So how do I land F-5E in IFR low viz weather with new 2.7 clouds?

Thats when it me, that in low viz weather with new clouds, new low clouds, that I have no clue on how to recover F-5E in IFR weather. TACAN can guide you to the field, but not down to it in IFR. F-5E was used over Vietnam and Thailand, so recovery in bad weather had to be the norm. We dont have military precision approach radar to guide us down. So is VFR landing the best we can do in DCS: F-5E?

Posted (edited)

Although F-5 does not qualify as IFR platform in a modern civilian meaning of this world, you still can perform a non precision approach. System limit for VOR/DME approach is 250 ft, though typical MDA (minimum descent altitude) or OCA (obstacle clearance altitude) for such approaches in real world is usually calculated to be around 500ft above ground or more. Which means you should be able to see the airport no later than when you are at 500ft AGL and you cannot descent further without runway in sight. 

You fly the published approach profile, which gives you certain altitudes at certain distance from the airport, and also includes a chart which gives expected rate of descend and time it takes to fly between fixes at various speeds. Problem is, approach charts are not included in DCS and the airports and navaids in DCS may not match the real world. But you can find the real world approach charts for the airports that exist.

For example here is an approach chart for Kutaisi VOR/DME RWY 07 https://airnav.ge/eaip/2020-09-24-AIRAC/graphics/UGKO-IAC-07-VORy.pdf

And other charts for this airport.

https://airnav.ge/eaip/2020-09-24-AIRAC/html/eAIP/UG-AD-2.UGKO-en-GB.html

Edited by some1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hardware: Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Reverb

On 6/7/2021 at 10:33 AM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

TACAN can guide you to the field, but not down to it in IFR. 

I did have this problem as well and I love flying the F-5 in bad weather since it is very immersive and realistic!

If there are no procedures, I've designed a let down which works with basically all TACAN equipped aircraft/airfields.

tacan_app.jpg

Edited by bbrz
  • Like 5

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

1 hour ago, bbrz said:

I did have this problem as well and I love flying the F-5 in bad weather since it is very immersive and realistic!

If there are no procedures, I've designed a let down which works with basically all TACAN equipped aircraft/airfields.

HI.

Nice one! Thanks for sharing it!

Saludos.

Saca111

• Like 1

TO 1F-5E-1 details instrument approaches with diagrams on pages 2-19 thru 2-22 (TACAN, radar, VOR, and ILS approaches). I know linking manuals is dicey on this forum; not quite sure what the rules are about screenshots from them (probably the same), but a quick google search shows somebody has uploaded it to the DCS user files so it should be pretty easy to find.