[DCS ISSUE] Tomcat Freeze Crash Pilot

Burt

As I'm flying other Mods in a mission or even Multiplayer BFM Server, when I switch to Tomcat screen freezes with no crash file. In VR I must go to Task Manager to end Task. I see there is a another thread about the freeze but when changing to Rio so I wanted to post this issue as non Rio freeze with Tomcat. Happens quit often for me but every other mod/game crash has been fixed with latest update/patch. I haven't been freezing while flying and completing the mission just when I restart mission with and only with the Tomcat.  

Thanks.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

5 minutes ago, Burt said:

As I'm flying other Mods in a mission or even Multiplayer BFM Server, when I switch to Tomcat screen freezes with no crash file. In VR I must go to Task Manager to end Task. I see there is a another thread about the freeze but when changing to Rio so I wanted to post this issue as non Rio freeze with Tomcat. Happens quit often for me but every other mod/game crash has been fixed with latest update/patch. I haven't been freezing while flying and completing the mission just when I restart mission with and only with the Tomcat.  

Thanks.

I have been experiencing this as well.  It started ever since the 2.7 patch.  It seems random, was worse until the 2.7 update last week, but still occurs now and then with a Tomcat mission reload.  No crash file and the PC needs to be restarted.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I never have to restart pc I just have to go to task manager and end task which says DCS not responding. It’s definitely a bug. I’m sure it will get fixed… hopefully soon because it’s my main jet.

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

2 hours ago, Donut said:

When it happens for me, I can no longer click on anything with my mouse.

It has been happening for almost two months now...hope to see a fix "soon"

Oh wow! yeah thats bad, I hope so too. Iread they are aware of it so thats a good start. 

Start Date April 2020 

On 6/10/2021 at 6:58 PM, Donut said:

When it happens for me, I can no longer click on anything with my mouse.

That's normal behavior for frozen (non-responding) full screen windows application. Just AltTab or CtrlShftEsc or CtrlAltDel next time. If none of that works then it's the total system freeze - reset is inevitable. But I never had the latter in DCS.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I and all the tomcat players I know, have the same thing. It is very reproducible. Its so well known and an obvious crash I think most people just assumed it would be fixed - Sounds like its not even really widely reported. So I'll add my 

1. Go to multiplayer server
  2. Fly, get shot down, eject, land or otherwise end your flight
  3. re-slot into a tomcat and press "fly"
  4. Repeat this and eventually you will get it to completely lock up. It is only an issue in the tomcat. 
  • Thanks 1

I was in a crowded bfm server last night and was able to squeeze into a arena after waiting several mins. Finally I was fighting with another pilot. I was in the Tomcat and got 2 good fights in and then the 3rd one froze, had to restart DCS - Multiplayer took about 3-5 mins. And tried to get back in that slot but was immediately taken. So frustrating ! I apologized to the pilot that I had a Tomcat Crash/Freeze and he said yeah that’s why he/she doesn’t fly it at the moment until they fix the issue. Is it possible to get a timeframe on when this will be fixed? Because right now it’s NON-RFI 

Edited by Burt

Start Date April 2020 

Wow Huge update! But nothing on the freeze. Has anybody try with the new patch?

Start Date April 2020 

10 hours ago, Burt said:

Wow Huge update! But nothing on the freeze. Has anybody try with the new patch?

Yep, I've tried it with today's patch, and the issue is still occurring for me. My initial spawn into a mission is fine, but if I then choose a new F-14 slot after landing/crashing/whatever, DCS freezes totally. No crash log created at all. 

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Ok so yesterday got the huge update and when DCS finish loading and on the main page I restarted. Then, Went to Mission Editor and created a Syria mission around Cypress Island which is beautiful especially around the cliffs. I had no freeze issues with the Tomcat last night after several quit and fly again attempts. I would say about 5 or 6 times with no issue. I have not tried the other maps/missions that I have been getting the freeze yet but will this evening.

Start Date April 2020 

2 hours ago, Slice313 said:

I experienced this so many times to count, yesterday too, after updating to the last open beta... Hopefully, it gets fixed soon. 😔

I happened to mention this to BigNewy when they were talking about the stable release, and that they had been focusing on crashes. He seemed unaware of it, and asked if HB had been made aware.  

The problem is it crashes un-gracefully so it doesnt kick a log/crash file out. But literally everyone with the tomcat (that I know) gets this multiple times a night, as of ~2 patches ago they introduced it. 

4 hours ago, DoorMouse said:

I happened to mention this to BigNewy when they were talking about the stable release, and that they had been focusing on crashes. He seemed unaware of it, and asked if HB had been made aware.  

The problem is it crashes un-gracefully so it doesnt kick a log/crash file out. But literally everyone with the tomcat (that I know) gets this multiple times a night, as of ~2 patches ago they introduced it. 

Exactly, crashes dont produce logs dump in this case... 

In an even more odd case, i had the freeze with the compatibility mode on one time, but only one time, so it may have been a fluke.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Yeah today is really bad. Like Jester would say when trying to respawn “unable”

Start Date April 2020 

ED is aware (so have we been), and has been working on a fix (and thought to have fixed it for the last patch) since before last patch. You will not see a changelog entry in our changelog for this if it gets fixed, because it is on DCS side, not ours. Why it concerns only the Tomcat (it concerned also other modules before ED's first fix), we do not know, but 100% is not on our side. Our apologies that it is still occurring, we hoped it would be gone with the last patch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• IronMike changed the title to [DCS ISSUE] Tomcat Freeze Crash Pilot

Appreciated it IronMike, they told us weeks ago to bring the issue here to Heatblur so thats good to know now that it is E D's side and hopefully it gets fixed because it's so frustrating especially when its the best Mod in the hanger. 

Cheers !

Start Date April 2020