Ability to unload the mast radar

Stratos

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 12:16 PM, oyen20 said:

the radar won't be available at launch and it probably won't be forced to have it on the apache because most of them didn't use one

Radar functionality won't be available, but the mast itself may be there. It is very heavy and placed on top of the mast. It changes Apache handling significantly. That's the reason why in real life Apache D usually fly without it.

Edited by kseremak
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 5:16 AM, oyen20 said:

the radar won't be available at launch and it probably won't be forced to have it on the apache because most of them didn't use one

yeah, on average, one in four Longbows will carry the radar, and data-link with the others for targeting data.

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Magot said:

Hi all,

@ED

Will be available both verison of the AH-64D?

Will be possible to unmount the radar as an attack version?

Because AH-64D exist in two version:

650_800_image1121937683.JPG

90281873475760.jpg

502163224387914.jpg

It’s the same airframe. Only difference is the installation of a few parts, a few plugs, and boom…FCR is installed. 

• Wags changed the title to Ability to unload the mast radar
  • 3 weeks later...

Considering the radar mast isn't something you just easily add or remove on a farp like weapons and fuel, and requires the techs to climb on top the aircraft in a maintenance hanger, I imagine it'd be a mission editor thing and not an ingame ground crew selection.

• ED Team

Personally, I don't see any reason to restrict it to mission editor. Just as we can almost instantly land and refit our fast jets with full external fuel tanks, targeting pods, and full ammo and expendable countermeasures. Especially on the multiplayer side where people will always want that control over their aircraft config.

I see the Apache FCR in DCS the same way as a TGP. Click it on or click it off, even though both obviously take a LOT more work in real life to install/un-install than just that.

• Like 6

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 4 weeks later...

With the new option to restrict weapons in the ME it would be the best solution to manage it like a TGP on other platforms. This way a mission designer could easily restrict its use when necessary, but it could be added in MP as the user or group wants. For example have two teams of 2 Longbow with one FCR each, or a flight of 4 with one FCR...

• Like 4

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)