Uncommanded roll/Prop Stall & Recovery method

Soulres
Go to solution Solved by Soulres,

• Solution

Had this happen randomly several times, died afew times because of it as I was able to either recover or fight the roll. Not sure if there is a reason for it.

DO A BARREL ROLL.trk

- Answer Overspeed-  Causes one side of the blades to create more lift than the other.

-Ghetto-Recovery-  Remain calm, Use rudder to try and keep LEVEL ,Be gentle with controls. If the engines stall, keep a slight nose down to spin the blades up to help the engine, It should recover. 

Edited by Soulres
gave a recovery method.

• ED Team

Correct as is

caused by overspeed, sometimes called retreating blade stall, wing drop or roll off

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Happened to me as well 😄

Stick went uncontrollable to the left side, heli went uncontrollable to the right side 😄 leaving you thinking "is this normal or is it a bug"

Good to know that is a normal behavior.

Edited by MrG721

DCS Steam Edition Hangar:

DCS.png

on the acrobatics server over speeding hind seem to catch fire and disintegrate before they can retreating blade stall into the ground.

its actually quite pretty to watch.

its like free helicopter night at the disco.

carnage.

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

• Soulres changed the title to Uncommanded roll/Prop Stall & Recovery method

the fix for retreating blade stall is too pull back on the stick and reduce Collective.

to quickly lose speed and end the stall

pulling back also puts the pitch command on the left side which is not stalled. so you will still get full authority. pitch commands happen 90 degrees from the side you want to raise. want to raise the front up you need to push up on the left. just like trying to change the plane of an orbit in kerbal space program. you need to thrust up when you are 90 degrees from the point you are heading too, that you want to move up, not thrust up when you reach that point. 

pitching up is the only command that will have full authority in a retreating blade stall

every other direction will be partially or totally lost in the side that's stalled. and have little to no effect.

turn the right roll into a right turn (by pulling back on the stick), dump some collective and regain control 

Edited by Quadg

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.