June 2021 - I have $600 AUD - Should I buy a Rift S

I know I had to be 'that guy' and it may get moved to the other forum but I gotta ask here.

Spec: i5-11600k, 32GB DDR4-3600 and I had to use my older RTX 2060 for now.

So much information out there but a recent review suggested the Rift S as a good allrounder for this price

Appreciate any advice about the options I have for VR, would only be for DCS and Racing, I dont think I could do FPS in one.

RIFT-S is a good product, im not sure if it or a Quest is the better from that side of the house. I personally wouldn't want to tie it my facebook account... but thats me ... YMMV... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 3090 XC3, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb G2 @ 2836 x 2768
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView

VR Stuff:   My Settings for 3090 and G2  My Settings for 1080ti  Shaders MOD for VR  My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & stable, Patch Status

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

For that price if you go Oculus I would consider the Quest 2, which you can connect to your PC with the Link cable. Or wireless if you have good 5G. Yes it is a hybrid so to speak as it is mainly a stand alone headset, but it can be used for PC-VR and many do successfully. Hard to beat the price as well.

Rift S was a good headset but is end of the line, they will not be making more. Quest 2 has better resolution also than Rift S.

Just be aware, if you go Oculus it will require a Facebook account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | Valve Index|

You may also want to order the better head strap, and a good link cable (Doesn't have to be Oculus official). The default headstrap is apparently not that great.

Enjoy, VR is amazing! And Roomscale is actually easier than Sims, do the initial Oculus "demo" scenes, and also SteamVR's "The Lab".

Do not do FPS with smooth movement, teleporting is fine, standing games are probably the "easiest" to get your VR legs.

Also, VR Sickness is real, especially in FPS, Driving, and Flight Sims. You WILL adjust and get your VR legs so to speak, but fastest way to do so is to take a break as soon as you start to feel a little nauseous. Come back in an hour or so and keep playing. Pushing through the nausea just makes it worse.

(That said, I've never had anyone complain about Nausea in Beatsaber, RoboRecall, or The Lab, and only one person ever complained about it in Dirt Rally, no issues in DCS for short demo flights)

I have the Rift S, and while it's an amazing headset, which just works and is really easy to set-up, it does suffer a bit in the resolution department. Pushing the Pixel Density up, has helped quite a lot, but if I was buying something new (or even used) right now I would go for something with a better native resolution.