Finally acquired a 3080. Time to start new build. CPU suggestions for DCS?

As the title implies, I’ve finally acquired a 3080, so now I’m ready to start my new build.

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions on a CPU for DCS? I play DCS, FS2020, and Assetto Corsa with a Reverb G2, so VR performance is what I’m aiming for here.

I’d also like to future proof somewhat for DCS and be able to utilize Vulkan at an optimal performance level, if that ever happens.

Any opinions on AMD vs. Intel for DCS future proofing? I’m thinking either a 5800x or a 10700k right now, any opinions, or better yet facts, would be greatly appreciated. 

Built a new system 2 months ago and used a 5600X, coupled with a Asus X570-F MoBo, 32gb RAM and a MSI 3070 GPU. After a bit of tweaking - mainly power settings rather than Nvidia or DCS - everything cranked up and all is smooth - hitting between 80 - 120 FPS - though using head tracking as opposed to VR - so not sure how that translates?

Have always used AMD CPUs over Intel - just seem more resilient.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

The one thing that concerns me with going AMD is that the G2 doesn’t play nice with the X570 chipset. I think there may have been a bios update to patch the issue from some mobo manufacturers, but even so, the G2 is a finicky piece of hardware and I’ve already been at my wits end with it in the few months I’ve had it in hand.

I’ll have to do my due diligence if I do decide to go down that road, to ensure that I can avoid that problem in its entirety. 

If I was buying today to build around that GPU I'd probably do a K series Intel CPU just because it has a built in GPU that can be slaved to OBS for recording without affecting FPS.

I have three different machines with DCS installed (10700k, 11700k, 5600x) and from a seat of the pants feel there's not much in it but the 11700k does feel a touch snappier. GPUs are 3070 and 3060 Ti.

Can't really go wrong with any newer CPU. I'd compare single core performance at cpubenchmark.net and buy by cost/availability beyond that.

HTH

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2021 at 12:22 PM, reece146 said:

If I was buying today to build around that GPU I'd probably do a K series Intel CPU just because it has a built in GPU that can be slaved to OBS for recording without affecting FPS.

I have three different machines with DCS installed (10700k, 11700k, 5600x) and from a seat of the pants feel there's not much in it but the 11700k does feel a touch snappier. GPUs are 3070 and 3060 Ti.

Can't really go wrong with any newer CPU. I'd compare single core performance at cpubenchmark.net and buy by cost/availability beyond that.

HTH

5800x vs 11700k.. so Intel is a better choice, similar performance and price but with intel having a gpu that can be slaved to other programs.. not sure maybe some guys have a list of programs that utilize integrated graphics..  

btw how to do slave the igpu to OBS?

Since Windows is stupid, you need to boot with a monitor plugged into the iGPU.

Then the Intel QuickSync drivers will get installed. I usually get the latest Intel drivers from intel.com instead of relying on the ones included in Windows. It probably doesn't really matter though.

Once that is done you can select the QuickSync codec in OBS instead of NVENC for capture.

There's detailed instructions out there with a bit of searching.

Also, anything Adobe will make use of Intel iGPUs as well. IIRC Premiere, Photoshop, and any of the plugins heavily leverage the iGPU if it is available. I'm not a current Adobe hostageware user so take that with a grain of salt.

On 6/12/2021 at 8:34 PM, tasimm said:

As the title implies, I’ve finally acquired a 3080, so now I’m ready to start my new build.

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions on a CPU for DCS? I play DCS, FS2020, and Assetto Corsa with a Reverb G2, so VR performance is what I’m aiming for here.

I’d also like to future proof somewhat for DCS and be able to utilize Vulkan at an optimal performance level, if that ever happens.

Any opinions on AMD vs. Intel for DCS future proofing? I’m thinking either a 5800x or a 10700k right now, any opinions, or better yet facts, would be greatly appreciated. 

All Intel or All AMD, I have a mix for the moment but my next upgrade will be to replace the excellent GTX 1080Ti.

Don't forget to bound your CPU with the best RAM available to Intel CPUs, you' could gain more in performance this way than splashing dosh into liquid cooler and O.C, my tip: B.Die.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.