels

malcheus

I noticed just now that there seems to be very little grip (or little weight) on the rear wheels.

Even with collective fully down, you can skid/drift the rear wheels, moving to the side rather than straight ahead and turning with the front wheel.

It seems unrealistic, as there should be a lot of weight on those wheels.

It's obvious in the startup training mission when you taxi to the runway and are not careful with the controls.

• Like 1

Tilt the rotors in the direction of the turn, so in a rudder turn left, move the cyclic left.

It helps keep the weight of the chopper evenly dispersed across all 3 (4) wheels.... critical in the Apache. 

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

19 minutes ago, aledmb said:

if this is correct, it should be damaging the landing gear (or at least the tires), right?

Hypothetically, yes, it would be damaging the tires through sliding (not sure how much the aircraft weighs at this point) but nowhere close to the point of failure. The sliding action is something I wouldn't imagine a crew chief wouldn't be very appreciative of the pilot overtime (sortie after sortie throughout the lifecycle on an aircraft) but not something that would destroy the tires unless you did it for hours upon hours. So in regards to the DCS simulation... procedurally you should not do the above if you are attempting to imitate reality.... but doing so won't cause any noticeable damage to the tires because of the time period it would take to noticeably damage a tire through this action and the fact you have a "new" aircraft every time you fly. 

However, I could very well be wrong... See below notes. 

Note, not a helicopter pilot. However, I am a student pilot so I am somewhat familiar with aviation wheels on general aviation aircraft (which may be apples to oranges for all I know in this example). But, my input comes from vehicle racing and flat spotting/destroying tires under braking without ABS. Which has to be done at a high speed and generally (at least by experienced drivers) only results in an very uncomfortable vibration that can result in other items failing, driver discomfort, and in serve cases which are quite unusual, tire failure. 

Edited by ShadowFrost

This should be tuned I a bit.

If you take a real life example ( SA365 Dauphin for instance ), you would never want to drift the tires sideways or you risk dynamic rollover.

Even with little weight on it, rubber against concrete is not a very sliding combo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

16 hours ago, Hueyman said:

This should be tuned I a bit.

If you take a real life example ( SA365 Dauphin for instance ), you would never want to drift the tires sideways or you risk dynamic rollover.

Even with little weight on it, rubber against concrete is not a very sliding combo

Exactly, I would expect the whole thing to roll over, or at least tilt off the right wheel a lot sooner. It's quite a tall and narrow machine. 

Tilt the rotors in the direction of the turn, so in a rudder turn left, move the cyclic left.

It helps keep the weight of the chopper evenly dispersed across all 3 (4) wheels.... critical in the Apache. 

Thanks for the advice, although drifting it around the airfield also has a certain appeal. 

Edited by malcheus