Radio operation problem

Shogoun
Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say I'm having an issue with the radio too.

I'm running the standalone version of DCS, latest version of the beta.

I last flew the L-39C a year ago and the radio worked fine then but it doesn't work properly for me now.

Tried on the Cold Start instant action mission

1. Battery on

2. Inverter I and II on

3. Radio on

4. Channel 6 for Beslan

5. Press radio button on throttle

- Communications menu comes up

- Try to contact Beslan ATC for startup

- I don't actually say anything and there's no response from ATC

I've checked that ADF/off radio switch is set to off (default). Volume is turned up (I can hear static if I disable squelch ). Tried it with easy comms on and off. Tried both the button on the throttle, the VHF push to talk hotkey and the easy communications menu key all without success. Also tried to move to the rear cockpit and use the button there.

I've tried fully starting up the plane but it still doesn't work. As soon as I start to taxi however I hear the taxi instructions from ATC. I can also hear the radio chatter from other planes.

I've tried this on a custom mission too starting at sochi-adler and using channel 3 but it's the same issue.

The funny thing is this doesn't occur 100% of the time. I'd say 90-95% of the time it doesn't work but maybe 5% of the time it will work after around 3 attempts at communication.

I asked about this on reddit and one person replied saying they just tried it on their install and it worked as normal for them.

I just tried after uninstalling and reinstalling DCS world and it's still the same problem. I don't have any unofficial mods installed.

L39C-Radio.trk

Edited by Prometheus
Added track file

6 hours ago, Prometheus said:

I asked about this on reddit and one person replied saying they just tried it on their install and it worked as normal for them.

Same here (no issue).

6 hours ago, Prometheus said:

I just tried after uninstalling and reinstalling DCS world and it's still the same problem.

Only thing of note is that your track shows you have Easy Coms enabled in Options>Gameplay (Sometimes requires the coms menu #(\) key to be used instead of push to talk, varies between modules).

Tested in Open Beta 2.7.4.9847

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

14 hours ago, Flappie said:

Please replay my track and see if the "request for startup" is successful when you do.

When I replay your track the request for startup is successful. If I take control at any point though (including after the successful communication) it doesn't work for me and I can't communicate again.

14 hours ago, Ramsay said:

Only thing of note is that your track shows you have Easy Coms enabled in Options>Gameplay (Sometimes requires the coms menu #(\) key to be used instead of push to talk, varies between modules).

I have tried with easy comms both on and off and using the comms menu hotkey and the PTT button (both as a hotkey and clicking the button in the cockpit).

BTW: I have a few other modules too and haven't noticed a problem with any of them.

Edited by Prometheus

• Solution

Please try this:

1. Go to "C:\Users\username\Saved Games\",
  2. Rename "DCS..." into "DCS_backup" (do NOT delete it),
  3. Start DCS and try again (you'll have default settings and default controls).

Once your test is done, you can remove the new "DCS..."  folder and replace it with your backup folder from step 2.

• Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

On 7/26/2021 at 7:28 PM, Flappie said:

Please try this:

Once your test is done, you can remove the new "DCS..."  folder and replace it with your backup folder from step 2.

Hello, sorry I do not master the language of William Shakespeare, it will be through the google translator. To begin, sorry to answer you late, I therefore proceeded to the manipulation that you advised us, indeed it works, on the other hand on my mission it does not work any more, I therefore deduce that it is on my mission it there would be a problem ... Thank you for your intervention

On 7/27/2021 at 3:28 AM, Flappie said:

Please try this:

Oh wow that seems to have fixed it.

After renaming the folder I loaded up DCS. After logging in again I had a default install. I was able to use the radio properly using the cockpit PTT button, the keyboard hotkey and the communications menu hotkey.

I then deleted the new folder and renamed my original DCS.openbeta back to it's original name and then loaded back into DCS. I was back in my usual setup with my usual hotkeys, etc. When loading into the mission I was again able to use the radio normally using cockpit PTT button, keyboard PTT hotkey and communications menu. I have no idea what changed but I'm guessing it reset some setting somewhere that was out of whack.

Also, I just realised I do have SRS radio installed though I didn't have either the server or client app running either before when things weren't working or now when they are. I'm not sure if that's relevant but just thought I'd let you know.

At any rate, thank you very much for your help in getting things working again. If I can send you any files etc to help you work out whether this is a genuine bug or just something messed up on my install please let me know.

@Prometheus
Thanks for your detailed feedback. I have a hard time understanding how it can work with the former folder, since it appears it was the source of your issue, but I'm glad you sorted it out.

@Shogoun
You should check your mission Easy Comms setting. Change it and see if it works.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

6 hours ago, Flappie said:

@Prometheus
Thanks for your detailed feedback. I have a hard time understanding how it can work with the former folder, since it appears it was the source of your issue, but I'm glad you sorted it out.

@Shogoun
You should check your mission Easy Comms setting. Change it and see if it works.

So I proceed as you had advised, about the Save game DCS directory and have rebuilt the mission, practical and fast with the model statics, remains more than reprogram the triggers, but still it works again. Thank-you