Metric/Imperial button in F10 MAP?

Grievo

4 hours ago, sirrah said:

Alt-Y only changes the coordinate values, it does not change the ruler to km's. Something that is useful for instance for the Hip (and soon the Hind) with their doppler systems

Did you miss this?

"Need to remind that we already have the option to switch between map coordinates values in editor and in F10 map."

"But this is like 10th wish thread about this very exact topic at least since 2016."

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Did you miss this?

"Need to remind that we already have the option to switch between map coordinates values in editor and in F10 map."
"But this is like 10th wish thread about this very exact topic at least since 2016."

Not to be an Ass. But how do you change it "in" the editor and the map?
I'm sure@sirrah misunderstood you because you probably meant that "one can change it *in* the settings *for* the editor and the map".
Like I said, do not want to be pedantic, but for all us non native English speakers, a lot can get lost in translation by missing/mistyping a single word. I really stirred another forum as the autocorrect did a number on me.
But I agree Fri, this feature request comes up from time to time, just let's cross our fingers. Have feeling this thread is done.
Have a super day everyone, no matter your measurements!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just now, MAXsenna said:

Not to be an Ass. But how do you change it "in" the editor and the map?

In editor you change it from View menu. You need to move mouse to refresh view then.

As I said, we have this feature in editor, but not the button for toolbar. And we don't have it as button (or feature at all) in F10 map. 

Just now, MAXsenna said:

I'm sure@sirrah misunderstood you because you probably meant that "one can change it *in* the settings *for* the editor and the map".

One can do it there as well, but you don't need to for editor.

That is the silly part, we have the quick change in "View -> Unit" drop-down menu in the editor, but we don't have it in the F10 map. The functionality is right there but not added.

1) Add the button to toolbar to switch between Imperial and Metric. 

2) Remove the "View -> Unit" feature

3) Add that button in the F10 map view.

4) ???

5) Profit!

Just now, MAXsenna said:

But I agree Fri, this feature request comes up from time to time, just let's cross our fingers. Have feeling this thread is done.

We have like 10 threads about this, why I don't hold my breath this is anytime soon implemented.... 😉

• Like 2

Here is how I would make it in the editor, we have at the bottom already two values.

1) Coordinates where the cursor is on map.

2) Altitude to terrain where cursor is on map.

Even when they are not visually buttons, they could be used as such to switch between them when clicked with mouse. 

Imperial_metric2.jpg

That would allow maintain the interface, but as well add the functionality. 

And we can do that same thing for the external views in the game view, and the F10 map.

Imperial_metric_fly2.jpg

Imperial_metric_F10.jpg

Adding a two buttons to make that switch in the toolbar wouldn't be bad. It would be visual and clear for everyone that "this does that" every different view then. As without the button UI element it can be easily mistaken as user can't know by looking that coordinates or altitude numbers are clickable. 

This should be a couple hour work for a programmer as the functionality is already in it. 

Then the settings function should be replaced by the feature to make it automatic based the flown aircrat.

So if the player has a metric aircraft, map is automatically set to metric mode as long that aircraft is flown.

If it is imperial aircraft, then it is swapped to that automatically.

• Like 3

Here is how I would make it in the editor, we have at the bottom already two values.
1) Coordinates where the cursor is on map.
2) Altitude to terrain where cursor is on map.

Even when they are not visually buttons, they could be used as such to switch between them when clicked with mouse. 

Imperial_metric2.thumb.jpg.82b036cefdc809ef63bdbdb662252d33.jpg

That would allow maintain the interface, but as well add the functionality. 

And we can do that same thing for the external views in the game view, and the F10 map.

Imperial_metric_fly2.thumb.jpg.9821cf74afa9ee320e9ec6ed23de6f2f.jpg

Imperial_metric_F10.thumb.jpg.b3f19fbe67357de84f883b735d82fdcc.jpg

Adding a two buttons to make that switch in the toolbar wouldn't be bad. It would be visual and clear for everyone that "this does that" every different view then. As without the button UI element it can be easily mistaken as user can't know by looking that coordinates or altitude numbers are clickable. 

This should be a couple hour work for a programmer as the functionality is already in it. 
Then the settings function should be replaced by the feature to make it automatic based the flown aircrat.
So if the player has a metric aircraft, map is automatically set to metric mode as long that aircraft is flown.
If it is imperial aircraft, then it is swapped to that automatically.
Great idea!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Utterly great idea!
With one change, pretty please: for speeds it's not "metric vs. imperial". There are three units: km/h, mph (statue miles per hour) and knots (nautical miles per hour).

EDIT: (Yeah, with "plane-automatic" system of units it becomes irrelevant, I just wanted to point out just in case that there are 3 units, not 2).

Edited by scoobie
  • Like 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 3:57 PM, scoobie said:

Utterly great idea!
With one change, pretty please: for speeds it's not "metric vs. imperial". There are three units: km/h, mph (statue miles per hour) and knots (nautical miles per hour).

EDIT: (Yeah, with "plane-automatic" system of units it becomes irrelevant, I just wanted to point out just in case that there are 3 units, not 2).

Absolutely, a lot of the ww2 aircraft are in MPH. 

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.