Photo-recon mods

rkk01

With the Spitfire Mk IX in the hangar, and the Mossie due… what would be the appetite for some PRU aircraft?

Both would require a bit of work - either by ED or as a mod…

The Spitfire PR Mk IX possibly the easiest, but only a limited number of Mk IX conversions IRL.  

Mosquito PR Mk IX would require more work from the base FB Mk VI, but with the glass nose and streamlined cockpit screen would also make an easy B Mk IX…

Idea came from thinking through a low level scout around France before the Mossie dropped - particularly to see what is around Amiens 

• Like 6

A dedicated PR model would be awesome.
This is a funny part of our mission on our actual campaign with Spitfire without any ammo that have to go in France to take "screenshot" to find target for next mission 🙂

+1 for the request !

unknown.png

• Like 5

Yes!  Anything to support reconnaissance would be great. To extend the idea further, I would advocate adding a reconnaissance camera mechanism. When I was asked on features to implement in DCS, this was my recommendation. Furthermore, it could use the "guncam" mechanism (which already exists in the F-86F and MiG-15bis).

What is the single simplest/ lowest effort thing that ED can change about DCS WW2 to have the most positive impact right now?

Implement a reconnaissance-photography mechanism!!

Some aircraft in DCS have a “guncam”. Now imagine that same mechanism, but on a camera pointing straight downward out of the aircraft. And if activating the camera was an event, you could also log the postion/attitude of the aircraft at the time, and then tie that back into the mission. Having reconnaissance, both high and low altitude, was an important part of WW2 and something that no simulator has yet tackled satisfactorily. And, as mentioned, there are already guncams for some DCS modules (e.g. MiG-15bis), so the mechanism exists… it just needs to be in the WW2 aircraft as a photo-recon camera option, pointing down instead of forward and activating a trigger or event when a photograph is taken.

Hopefully this is something that ED will consider for DCS. And hopefully this is something that they would consider discussing first, so they can implement what is actually needed by the community, rather than what they think they think the community wants.

Ref:  https://stormofwar.net/2021/02/23/february-2021-player-interview-with-xvii-dietrich/

• Like 2

IIRC Suntsag has a photo recon mission that makes use of zones and triggers to simulate the photo taking and delivery aspect. He has a youtube video that explains it. I might be muddling the details. It was posted something like 6-9 months ago I think.

On 6/16/2021 at 9:25 PM, xvii-Dietrich said:

Yes!  Anything to support reconnaissance would be great. To extend the idea further, I would advocate adding a reconnaissance camera mechanism. When I was asked on features to implement in DCS, this was my recommendation. Furthermore, it could use the "guncam" mechanism (which already exists in the F-86F and MiG-15bis).

Ref:  https://stormofwar.net/2021/02/23/february-2021-player-interview-with-xvii-dietrich/

Interesting interview post…

A flyable 88 would be really good 👍

… as would a Beaufighter and, errr, a Mosquito…

(I suspect the Mossie might satisfy your wish for a twin???)

I guess the next challenge for ED’s expansion of DCS will need to be more crew - there are a lot of interesting twins, but the multi-crew element will curtail stuff like the B-25, Blenheim, He111, Do17, and indeed the Ju88

After that - viermotor…!

but… SH3, now we are talking 👍

Largely gave up flight sims for SH3+GWX, probably one of my favourite games / mods ever.

A great shame that the GWX team called it a day, and an even greater shame that SH5 didn’t deliver 😢

So, are low level “dicing” missions likely to be feasible in DCS…?

or is the AI too quick and too “all seeing”?

Is the Spit likely to be the most suitable for high speed, low level PRU incursions?

anything faster (at low level) in the hanger?

Edited by rkk01

Spitfire would be the worst for low level recon 🙂

P-51 would be the fastest on allied side

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Thanks👍

Haven’t flown the Mustang for a very long time… but my main memory of it was of always cooking the engine 😕

I guess keeping the speed up and engine running for a full low level insertion mission would be quite a challenge

Mustang even at climb power (46/2700) is probably as fast as spitfire at SL, perfect plane for this would be Tempest or Typhoon those were the fastest at low level.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

On 6/16/2021 at 8:47 AM, rkk01 said:

Idea came from thinking through a low level scout around France before the Mossie dropped - particularly to see what is around Amiens 

Great idea for the photo recon mission, I would love this to be added.

If our Mosquito is fast enough to outrun the opposition in their late war pocket rockets then this would be a good additional role for it with say a mod or update from ED to turn it into a PR Mk IX of sorts.

Out of interest did you find anything of note around Amiens? Did ED add the prison at all? I haven't been down that way since the last update on the map so I have no idea if it was or not. I do recall BN adding to a post in the wish list that this request had been passed on to ED.

EDIT.

Here's a link to that thread requesting the Amiens Prison be added.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

41 minutes ago, bart said:

Great idea for the photo recon mission, I would love this to be added.

If our Mosquito is fast enough to outrun the opposition in their late war pocket rockets then this would be a good additional role for it with say a mod or update from ED to turn it into a PR Mk IX of sorts.

Out of interest did you find anything of note around Amiens? Did ED add the prison at all? I haven't been down that way since the last update on the map so I have no idea if it was or not. I do recall BN adding to a post in the wish list that this request had been passed on to ED.

EDIT.

Here's a link to that thread requesting the Amiens Prison be added.

No, haven’t made it to Amiens yet…

trying to work out which is going to be the best aircraft

Looks like it will have to be a Mustang Mk IV

Well, just flown down to Amiens in a Mustang IV - didn’t make it all the way as the engine failed halfway back across the Channel 😕

No prison there at the moment, just residential properties / gardens on the road heading out of town to the ENE (checked locations, landmarks, roads to follow on Google Earth)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rkk01 said:

No prison there at the moment, just residential properties / gardens on the road heading out of town to the ENE (checked locations, landmarks, roads to follow on Google Earth)

That's a shame, I thought they may have added something as a bit of an Easter egg for us long suffering - due to the endless wait! - Mossie fans. I really hope they add this to the map on or shortly after the Mosquito release. It would be a great historical target to have.

Edited by bart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

• ED Team
1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

best answer I’ve seen in a looooong time 👍👍👍

Dont want to say to much, I hate to ruin surprises. . . 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Check this out fellas!!!

In_Dev_23.07.2021.1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1