DCS UH-60 Blackhawk mod

I did a cold start and noticed the "Stabilator" warning light was on the caution panel so I manually trimmed it to full down as I understand that is what is required for takeoff. 

I could not find a way remove the caution on the panel, so I took off with disastrous results. As airspeed increased, sure enough, the nose went low and was unrecoverable. 

Can someone elaborate on why I had the stabilator caution light on, I did endeavour to follow the cold start procedure but I have obviously missed something. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

12 hours ago, Devil 505 said:

Like others have stated above, I have had some issues getting the radio to work using the "\" key.

Mods don't have access to ED's radio API, so they are forced to use a very simplified radio system, as far as I know.

The only solution with this mod (and all other mods that I know of) is to use Easy Comms. You can enable Easy Comms globally in DCS -> Options -> Gameplay, or you can enforce Easy Comms in a mission via the Mission Editor by going to the Mission Options tab and setting both the left and the right checkboxes for Easy Comms (the left one enforces the mission setting over the global game setting, the right one forces this setting to be on).

7 hours ago, Toni Carrera said:

On take off, I apply slight back pressure to the cyclic to try and avoid the rolling forward, is there an official way to stop the helicopter moving forward on take off

As far as I'm aware, you're doing it exactly right.

7 hours ago, Toni Carrera said:

Is the official way to slow down, cyclic back matched with collective reduction, to maintain altitude, and therefore increasing AOA. She just does not like to reduce speed for some reason. Maybe I am doing it wrong??

Same here; the Black Hawk seems to take as much distance as an aircraft carrier to slow down. I guess we just have to plan our approaches accordingly, or fly a descending circle around our landing spot. 😉

4 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

Can someone elaborate on why I had the stabilator caution light on

Step 8 in the mod's Start Up Procedure is to switch Stabilator AUTO CONTROL to ON. Its light should show ON as soon as it's pressed, and the stabilator advisory light should go off. I'm not aware of anything else that's required for the automatic stabilator control.

If it's not working automatically, I assume we're supposed to operate it manually, but I haven't ventured that far into the systems yet. 😉

Edited by Yurgon
Typo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Toni Carrera said:

3. Is the official way to slow down, cyclic back matched with collective reduction, to maintain altitude, and therefore increasing AOA. She just does not like to reduce speed for some reason. Maybe I am doing it wrong??

The Black Hawk is 2 to 3 times heavier than the Huey - quite a bit of inertia. Your doing it right, I suppose. As far as I'm aware of, there is no other way to slow down a helicopter.

There are basically two options. a) It's a cruise/passenger flight and you don't want them to throw up -> start deceleration early, b) It's a combat maneuver -> more back pressure/more AoA.

Just my thoughts, but I'm not an expert on it in any way!

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

My thanks to you both @Yurgon and @Hiob

Any ideas on question 2, relating to square on views of upper panel and centre console, when using TrackIR? The whole snap view thing is complicated when you have to hold down LWin + NumPad and then with your third hand click the mouse, RALT + Numpad and third hand

Thanks

Edited by Toni Carrera

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

8 minutes ago, Toni Carrera said:

My thanks to you both @Yurgon and @Hiob

Any ideas on question 2, relating to square on views of upper panel and centre console, when using TrackIR? The whole snap view thing is complicated when you have to hold down LWin + NumPad and then with your third hand click the mouse, RALT + Numpad and third hand

Thanks

You could pause TrackIR and then press and hold the mouse wheel and drag your mouse around to move the head, release the mouse wheel and look around.

Or switch to the second seat to see the other side better.

Edited by razo+r

Absolutely brilliant mod. I have been taking a break from flight sims for a while (got into racing sims), but as soon as I heard about this mod I instantly installed DCS back. Love it so far. Tested it with SAS1 and SAS2 disabled to see how "raw" helicopter behaves, and you can tell this one is so much heavier than UH-1H. Lot's of inertia. Also super easy to get into VSR.

I have one issue so far (not sure if it is mod specific)- I cannot assign wheel brake axis properly; it stays inverted (no matter if I use inverted axis option, or not- as soon as I press it it gets registered as 100% pressed when I release the pressure). I am using Logitech G940 (pedals have pressure axis) if that matters. I am using "slider" option checked ON.

Almost forgot- External Tanks seem to be always green no matter the livery- probably not intentional?

Questions to people who tried this mod:

- Anyone here uses Force Trim (FFB joystick) with this mod? I am not sure how to make it work with my joystick- when I use Trim Release button the joystick "center" moves, and it makes flying awkward. EDIT: OK, I found post one page back saying, that this trim system is meant to be used with spring centering joysticks. SimFFB works great. Now eventually I will learn how to use Autopilot function this mod offers, hope I will be able to use AP and SimFFB together.

Anyways- thanks for mod makers, it's so awesome!

Edited by Samek

[sIGPIC]http://i55.tinypic.com/21oydlx.jpg[/sIGPIC]

ヒューイ最高!o(≧∇≦o)

2 hours ago, Morpheus said:

For me RCtrl+Enter (show axis) doesn't work, I have two orange lines in "Option", keyboard make first line "active", I can only assigne stick button and no result in game. Any solution ?

Capture d’écran 2022-01-20 212550.png

I had to clear out the binding in the second one, then it started working.
Cheers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Samek said:

- Anyone here uses Force Trim (FFB joystick) with this mod? I am not sure how to make it work with my joystick- when I use Trim Release button the joystick "center" moves, and it makes flying awkward. EDIT: OK, I found post one page back saying, that this trim system is meant to be used with spring centering joysticks. SimFFB works great. Now eventually I will learn how to use Autopilot function this mod offers, hope I will be able to use AP and SimFFB together.

I have the MS FFB2. Trimming is out the question for me, just doesn't work.
When I open the controls indicator I can clearly see what happens. The "trim point" and the "FFB point" gets out of sync, just like an ordinary joystick.

In the two screen captures I am trimming with the trim hat, not using my stick at all. And you can see that the trimming (blue) is totally out of whack in relation to the stick (red). The greens are the  dampening system/autopilot I guess.

image.png

image.png

I think the solution could be to use SimFFB, like you say, and not bind the trim button in the module.
I'm unable to test it, as SimFFB crashes for me now. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yurgon said:

Step 8 in the mod's Start Up Procedure is to switch Stabilator AUTO CONTROL to ON. Its light should show ON as soon as it's pressed, and the stabilator advisory light should go off. I'm not aware of anything else that's required for the automatic stabilator control.

If it's not working automatically, I assume we're supposed to operate it manually, but I haven't ventured that far into the systems yet. 😉

That will no doubt be it. I don’t remember doing that. Thanks heaps. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

13 hours ago, Samek said:

Absolutely brilliant mod. I have been taking a break from flight sims for a while (got into racing sims), but as soon as I heard about this mod I instantly installed DCS back. Love it so far. Tested it with SAS1 and SAS2 disabled to see how "raw" helicopter behaves, and you can tell this one is so much heavier than UH-1H. Lot's of inertia. Also super easy to get into VSR.

I have one issue so far (not sure if it is mod specific)- I cannot assign wheel brake axis properly; it stays inverted (no matter if I use inverted axis option, or not- as soon as I press it it gets registered as 100% pressed when I release the pressure). I am using Logitech G940 (pedals have pressure axis) if that matters. I am using "slider" option checked ON.

Almost forgot- External Tanks seem to be always green no matter the livery- probably not intentional?

Questions to people who tried this mod:

Hey, mine change so it matches the livery, sometimes try adding them removing them and then re-add them in the loadout menu.

• Like 1

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

14 hours ago, Samek said:

Right. I found out why simFFB wash crashing. Didn't like my vJoy setup. Also had an older version, so I compiled the latest 3.3

Anyway, it now works excellently with the UH-60L. I don't bind the "trim release" button the controls, and just solely rely on simFFB.
Just awesome, and it really shines now.

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Right. I found out why simFFB wash crashing. Didn't like my vJoy setup. Also had an older version, so I compiled the latest 3.3

Anyway, it now works excellently with the UH-60L. I don't bind the "trim release" button the controls, and just solely rely on simFFB.
Just awesome, and it really shines now.

Good for you! SimFFB is great. I am only thinking if I will be able to use autopilot without mapping Trim Release?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC]http://i55.tinypic.com/21oydlx.jpg[/sIGPIC]

ヒューイ最高!o(≧∇≦o)

Hi All,

Firstly, I love this mod, and would have been happy to have paid something for it

Although I have gone through the manual, and the FPAS pages over and over, I 'think' it might be FPAS that is messing me up when flying. Is there any other way of perhaps trying to word it / understand it, or even glance to know it is on

Note:- I have mapped my TM A-10C stick and throttle exactly as suggested in the pdf 

Also, I am being fractionally, literally degrees at a time, gentle on take off, and yet the second the wheels are off the ground, the heli violently lurches forward, side slips, rotates, anything other than a nice controlled hover, even if it is a slight movement forward. I can fly the Huey and Gazelle and hover them reasonably, but I can't get the hawk to behave itself

I have calibrated the Axis, inverted the power as it was weird pulling back on left throttle, yes I am using my TM A-10C currently, until I get perhaps a VIRPIL, if they do one specifically for the AH-64D that is

Anyway, any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks

Toni

Edited by Toni Carrera
  • Like 1

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

2 hours ago, Toni Carrera said:

Note:- I have mapped my TM A-10C stick and throttle exactly as suggested in the pdf 

Also, I am being fractionally, literally degrees at a time, gentle on take off, and yet the second the wheels are off the ground, the heli violently lurches forward, side slips, rotates, anything other than a nice controlled hover, even if it is a slight movement forward. I can fly the Huey and Gazelle and hover them reasonably, but I can't get the hawk to behave itself

Exactly the same behaviour here... I've seen videos of people taking off / landing easily the UH-60.. no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Just my 2c!

Am 19.1.2022 um 16:00 schrieb Lurker:

Effort. Time. Comes down to the same thing. As you should probably know, it takes a while setting up any module in DCS world, time which could be better spent just doing something else. Like flying another module. So instead of wasting some of my time downloading, installing this, and setting it up, then maybe giving up and deleting it because it's a mod and some things are wonky and need to be set up in a certain way, maybe someone can come along and help me out and maybe, just maybe give me a heads up on how to do it properly the first time round? (Or just telling me not to bother)

Well, then it's simple. If you can't be bothered, don't bother...

Why should someone waste time on writing it all down, if you may not try it anyway? Instead we could spend that time much better doing some flying... Why is your time more precious then other people's? 😉

• Like 4

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Toni Carrera:

Hi All,

Firstly, I love this mod, and would have been happy to have paid something for it

Although I have gone through the manual, and the FPAS pages over and over, I 'think' it might be FPAS that is messing me up when flying. Is there any other way of perhaps trying to word it / understand it, or even glance to know it is on

I have calibrated the Axis, inverted the power as it was weird pulling back on left throttle, yes I am using my TM A-10C currently, until I get perhaps a VIRPIL, if they do one specifically for the AH-64D that is

Anyway, any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks

Toni

Try setting up a demo mission in the Mission Editor, put a UH-60L on the ramp, with Skill: "Player", Waypoint: "Start from ground engine on".

That way all systems are set and on. Do you have the same behavior? If not, it's likely any or some of: SAS 1 & 2, Boost not activated or Stabilizer not in "Auto".

If the behavior persists, I would look into my controls setup. Multiple Axis assigned to the same? Only one Column should have an Axis set in any row! Axis set inverted/not inverted, Setup correct? Check with RCTL+RETURN that axis follow the inputs as expected.

Check you use Force Trim Release correct. Press and hold FTR while you maneuver, do NOT just click it multiple times, as it will quickly re-trim your center. Again, monitor the Controls overlay, the red diamond is your stick position, blue the trim, green seems to represent the SAS corrections...

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hi @shagrat

I had already tried the Mission Editor options you have suggested. I know my controls are OK/ Axis etc

I will try your FTR suggestion now, I feel that might be it, because as I mentioned in my original post, the FPAS part of the of the manual, although written in plain understandable English, I for some reason did not totally understand it

What you have suggested though, I totally understand

Off to try now, update to follow....

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

Hi @shagrat

FTR seems to have been the issue. Tried what you suggested and it worked for me. My take off and flight was a lot more successful., thank you

I just need to muscle memory pressing it as required. One question, is there an obvious light or something in front eye sight to show when the FTR is depressed etc?

Again, my thanks

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

Ok, Like others have read and re read the CPIS information that was linked in the quick start guide and although I have the flight director roll bar working pretty well I cannot for the life of me get the pitch bar to work even though I have successfully selected on the ALT mode (speed between 70-150 kts and Vertical speed +/-200 fpm) the light for altitude hold comes on but and the collective command indication shoots up but the pitch bar remains asleep at the botom of the vertical situation display (which any other aircraft manufacturer would call an AH) perhaps this has something to do with which "sub-mode" it is in, but the only selection that I am aware of is ALT.

The same goes for the ILS mode, I can see a valid ILS signal displayed on the VSI howeverwhen I intercept the GS, after successful intercept of the LOC, the pitch bar does not show useful information and the collective command indication is does not make sense either. 

If this is simply a bug at this point, no problem at all but ususally it's just me too stupid to figure it out. 

Again, awesome mod. I have been waiting for this mod...like....all my life!

Edited by Willie Nelson
More information.

20 hours ago, shagrat said:

Well, then it's simple. If you can't be bothered, don't bother...

Why should someone waste time on writing it all down, if you may not try it anyway? Instead we could spend that time much better doing some flying... Why is your time more precious then other people's? 😉

Thankfully these types of comments come from a minority in this otherwise great community.

Everyone else who actually replied to my original query thanks for the replies. It means quite a bit to me, thanks guys. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.