Metric/Imperial button in F10 MAP?

Grievo

Could we please have a button on the F10 map that converts the ruler from Imperial to Metric or vice versa? 

I often switch between aircraft that have KPH or Knots and for navigation (and targeting) purposes It would make it much easier if I could easily switch between the two without leaving the server, changing the option and logging back in. I currently use an E6-B flight computer, but I have to lift the VR goggles and it's a bit of a pain in the arse, and I'm sure I'm in a minority of people who would be willing to do that!!!

So... I submit my humble request.

@BIGNEWY @NineLine

• Like 5

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

Enough Just adapt everyone in the world to the metric system.

it is not normal that we are in 2021 and there are still FEET, MILES, POUNDS, INCHES, Ounces, GALLONS, etc.

MATHEMATICS is 1 and it is universal and a pity to ruin it with these measuring systems that are now as old and ancient as the ROMAN EMPIRE.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Xilon_x said:

it is not normal that we are in 2021 and there are still FEET, MILES, POUNDS, INCHES, Ounces, GALLONS, etc.

MATHEMATICS is 1 and it is universal and a pity to ruin it with these measuring systems that are now as old and ancient as the ROMAN EMPIRE.

Imperial ain't going anywhere. So probably just get used to it.

Considering no one adds anything in their head anymore anyway, any benefit of moving to metric is gone. So it's just an arbitrary number anyway.

Of course there's the good old "Europe was liberated by the foot, yard and mile, while Zyklon B was produced by the tonne, and used, by the kilogram"

Apart from that provocative little aside, the first nation to land men on the moon did it using Imperial, manned flight past the sound barrier was broken by engineers using Imperial units etc etc. The idea that Metric is somehow innately superior is ridiculous, it's just thought to be easier to learn. But anyone who learns it so such an extent could have picked up Imperial anyway, so there you are.

but it is easier and more precise to say 1 km than to say 1 mile.
1.60934 km one mile.

it is simpler and more accurate to say 1m 1 foot. 3,28084 feet 0 1m.

absurd absurd AMERICANS, ENGLISH, just update yourself, the colonial age is over for a long time we are about to enter the quantum era.

Edited by Xilon_x

26 minutes ago, Xilon_x said:

1.60934 km one mile.

absurd absurd AMERICANS, ENGLISH, just update yourself, the colonial age is over for a long time we are about to enter the quantum era.

No one says 1.60934 km though do they? They say a mile. It’s as accurate as a km. It’s a fixed distance. It is just a different scale of reference. Both numbers are arbitrary, you’ve just got this idea that one number from thin air is more accurate than another. It isn’t. 

34 minutes ago, Xilon_x said:

1.60934 km one mile.

🤦‍♂️

Kind suggestion @Xilon_xstop your nonsense, you're making a complete fool out of yourself.

Back on topic:

It would indeed be useful if we could switch between imperial and metric from within the F10 map

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

3 minutes ago, sirrah said:

️

gentile suggerimento @Xilon_x smettila con le tue sciocchezze, ti stai rendendo completamente ridicolo.

ok ok stay with your imperial system for me there is no problem I just have to do a simple conversion.
I finish here.

This is that rare time when i agree with xillon . Engineering is much easier with metric references . 12 inches to the foot , 3 feet to the yard , 1760 yards to the mile is ridiculous compared to units of ten for a metric equivalent . Linear measurements aside , calculating relative volumes , surface-to-volume ratios ,  or masses is much easier as well . 

The imperial system is ad hoc , the metric rational .

• Like 2

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

+1

@Xilon_x - it's not about "updating" anybody. It's about the planes which "work" in different units depending on era and country of origin.
And more precision does not equal "better". You may measure the distance from your home to work in angstrems - that would be even more precise. Go on 🙂

As a side note...
I get gloomy reading charts in km/h, kg etc. for P-47 (or even - quote: "km. /h." - what's that?) and "Alitude limits" in meters for Spitfire.
I'd get as gloomy reading MiG-29's practical ceiling in feet.
Giving manuals in "wrong" units is... really... it's annoying. And rather pointless.
Since those planes were born in either imperial or metric countries, at their time, let it stay that way. I don't want to - sitting in the cockpit - convert units from system given in manual to system present in this cockpit. Same goes to ME.
ORIGINAL units for every aircraft. Free aircraft from bad alien units! 🙂  Call in Greta! 🙂

• Like 2

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

1 hour ago, Xilon_x said:

There is only three countries left that use imperial, and it is USA. Liberia and Myanmar. 

Map.png

But there is reason why so, as it would be just too difficult for USA to convert to metric.

Like our whole navigation coordination system is based to degrees, minutes, seconds...

The aviation is based to seafaring by using the clock and coordination system. And that is based to whole 360 degrees that is based to sun size and movement across the horizon.

We could nicely drop the imperial system and just switch to metric one, but it requires that one country of the three to actually accept that they lost the scientific argument.

Interesting would be that what would happen if USA would officially abandon imperial? Would we see how soon a aircraft with metric units?

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

6 minutes ago, Svsmokey said:

This is that rare time when i agree with xillon . Engineering is much easier with metric references . 12 inches to the foot , 3 feet to the yard , 1760 yards to the mile is ridiculous compared to units of ten for a metric equivalent . Linear measurements aside , calculating relative volumes , surface-to-volume ratios ,  or masses is much easier as well . 

The imperial system is ad hoc , the metric rational .

Many of us here will agree that the metric system is easier to use, but this rambling about "absurd absurd Americans" by someone who isn't even capable or doesn't care to learn English, annoys me (to put it mildly). Not even talking about how he's completely changing the OP's subject/wish

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

3 minutes ago, Xilon_x said:

even the British still use the imperial system and it has not yet completely disappeared in England.

Sure there are the traces of it, but it is just reason as it takes some time to people convert.

3 minutes ago, Xilon_x said:

Another absurd thing is that the British drive the car on the right and not on the left.

ABSURD ABSURD ABSURD

They drive on the left, not on the right. 

And hence so many countries that has been under British rule drives on the right. 

It is very understandable why these things has come to be.

Think about building a house in 15th century or something, you have someone telling you "I need 5 foot long board" and so on someone else put their foot on board and measures it to be five. Someone says in the bakery "I need five cups of flour" and so on one just picks up the proper cup and does measurement counting to five. 

Similar thing is with the belt, thumb, palm etc. You used all kind average measurement sizes as they were generic, but not accurate to even each others. And it didn't matter. 

Aviation is pretty much science all the time, and it would be so much easier to just switch all aircraft to metric system. But learning the mental gymnastic in DCS, it just makes it painfully fun. 

I just hope that one button would be there to switch quickly between even when doing a mission for imperial aircraft as it is easier to design with metric and then switch to imperial to confirm that they works as wanted. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Molti di noi qui saranno d'accordo sul fatto che il sistema metrico sia più facile da usare, ma questo divagare su "assurdi assurdi americani" da parte di qualcuno che non è nemmeno capace o non si preoccupa di imparare l'inglese, mi infastidisce (per usare un eufemismo). Nemmeno parlando di come sta cambiando completamente l'oggetto / desiderio dell'OP

I'm sorry but if you don't even know who discovered America, now do you expect an Italian to learn English perfectly?

and would you be able to learn Italian? no because you think you are an American with its history and culture that began thanks to the Europeans who discovered your land

We can debate all we want about metric vs imperial (even though metric reigns supreme!), what we can't change is what our instruments are set-up with, at least on the fly.

Personally I'd love to see a drop down box by units of measurement that allows us to set them up on the fly, both in the ME and in the F10 map. I'd even extend it to fuel.

+1

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

26 minutes ago, Xilon_x said:

I'm sorry but if you don't even know who discovered America, now do you expect an Italian to learn English perfectly?

and would you be able to learn Italian? no because you think you are an American with its history and culture that began thanks to the Europeans who discovered your land

I'm from The Netherlands....

As I said before.. you are making a fool of yourself and on top of that, you completely hijacked and derailed this thread..

And again, in an attempt to get this thread back on track, to the OP:

Good idea to have an easy switch option on the F10 map between imperial and metric units 

• Like 1

System specs:

1 hour ago, Grievo said:

Imperial ain't going anywhere. So probably just get used to it.

Considering no one adds anything in their head anymore anyway, any benefit of moving to metric is gone. So it's just an arbitrary number anyway.

Mother of God....what bubble do you live in?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sirrah said:

Vengo dai Paesi Bassi....

Come ho detto prima.. ti stai rendendo ridicolo e per di più, hai completamente dirottato e fatto deragliare questo thread..

E ancora, nel tentativo di riportare questo thread in carreggiata, all'OP:

Buona idea avere un'opzione di commutazione facile sulla mappa F10 tra unità imperiali e metriche 

absolutely not tempted to derail the discussion of the subject but my aim was to make certain points of view simpler and easier to understand both from the European and the American side and to understand why things have not changed up to now.

Making some sort of attempt to address the actual topic of this thread, I don't see why it couldn't or shouldn't be a thing. The Russian birds and the German warbirds have instruments marked in metric, so it could be beneficial to them. After all, I'm sure that the charts that real-world pilots of those planes use(d) would have been marked with the relevant scales, so being able to reflect that in the F10 map would be nice.

Regarding having an option to actually switch the instrumentation in the planes between metric and imperial, I'd say it's not something I'd ever use, but if enough people want it and it could be done easily then I don't see why it shouldn't be a thing. I do think it would detract from the realism for the pilot of that aircraft, as DCS strives to be as realistic as possible, so changing the aircraft because you don't like a bit of mental maths is a bit of a cop-out, but that's a choice people can make. I don't think its too different from having the option fly with realistic or simple controls.

It's a little bit disheartening that a common theme in this particular area of the forum is people shooting down wishlist ideas because it might not be something that they personally wouldn't use. I've never once used the LSO view on the Supercarrier, but I've also never objected to ED implementing it. People need to remember that DCS is made for all of us, not you personally. If there's something you don't want, but isn't going to impact on your experience even if they do include it, then why object?

What really does irk me though is how many times threads like this descend into arguments about off-topic crap. Fighting about which system is better (or who speaks better English, or what side of the road people should drive on) doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand. Some of the replies in here are quite toxic and, speaking for myself, I think it's a bit selfish, childish and inhibits the community. If people want to get personal and fight then personally I'd rather they just took it to PM or Discord.

Honestly, I have no idea why people on the internet can't just be civil to each other.

Edited by frostycab
  • Like 3

I agree with OP, as it would be handy, when flying the different modules.
The ruler has both nautical miles and kilometres. Really glad they implemented that. So I am positive they have "expansion of features" on the map on their to do list.

I changed this post because I replied before I had read all posts.
Cheers!

You forgot knots and stones.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, frostycab said:

Making some sort of attempt to address the actual topic of this thread, I don't see why it couldn't or shouldn't be a thing. The Russian birds and the German warbirds have instruments marked in metric, so it could be beneficial to them. After all, I'm sure that the charts that real-world pilots of those planes use(d) would have been marked with the relevant scales, so being able to reflect that in the F10 map would be nice.

Need to remind that we already have the option to switch between map coordinates values in editor and in F10 map.

But it is not a simple button click in the GUI but F10 a shortcut LAlt+Y.

We should have these as buttons on main menu bar in map at top and bottom in editor.

But this is like 10th wish thread about this very exact topic at least since 2016. So I don't hold breath that we get it anytime soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fri13 said:

Need to remind that we already have the option to switch between map coordinates values in editor and in F10 map.

But it is not a simple button click in the GUI but F10 a shortcut LAlt+Y.

We should have these as buttons on main menu bar in map at top and bottom in editor.

But this is like 10th wish thread about this very exact topic at least since 2016. So I don't hold breath that we get it anytime soon.

Alt-Y only changes the coordinate values, it does not change the ruler to km's. Something that is useful for instance for the Hip (and soon the Hind) with their doppler systems

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 2

System specs:

13 hours ago, Xilon_x said:

Right, we'll just convert every Western aircraft from WW2 up through 2010 with metric gauges. 

• Like 1