Boom boom video :)

Eldur

I can imagine the Raduga sight is rendered like an MFD, so it's bound to the cockpit display setting and restrictions. I mean it also has to work in VR somehow and probably will do just alike with TIR as well. The full screen scope then is just a convenience thing for pancake pilots twilightsmile.png

Pre-Order Today and Save 30%. Offer ends SOON.

Well, I guess that's not the two weeks™ kind of soon there dealwithit.png

• Like 3

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Is this moving map (that's exactly the plotter course tag) is working or not yet? On video I dont see it (but pointer maybe is too small)... (how it works - from 1.09):

• Thanks 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'm gonna have to watch this video a few more times to figure it out exactly. So the way I figure it Petrovich can't find targets unless you designate a target area and only then can you cycle between targets? Once you do, you can fire the missile yourself if you're in range, or you can select free fire and Petrovic will fire it himself. 

Is that right?

Another thing, it looks like that as soon as the missile hits Petrovich "forgets" all about the target site, so you have to go through the whole procedure again? Or is it enough that I simply select another target from the menu, and he will fire on that target? 

So many questions...

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

@Lurker

yes waggs says petrovich has a semi auto mode (brown) and full auto mode (green) for if you want to fire the missile. or have petrovich auto fire.

you select the mode.

As to targets, you need to unhook the gunner from the target so the sight closes before you reach the limit of 60 degree.

as this can damage the sight.

so i would assume you need to setup the target area each run.

you can probably fire more than one missile per run though. if you fly slow enough.

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

7 minutes ago, Quadg said:

As to targets, you need to unhook the gunner from the target so the sight closes before you reach the limit of 60 degree.

as this can damage the sight.

This is another weird point. Why would this damage the sight? I can't think of a logical reason why they would make the sight susceptible to damage from own-ship maneuvers? 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

It doesn't damage the sight, it just messes up the targeting gyros - requiring a system power off/on to reset them and the incurred warm up time  (2-3   3-4 minutes). 

Pgs 51-53 Mi-24P Quick Start Manual

Turn on ATGM sight power (1) and guidance unit panel. The Л3 “L3” light should
illuminate: ...

In 3–4 minutes, the READNS. indicator will illuminate, indicating guidance unit readiness:

image.png

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

1 minute ago, wowbagger said:

It doesn't damage the sight, it just messes up the targeting gyros - requiring a system power off/on and the incurred warm up time  (2-3 minutes). 

While you're here...

Does Petrovich fire other weapons or just the ATGMs?

Edited by Beirut
Because!

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

From pg72 of the Mi-24P Quick Start Manual:

ADDITIONAL FEATURES

Petrovich has some other features that are always available:

•    When you are in the Pilot-Observer seat, and the OBSERV targeting gyros
switch on the Guidance Unit panel is on, Petrovich will limit the amount of
helicopter maneuvering to protect the targeting periscope gyros.

•    When  you  are  in  the  Pilot-Commander  seat,  Petrovich  will  turn  off  the
targeting  gyros  if  you  make  large  cyclic  inputs.  We  still  recommend
explicitly  commanding  Petrovich  to  switch  off  the  targeting  gyros  using
Menu Down Short prior to performing aggressive maneuvers.

3 minutes ago, Beirut said:

While you're here...

Does Petrovich fire other weapons or just the ATGMs?

I believe, the Hind is designed so that the pilot is responsible for the unguided weapons; the pilot's cockpit has a far better unguided sight, and he is (normally) in control of the helo's flight path. The observer can fire them but it isn't normal operating procedure. If you are flying the Hind as pilot, it wouldn't make any sense to have an AI firing the unguided weapons, as far as I can see.   If you're asking whether you can sit in the observer 'pit and have Petrovich both fly the helo and use the unguided weapons ... I couldn't say.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

2 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

From pg72 of the Mi-24P Quick Start Manual:

I believe, the Hind is designed so that the pilot is responsible for the unguided weapons; the pilot's cockpit has a far better unguided sight, and he is (normally) in control of the helo's flight path. The observer can fire them but it isn't normal operating procedure. If you are flying the Hind as pilot, it wouldn't make any sense to have an AI firing the unguided weapons, as far as I can see.   If you're asking whether you can sit in the observer 'pit and have Petrovich both fly the helo and use the unguided weapons ... I couldn't say.  🤷‍♂️

Thanks. :drinks_cheers:

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

31 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This is another weird point. Why would this damage the sight? I can't think of a logical reason why they would make the sight susceptible to damage from own-ship maneuvers? 

I think it could happen if you maneuver too hard and you collide the stabilized sight on its gimbal edges. 

Similar thing is with the AV-8B Harrier (not modeled by Razbam) that if you do not apply power to the DMT (as some people recommends that so you don't mess with it when using TPOD) then the DMT gimbal is not locked in place and it moves freely. And if you maneuver you can damage the DMT gimbal itself even when it has some rubber/flexible dampeners around it.

So in normal flight it should survive without power, but better be safe and power it so DMT gimbal is locked in place. 

I think that similar is with that. 

As after all that sight in Mi-24 is from a tank (can be from IFV or MBT, don't remember that), and it is locked in place aligned with the gun, and is required to be stabilized only by the turret two-plane (vertical and horizontal) movements. So there is no where such gimbal limits there as it is now in helicopter.

And that has likely been one of the pain in the butt for Mil designers that they were not allowed to develop a custom own sighting system for Mi-24 but were ordered to use existing periscope from the army. So how do you make a +/- 60 degree stabilization with +/- 60 degree roll stabilization work when no ground vehicle would ever be subject for such?

So they managed to make a complex gimbal for bottom of the fuselage and stabilize it with such huge range and that can be such that you have some limits there if you hit too hard there.

But, remember that the system is designed so that once you reach the gimbal limit, the sight will reset to boresight. But that likely in normal flight conditions and not when pilot like now the Petrovich did that it makes hard turns, bleeding speed while doing so. Like look at the Wags commanded "hook turn". From about 300 km/h speed Petrovich consumed 150 km/h for turn. So there is tweaking to be done that Petrovich would not be so hard handed to perform the turns, but try to make them smoothly. I think that needs to be done relative to the distance or amount of corrections. Like if you want to do a 5 degree correction, don't wave the cyclic around to do it, but do it smoothly. If it is 90 degree "visual turn" (left short) and player looks closer, then perform tight turn as it is almost as "Enemy there! Under kilometer" instead "Enemy 3 km at 3'clock" where smooth turn would make sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Another thing, it looks like that as soon as the missile hits Petrovich "forgets" all about the target site, so you have to go through the whole procedure again? Or is it enough that I simply select another target from the menu, and he will fire on that target?

I would like to see that as long the Petrovich is "in observe mode" (Up Short) then as long it keeps scanning the targets in the area. After destroying one, it should automatically show again the list for player to choose from.

If not so, then maybe Up Short again commands such list to appear? As I don't see reason why Petrovich should be called OUT and then back IN to search the area....

Considering that you want to engage one target, maybe second and then go around for a new attack run. You don't want to have to find the combat area again and AI should know where it was (he is responsible for navigation as well!). And when you get heading again inside +/-60 degree for re-attack, you should get list again. 

What I saw odd in the Wags video was that when he commanded Petrovich to go in Observe Mode and Wags explained how it takes some time for it to find the targets. I assumed that you would see the CCIP pipper move across the area. 

So first a delay that Petrovich changes the position and gets eye on the sight. 

Then see the CCIP pipper moved to the area.

And see the CCIP pipper move a few seconds across vertically and horizontally scanning the area for targets and then list them.

But maybe that is what was shown. Petrovich spotted immediately few targets once the CCIP pipper moved on the area and decided not to scan more?

https://youtu.be/jtzLUCO-KfU?t=736

Later on one can see that Petrovich starts moving CCIP pipper up on the horizon

https://youtu.be/jtzLUCO-KfU?t=825

• Like 2

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Ok just skimmed over the quick guide manual for the Hind, and I have a few more questions. Will Petrovich be able to "spot" enemy or friendly units at some point during or after early access, and give callouts like approximate distance, heading? (Sort of like Jester in the F14). Will he be able to react to SAM missile trails and dispense countermeasures? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iLOVEwindmills said:

Why does the picture quality through the site look so horribly low quality?

The teapod on the f18 was a little rough to start with if I remember correctly but will be improved later on at a guess.

Edited by freehand

I hope that Petrovich can be a bit more automated. For example, the target list that appears.
A nice option would be that Petrovich choose a target automatically based on a priority list.

Petrovitch Target Priority: (example)

1. Air Defence Units
2. MBT
3. APC
4. Unarmed Vehicles
5. Soldiers

That way you won't need to cycle all the way to the ZU-23-4 Shilka when you are engaging an area with lots of other units that
may not pose such a threat.

• Like 1

If multiple targets are found, you will be shown a list of possible targets, and you can use the Menu commands to select a target to track. (See the table above.) The target list will be sorted in threat order (air defense targets at the top).

• Like 3

Untitled-2.png