Question on Lot Number Info

Gwalker99

2 hours ago, Gwalker99 said:

Hi guys.,..  what years was this 'block 20' Hornet... 

does it have the upgraded C series engine?   and where abouts is the avionics setting? like 80's stuff  90's  thanks 🙂

Lot 20 was produced in 1999.
Our hornet does have the EPE engines.

For avionics lot isn't as important as OFP, ours is a mix of a little of everything. Its got some ancient stuff from 1990 aswell as some stuff from 2010s.

• Thanks 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

3 hours ago, Gwalker99 said:

Hi guys.,..  what years was this 'block 20' Hornet... 

Lot 20 is from fall of 1997(Fiscal Year 98). 

does it have the upgraded C series engine?

Yes it has theF404-GE-402 EPE engines - these were introduced already with Lot 15.

...and where abouts is the avionics setting? like 80's stuff  90's  thanks 🙂

With each new Lot came some new features, so the Lot 20(the last full Lot) is the most up-to-date "legacy Hornet" - in addition to that, the DCS Lot 20 has some newer features(like AMPCD, JHMCS and ATFLIR), which were back-fitted as upgrades in 2004-2005.

Here is a list of the F/A-18C lots and new things introduced with them:

Lot 10.
Blocks 23, 24 and 25.

Lot 11.
Blocks 26, 27 and 28.

Lot 12.
Blocks 29, 30 and 31.
The Lot XII series F/A-18, introduced in FY90, provided the
F/A-18 with a night attack capability. This was accomplished by providing NVG compatible
cockpit lighting and displays, a thermal imaging navigation set, digital map set, multipurpose color
displays, and a raster HUD. In addition, an independent aft cockpit capability was included for
the two-seat F/A-18D (USMC) version.

Lot 13.
Blocks 32, 33 and 34.
The Lot XIII series F/A-18 was introduced in FY91. The
enhancements provided by this Lot included the OBOGS, which replaced the lox converter. The
NACES and SEWARS were added and armament capabilities were enhanced through the
additional hardware provisions for AGM-86 Harpoon and AGM-84 Stand-off Land Attack
Missile. The Inertial Navigation System (INS) was also upgraded to the AN/ASN-139 that uses
ring laser gyro technology.

Lot 14.
Blocks 35, 36 and 37.
The Lot XIV series F/A-18 was introduced in FY92. This
update added full AN/ARC-210 HAVEQUICK/SINCGARS VHF FM Radio provisions to the
aircraft and the AN/AAS-38A FLIR/LDT was also incorporated into the F/A-18. Additionally,
the Deployable Flight Incident Recorder Set (DFIRS) provides non-volatile storage of the last 30
minutes of flight incident data in a deployable unit.

Lot 15.
Blocks 38, 39 and 40.
Delivered in FY93, the Lot XV series F/A-18 integrated an
enhanced engine into the airframe. The F404-GE-400 Power Plant was replaced by the F404-
GE-402 EPE. The new engine provided increased power, coupled with reduced fuel
consumption. Additionally, the XN-8 Mission Computer and the 91 series Operational Flight
Program (OFP) were introduced.

Lot 16.
Blocks 41, 42 and 43.
The enhancements provided by the Lot XVI series F/A-18,
which was introduced in FY94, included the integration of the AN/APG-73 Radar Upgrade
(RUG) Phase I. The primary improvements provided by the AN/APG-73 RUG Phase I were
increased Electronic Counter Countermeasures capabilities, increased memory and processing
speed of the signal and data processing functions, and increased receiver bandwidth combining to
provide growth capabilities for incorporation of advanced radar modes. The AN/ARC-210
HAVEQUICK/SINCGARS VHF FM Radio was also installed along with the LAU-115 Launcher
improvements and incorporation of the 09 (formerly 93) series OFP.

Lot 17.
Blocks 44, 45 and 46.
In FY95, the Cockpit Video Recording System (CVRS)
and the AN/AAS-38B Advanced FLIR were introduced. Additionally, there were provisions
added for the GPS.

Lot 18.
Blocks 47, 48 and 49.
Lot XVIII series F/A-18 were delivered in FY96 and
included the GPS, the AN/ALE-47 Countermeasures Dispensing Set, and a sixth avionics
multiplexer bus. Additionally, the 11 series OFP was introduced.

Lot 19. Introduced in FY97, Lot XIX series F/A-18C/D Aircraft
received a Stores Management System upgrade and an AN/APX-111(V) Combined InterrogatorTransponder
(CIT).

Lot 20. In FY98, Lot XX series F/A-18C/D Aircraft were delivered,
integrating the Phase II AN/APG-73 RUG, ATARS, Joint Direct Attack Munitions, Joint Stand
Off Weapon, and EGI to meet the precision navigation capability that future weapon systems
require. EGI provides an all-altitude, worldwide source of navigation and attitude information.

• Thanks 4

• 2 years later...
Il 12/6/2021 at 16:40, Seaeagle ha scritto:

Yes it has theF404-GE-402 EPE engines - these were introduced already with Lot 15.

With each new Lot came some new features, so the Lot 20(the last full Lot) is the most up-to-date "legacy Hornet" - in addition to that, the DCS Lot 20 has some newer features(like AMPCD, JHMCS and ATFLIR), which were back-fitted as upgrades in 2004-2005.

Here is a list of the F/A-18C lots and new things introduced with them:

Lot 10.
Blocks 23, 24 and 25.

Lot 11.
Blocks 26, 27 and 28.

Lot 12.
Blocks 29, 30 and 31.
The Lot XII series F/A-18, introduced in FY90, provided the
F/A-18 with a night attack capability. This was accomplished by providing NVG compatible
cockpit lighting and displays, a thermal imaging navigation set, digital map set, multipurpose color
displays, and a raster HUD. In addition, an independent aft cockpit capability was included for
the two-seat F/A-18D (USMC) version.

Lot 13.
Blocks 32, 33 and 34.
The Lot XIII series F/A-18 was introduced in FY91. The
enhancements provided by this Lot included the OBOGS, which replaced the lox converter. The
NACES and SEWARS were added and armament capabilities were enhanced through the
additional hardware provisions for AGM-86 Harpoon and AGM-84 Stand-off Land Attack
Missile. The Inertial Navigation System (INS) was also upgraded to the AN/ASN-139 that uses
ring laser gyro technology.

Lot 14.
Blocks 35, 36 and 37.
The Lot XIV series F/A-18 was introduced in FY92. This
update added full AN/ARC-210 HAVEQUICK/SINCGARS VHF FM Radio provisions to the
aircraft and the AN/AAS-38A FLIR/LDT was also incorporated into the F/A-18. Additionally,
the Deployable Flight Incident Recorder Set (DFIRS) provides non-volatile storage of the last 30
minutes of flight incident data in a deployable unit.

Lot 15.
Blocks 38, 39 and 40.
Delivered in FY93, the Lot XV series F/A-18 integrated an
enhanced engine into the airframe. The F404-GE-400 Power Plant was replaced by the F404-
GE-402 EPE. The new engine provided increased power, coupled with reduced fuel
consumption. Additionally, the XN-8 Mission Computer and the 91 series Operational Flight
Program (OFP) were introduced.

Lot 16.
Blocks 41, 42 and 43.
The enhancements provided by the Lot XVI series F/A-18,
which was introduced in FY94, included the integration of the AN/APG-73 Radar Upgrade
(RUG) Phase I. The primary improvements provided by the AN/APG-73 RUG Phase I were
increased Electronic Counter Countermeasures capabilities, increased memory and processing
speed of the signal and data processing functions, and increased receiver bandwidth combining to
provide growth capabilities for incorporation of advanced radar modes. The AN/ARC-210
HAVEQUICK/SINCGARS VHF FM Radio was also installed along with the LAU-115 Launcher
improvements and incorporation of the 09 (formerly 93) series OFP.

Lot 17.
Blocks 44, 45 and 46.
In FY95, the Cockpit Video Recording System (CVRS)
and the AN/AAS-38B Advanced FLIR were introduced. Additionally, there were provisions
added for the GPS.

Lot 18.
Blocks 47, 48 and 49.
Lot XVIII series F/A-18 were delivered in FY96 and
included the GPS, the AN/ALE-47 Countermeasures Dispensing Set, and a sixth avionics
multiplexer bus. Additionally, the 11 series OFP was introduced.

Lot 19. Introduced in FY97, Lot XIX series F/A-18C/D Aircraft
received a Stores Management System upgrade and an AN/APX-111(V) Combined InterrogatorTransponder
(CIT).

Lot 20. In FY98, Lot XX series F/A-18C/D Aircraft were delivered,
integrating the Phase II AN/APG-73 RUG, ATARS, Joint Direct Attack Munitions, Joint Stand
Off Weapon, and EGI to meet the precision navigation capability that future weapon systems
require. EGI provides an all-altitude, worldwide source of navigation and attitude information.

Thanks, I was looking for this kind of info.

Do you also know when Hornets recive Link 16?

On 6/12/2021 at 8:40 AM, Seaeagle said:

I have to keep reminding myself the Hornets I watched fly around in '85 were the A model.  Shiny (well, not very shiny) new A models.  Not even A+.  CRT screens.  Briggs and Stratton engines.  Vacuum tubes in the radar. 

Ok, maybe not that old.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 3:38 PM, Mig Fulcrum said:

Thanks, I was looking for this kind of info.

Do you also know when Hornets recive Link 16?

No sorry I don't.

But at the corners of my mind, I seem to remember that  its known as "TADIL J" in US terminology, where TADIL is an abbreviation for "Tactical Digital Information Link" and "J" is the version, which in turn is know as "Link 16" by NATO. 

Its somewhat newer than most people realise - I believe it was introduced in 1997-1998 or so, but when exactly it was implemented specifically on USN Hornets is another matter - probably a few years later.

18 hours ago, Raisuli said:

I have to keep reminding myself the Hornets I watched fly around in '85 were the A model.  Shiny (well, not very shiny) new A models.  Not even A+.  CRT screens.  Briggs and Stratton engines.  Vacuum tubes in the radar. 

Ok, maybe not that old.

Yeah in 1985 the Hornet itself had only just been put into service, so they would have been the very first version. The list of Lots/added features I once posted, doesn't include the A/B version and not even the first couple of C/D Lots, which were really just "digitalised A/Bs - only  new features I remember being the new Up-front control panel and integrated digital engine/fuel panel - the rest was sort of "under the hood".

Mind you, all legacy hornets had CRT displays - from Lot 12("Night Attack" version) and up, the DDIs were updated with NVG compatibility, ability to show text in 3 colors(red, yellow and green) and display imagery(monochrome), while the new MPCD was a full color display.....but stil CRT. It was only with the AMPCD backfitted in 2004(as depicted on the DCS Lot 20), that the Hornet got an LCD based display. The AN/APG-73 is really just a deep modification to the original AN/APG-65, so the basic radar design is the same and IIRC retains several parts such as the antenna and transmitter.

Edited by Seaeagle

6 minutes ago, Seaeagle said:

Yeah in 1985 the Hornet itself had only just been put into service, so they would have been the very first version. The list of Lots/added features I once posted, doesn't include the A/B version and not even the first couple of C/D Lots, which were really just "digitalised A/Bs - only  new features I remember being the new Up-front control panel and integrated digital engine/fuel panel - the rest was sort of "under the hood".

Mind you, all legacy hornets had CRT displays - from Lot 12("Night Attack" version) and up, the DDIs were updated with NVG compatibility, ability to show text in 3 colors(red, yellow and green) and display imagery, while the new MPCD was a full color display.....but stil CRT. It was only with the AMPCD backfitted in 2004(as depicted on the DCS Lot 20), that the Hornet got an LCD based display. The AN/APG-73 is really just a deep modification to the original AN/APG-65, so the basic radar design is the same and IIRC retains several parts such as the antenna and transmitter.

I was part of the Connie's battle group on the first deployment, and we played decoy to keep the Bears away while we were in Yellowstone (the 'Bear Box') because they really wanted to track the new fighter and get a signature for it.  Worked for a while, but of course they eventually found the carrier.  Did plane guard for night ops once or twice, but mostly we were a hundred miles away on the dangerous end of the threat axis.  Most of the flybys were VF-21 and -154, the last two squadrons to transition out of F-4s into F-14s so those were nearly brand new, but VFA-25 and -131 came by to say hello occasionally.  Those were so low-vis it's pretty hard to make out the markings in the hazy air; I think there's one picture where you can make out VFA-131's markings. 

We have livery for the VF-21 aircraft they flew past us once or twice, and I have some good pics of it in flight.  (I was the guy with the big telephoto lens and a motor drive, but film gets expensive!).

So, yeah.  Cool to hear about what was, and how that changed into what is, because it's easy to forget the aircraft we have in DCS is not what I remember flitting about in and around the gulf.

2 ore fa, Seaeagle ha scritto:

No sorry I don't.

But at the corners of my mind, I seem to remember that  its known as "TADIL J" in US terminology, where TADIL is an abbreviation for "Tactical Digital Information Link" and "J" is the version, which in turn is know as "Link 16" by NATO. 

Its somewhat newer than most people realise - I believe it was introduced in 1997-1998 or so, but when exactly it was implemented specifically on USN Hornets is another matter - probably a few years later.

Thanks, i will do some research.

Do you know if Hornets A were able to use Nite Hawk FLIR pods? Because as far as i understand it start to be integrated from C Lot 12 (Night attack)

16 hours ago, Mig Fulcrum said:

Thanks, i will do some research.

Do you know if Hornets A were able to use Nite Hawk FLIR pods? Because as far as i understand it start to be integrated from C Lot 12 (Night attack)

No I don't, but I think you are right.

The first version of the Nite Hawk(AN/AAS-38) was a pure FLIR pod and engaging ground targets with LGBs could only be achieved with an external source(other aircraft equipped with a laser designator or ground units lasing the target) and only if carrying a separate laser dot tracker pod(ASQ-173). So I think this first version of the Nite Hawk is what is referred to as "a thermal imaging navigation set" for the Lot 12 in the Lot/features list.

With the AN/AAS-38A introduced with Lot 14, the Nite Hawk got a built-in laser designator. IIRC it also included a spot tracker for self designation of targets, with the ASQ-173 pod only required for targets designated by an external source.  But I am a little unsure about the last bit - i.e. whether the ASQ-173 was still required - thats what most sources on the interweb say anyway, but then they also seem to think that the AN/AAS-38A was the first version(probably due to the "A" suffix).

The last version introduced with Lot 17, the AN/AAS-38B added some additional features, which IIRC correspond to those of the ATFLIR in DCS - such as improved image resolution, a built-in laser spot tracker(no need for ASQ-173) and an air-to-air mode.

3 hours ago, Seaeagle said:

No I don't, but I think you are right.

The first version of the Nite Hawk(AN/AAS-38) was a pure FLIR pod and engaging ground targets with LGBs could only be achieved with an external source(other aircraft equipped with a laser designator or ground units lasing the target) and only if carrying a separate laser dot tracker pod(ASQ-173). So I think this first version of the Nite Hawk is what is referred to as "a thermal imaging navigation set" for the Lot 12 in the Lot/features list.

With the AN/AAS-38A introduced with Lot 14, the Nite Hawk got a built-in laser designator. IIRC it also included a spot tracker for self designation of targets, with the ASQ-173 pod only required for targets designated by an external source.  But I am a little unsure about the last bit - i.e. whether the ASQ-173 was still required - thats what most sources on the interweb say anyway, but then they also seem to think that the AN/AAS-38A was the first version(probably due to the "A" suffix).

The last version introduced with Lot 17, the AN/AAS-38B added some additional features, which IIRC correspond to those of the ATFLIR in DCS - such as improved image resolution, a built-in laser spot tracker(no need for ASQ-173) and an air-to-air mode.

The AN/AAR-50 was the Thermal Imaging Navigation Set, not Nite Hawk.

The AN/ASQ-173 was purely a laser spot tracking pod (basically the Navy's version of the Pave Penny pod used the A-10).

The baseline AN/AAS-38 was indeed only a FLIR camera for targeting. The -38A added a laser designator, but still had no laser spot detection capability, so Hornets would still use Nite Hawks combined with -173s until the -38B, which added LST.

The original idea of ATFLIR was to combine all three pods into one.

Fun fact: Nite Hawk and TINS pods that were modified for carriage on the Super Hornet were re-labeled as AN/AAS-46 and AN/AAR-55, respectively.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

20 hours ago, Tholozor said:

The AN/AAR-50 was the Thermal Imaging Navigation Set, not Nite Hawk.

Ok thanks. Yes I remember seeing that in the equipment list, but forgot what it was 😄

The AN/ASQ-173 was purely a laser spot tracking pod (basically the Navy's version of the Pave Penny pod used the A-10).

Yeah I know.

The baseline AN/AAS-38 was indeed only a FLIR camera for targeting. The -38A added a laser designator, but still had no laser spot detection capability, so Hornets would still use Nite Hawks combined with -173s until the -38B, which added LST.

Ok that clears up that confusion then. But I could swear that I read in some military documentation that for the -38A the AN/ASQ-173 was only required for a target designated(lased) by an external source.

The original idea of ATFLIR was to combine all three pods into one.

Fun fact: Nite Hawk and TINS pods that were modified for carriage on the Super Hornet were re-labeled as AN/AAS-46 and AN/AAR-55, respectively.

Thanks - I didn't know that.