Helpful Tip Concerning Doppler Navigation

HalasKor

Hello, I am not new to DCS but I made a mistake repeatedly without realizing it. It took me many startups and references to the training, videos, and manual, to realize my mistake. Unsurprisingly my error was the flipping of an unnecessary switch. Armed with this knowledge I now have the power to screw up my navigation system if I want to. But to save others from this trouble I wish to share my knowledge.

I don't have a perfect understanding but turning on the "AIRSPD SNSR TO DOPPLER" will effectively "invert" your navigation. If I had memorized the startup training I would not have made this mistake. Here is a picture of the left wall of the pilot seat:

InkedScreen_210617_094750_LI.jpg 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Aircraft:

A-10C|A-10C II|AV-8B N/A|AJS-37|F-14|F-15E|F-16C|F/A-18C|FC3|P-51D

KA-50|Mi-24P|SA-342|UH-1H|AH-64D

Terrains:

Syria|Persian Gulf|Normandy|NTTR|Sinai

Yeah, it'll also render your DISS and drift to go funky as well, TAS calculations seem to be fine

Is it possible you have to select your heading as a course for it to interpret the results properly?

I'm just trying to drag anything from the Tu-154 that I can lol

• Thanks 1

Thx for the tip, I noticed the same issue....

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

So many maps are just black for zoom ins 😞

which is a shame the map zoomed in is much more useful for the map display to me.

Just off top of my head the last caucauses quick start can't zoom in; tonopah rest range airfield in Nevada can't, qeshm isle and bandar Abbas can't - does anyone know what determines if a zoom in is available?

4 hours ago, sublime said:

So many maps are just black for zoom ins 😞

which is a shame the map zoomed in is much more useful for the map display to me.

Just off top of my head the last caucauses quick start can't zoom in; tonopah rest range airfield in Nevada can't, qeshm isle and bandar Abbas can't - does anyone know what determines if a zoom in is available?

Caucauses has always had zoom for me. PG and Cyprus have never had zoom in for me. This was observed in at least 5 missions on each map.

Did it reported as a bug already?

On many videos on YT of startup people turn it on (So up) but they didnt notice that its a bug ;D.

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

Caucauses has always had zoom for me. PG and Cyprus have never had zoom in for me. This was observed in at least 5 missions on each map.

Try the last caucauses quick start kogori storm (however you spell). You won't have a zoomed in map either

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 10:16 PM, sublime said:

Try the last caucauses quick start kogori storm (however you spell). You won't have a zoomed in map either

I do.

PU5n4Yb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to chime in on the zoomed map, half the time I just get a black map...and doesnt really matter what map Im on.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

Caucasus is unreliable to me... about 1/4 the time I don't have high-detail maps. I haven't scientifically tested to see if it's always the same maps.

All the others I've tried are far spottier. Some of Nevada works. I think some of Syria, too, but can't recall now.

What do I do when I get to the edge of the map? Is there any way to "change" maps? 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

33 minutes ago, Lurker said:

What do I do when I get to the edge of the map? Is there any way to "change" maps? 

Keep flying and the paper map will change automatically. There is no "manual" way to change it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Keep flying and the paper map will change automatically. There is no "manual" way to change it.

That's interesting. Because that's not what happens. At least not in my case. Talking about the zoomed "out" larger scale map. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.