Please make an option to turn these canopy reflections off

iLOVEwindmills

Decided to pick up the 21 again today after not playing it for a long time,

What on earth am I looking at here?

CkOFRRa.jpeg

I can't even tell what is reflecting in the windows here, both the front and the side appear to be reflecting the same objects?

That's not even going into how low res and blurry these reflections are. I thought baked in reflections were the ugliest they had to offer, but this is somehow worse.

I tried to use this mod to remove the reflections but it does not seem to work, is there any way to get rid of this? The plane isn't worth playing like this.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.ru/en/files/3316650/

Edited by iLOVEwindmills
  • Like 9

• iLOVEwindmills changed the title to Please make an option to turn these canopy reflections off

Apparently it's a core game change introduced with 2.7, just affecting the Mig more than the others, and developers don't have full control over it:

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The CE2 reflections are quite harsh too.

Don't judge me! 😉

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

image.png

I've uploaded a file the servers, that controls ED's new reflection shader several weeks ago.

If you guys don't see it in the cockpit shapes folder, it may explain why the reflections are strong still.

• Like 1

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

how do i check this? File name, folder?? I did not notice any improvement on mine.

4 hours ago, -Rudel- said:

image.png

I've uploaded a file the servers, that controls ED's new reflection shader several weeks ago.

If you guys don't see it in the cockpit shapes folder, it may explain why the reflections are strong still.

Mig-21_CP.edm.lua I think, I have that in mine. 

• Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Dont think that made it into OB. Nothing here, and a search on 'Mig-21_CP.edm.lua' gives no result.

In ..\Mods\aircraft\MIG-21bis\Shapes its only the Mig-21_CP.edm file.

Edited by Knock-Knock
  • Like 2

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Ok. Must be from my test than. No worries, it will make it than 🙂

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

I think this might be specific to the English cockpit? Using a custom livery derived from the Russian one and my reflections are nowhere near as severe. Worth testing maybe.

Disregard, it's still there, just not noticing it as much during live gameplay.

Edited by rossmum

• 6 months later...

+1 
It's some kind of sick fetish - to have dirty, possibly most obstructed windshield. Some guys seem to be turned on by dirt. I get it, it's different. One has to understand it. Is it possible to have it as an option somewhere: "I'm turned on by dirt - please make my canopy all dirty and messy" - so the rest of us can turn it off?

Edited by 303_Kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2022 at 10:40 PM, Jenkem Junkie said:

You can add this glass to whatever cockpit to get rid of the dirt and reflections.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319657/

It doesn't work (not for me at least). The other reason is I'm bit afraid of being banned or even accused of cheating.

Edited by 303_Kermit

because it is... 
that the complete lack of global standardization not only on cohesive design outlines in the franchise and the information and whitebox starvation of 3rd party module providers in general and on an arbitrary and preferential, everchanging approach in particular exists does not change the assertion of the fact.
It just contributes to the general assymetry, or chaos, or coherence fissures, or lack of cohesion in the co-viability of suitable assets in the AO, you can call it whatever you want.

Also the reflections themselves actually are highly settings and situationally dependent - so that alone mitigates them actually when taking the reality of how most of the product users "play" this "game" into account.

So just do not bother, at some point this will be suitably fixed by the module provider (they always do, despite their meager ressources, despite the challenges they have to overcome) at least on a module inside-out level.

And btw. reflections happen, always.. in all assets of all generations to this day IRL, and this one as well, anyone trying to ex-post fakevalidate anything else is someone with preferences or a narrative or an agenda at worst, or just a lack of familiarity with the topic or bereft of understanding the wider systemic impacts at best (and we shall assume the best and give the benefit of the doubt).