Moneys no object...best VR headset?

Hammer3246

4 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Lol, have you seen some the simpit setups that people have? VR is cheap in comparison. 

Yup.  VR is the "poor man's sim pit".

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

45 minutes ago, eaglecash867 said:

Yup.  VR is the "poor man's sim pit".

Yeah, I have "hybrid pit... I keep telling myself its "cheaper" lol.

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

2 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Yeah, I have "hybrid pit... I keep telling myself its "cheaper" lol.

I still have one of those too, with a 24" touchscreen monitor mounted on an inverted ceiling mount so I could use Helios profiles.  Spent countless hours designing and building the thing.  I think I easily spent 2 to 3 times what the G2 cost...and then VR came along.  Oh well, it still makes a great, solid mounting platform for my HOTAS and rudder pedals.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

On 7/27/2021 at 9:21 PM, TripRodriguez said:

Vive Pro 2 users:

Vive Pro 2 got really bad reviews, and my overseas friend who ordered it returned it after only a few days and went back to his Reverb G2.  

Can anyone here who has gone from the G2 to the Vive Pro 2 give me your impressions, criticisms, etc.?  I was so excited for VP2 but wrote it off completely after all I've heard thus far.  

What we really want is an Index V2!  Come on Valve!

Well I guess it comes down to individual taste. What closed the deal for me (VP2 over G2) are better colors, less screen-door and - hands down - tracking. There are some annoyances, yes (weights more, Fresnel-induced bloom around high-contrast objects), but to me, the VP2 feels to be the much better overall package. I know there are people who love their G2. Not me. If you have the chance, try both (obviously 🙂 .   

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 1:35 AM, cfrag said:

Well I guess it comes down to individual taste. What closed the deal for me (VP2 over G2) are better colors, less screen-door and - hands down - tracking. There are some annoyances, yes (weights more, Fresnel-induced bloom around high-contrast objects), but to me, the VP2 feels to be the much better overall package. I know there are people who love their G2. Not me. If you have the chance, try both (obviously 🙂 .   

How's the glare?, cause y read that is a lot worse than the g2 or the quest2. Similar to the index

Ryzen 3700x - 2080ti - 16GB 3200 - 500G SSD - OCULUS RIFT S

Glare is only really noticeable on high-contrast parts of the environment: when the entire room is black with a very bright, white object somewhere. It's next to unnoticeable while playing a DCS mission, but you can see it when you load DCS and the DCS logo comes up in front of you inside the loading construct. Once the real graphics load, you can't see it except for rare (usually when I work in Mission Editor) occurrences. It's not much in evidence when I look at my MFD (black background with bright green text) at night in the Hornet, so I feel that glare is very well contained. But I have to acknowledge that it's there and could be a problem for some.

4 minutes ago, cfrag said:

Glare is only really noticeable on high-contrast parts of the environment: when the entire room is black with a very bright, white object somewhere. It's next to unnoticeable while playing a DCS mission, but you can see it when you load DCS and the DCS logo comes up in front of you inside the loading construct. Once the real graphics load, you can't see it except for rare (usually when I work in Mission Editor) occurrences. It's not much in evidence when I look at my MFD (black background with bright green text) at night in the Hornet, so I feel that glare is very well contained. But I have to acknowledge that it's there and could be a problem for some.

What’s the sweet spot like compared to the g2? I’m struggling a bit with that.

That's the strange part. I have no issues with either, which may be due to my larger PD (and the fact that I went to an optometrist to have it measured). The sweet spot is somewhat smaller than the Vive Pro (1), which I still consider has the best sweet spot (for my head size) of all HMD; G2 and Pro 2 seem pretty much the same to me, with slightly more blurring when I glance sideways on the Pro 2. While experimenting I also found that the Pro 2's head strap (which is of paramount importance to position the HMD for optimal sweet spot) is more comfortable and easier to handle than the G2 -- that should not, however, be a prime deciding factor, just another small point in favor of the Pro 2.