Portable Controls for DCS 2.7 - Xbox Elite Controller 2 ?? Will it work

Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out if a portable joystick like Xbox Elite Controller 2 work well with DCS.  It looks like it has paddles etc (at the back).  I know there is a youtube video using a normal Xbox 360 controller but this one is different....

Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 | Xbox

Even if it supported which airplanes will it work best on --- will it work well with P51 or F86 or even F16 or M2000C etc  Any thoughts.

I am going on a trip, and I was planning to run DCS on my laptop (it has a Nvidia Card in it)

Thanks,

Edited by spacefox

Specs: i7-5820K - 4.4 Ghz OC, 64GB Ram, RTX 2070 Super, Rift S

4 hours ago, spacefox said:

Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out if a portable joystick like Xbox Elite Controller 2 work well with DCS.  It looks like it has paddles etc (at the back).  I know there is a youtube video using a normal Xbox 360 controller but this one is different....

Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 | Xbox

Even if it supported which airplanes will it work best on --- will it work well with P51 or F86 or even F16 or M2000C etc  Any thoughts.

I am going on a trip, and I was planning to run DCS on my laptop (it has a Nvidia Card in it)

Thanks,

Yeah it will certainly work. I used to fly the F-15 with a Xbox controller before I bought my T16000m. You just have to figure out a control binding that works for you. 

I am not sure on if it will work well on high fidelity modern jets like the F-16 and M2000C tho. Since there are a lot of HOTAS controls you have to bind, I think you will have to use your keyboard as well. But you can certainly fly with a Xbox controller. 

Can you bind an Xbox controller in DCS, though? I think they use their own system and not a standard HID interface like every every other controller. If you can get it to bind, then sure, though there'll be a lot of keyboard usage, and throttle might be a problem.

I flew FC3 planes with an Xbox One controller for just about a month. I watched this video and then edited the buttons to fit my needs. He gives you a very good starting point. 

5 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Can you bind an Xbox controller in DCS, though? I think they use their own system and not a standard HID interface like every every other controller. If you can get it to bind, then sure, though there'll be a lot of keyboard usage, and throttle might be a problem.

It is possible. and the throttle isnt put on an Axis but just the Left and right bumpers. Definitely not accurate increases/decreases but it served its purpose. And yes, DCS sees the Xbox Controller for what it is. I attached my SU25T bindings to this as well

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.06.09 - 09.24.59.77.png

Controller (Xbox One For Windows) {B8EC4DE0-3C29-11e8-8003-444553540000}.diff.lua

2 hours ago, InzaneSK said:

I flew FC3 planes with an Xbox One controller for just about a month. I watched this video and then edited the buttons to fit my needs. He gives you a very good starting point. 

It is possible. and the throttle isnt put on an Axis but just the Left and right bumpers. Definitely not accurate increases/decreases but it served its purpose. And yes, DCS sees the Xbox Controller for what it is. I attached my SU25T bindings to this as well

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.06.09 - 09.24.59.77.png

Controller (Xbox One For Windows) {B8EC4DE0-3C29-11e8-8003-444553540000}.diff.lua 11 kB · 0 downloads

This is Excellent.

I am hoping from what I can tell that this Controller has some cool things vs standard Xbox Wireless Controller.  I will install DCS on the laptop and see what happens.  

Specs: i7-5820K - 4.4 Ghz OC, 64GB Ram, RTX 2070 Super, Rift S

Worst thing about the Elite controller is that it doesn't have a gyro sensor. MS had that back in 1998 with the Sidewinder Freestyle Pro. Flying things with that worked very well and actually was quite fun. But I mainly used it for space sims like Freespace or XWA.

But having a controller for DCS is better than nothing. And when you'd get a stick or HOTAS later, you still have something that you can map things to. Slewing TDCs with the analogue sticks isn't too bad actually, just not a true HOTAS setup.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

without trackir i would give the ps4 controller a try mainly for the gyro. i'm sure there is a way to map the camera movement to it

Edited by despinoza

Ryzen 3700x - 2080ti - 16GB 3200 - 500G SSD - OCULUS RIFT S