Top Gun is not definitive film about F-14 crew training. The best film about that is..

DmitriKozlowsky

I don’t recall anyone saying Top gun was the definitive film about training. 
About as realistic as Backdraft or Space Jam....

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Much of TG was pure Hollywood fiction to pander to the masses.  The compromises drove the tech advisor Pete Pettigrew nuts.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

3 minutes ago, Mower said:

Much of TG was pure Hollywood fiction to pander to the masses.  The compromises drove the tech advisor Pete Pettigrew nuts.

True, Mr Cruise would need a booster seat to see over the canopy rail. 🤣

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

18 minutes ago, G.J.S said:

True, Mr Cruise would need a booster seat to see over the canopy rail. 🤣

I have met TC in person and he is very short.

In TG when he was near KM he was either wearing lifts or in a trench.

Edited by Mower

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

2 minutes ago, Mower said:

I have met TC in person and he is very short.

In TG when he was near KM he was either wearing lifts or in a trench.

Yeah, like when he was jumping on Oprah’s couch - it wasn’t excitement, he was just trying to look her in the eye! 🤣

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

1 hour ago, G.J.S said:

Yeah, like when he was jumping on Oprah’s couch - it wasn’t excitement, he was just trying to look her in the eye! 🤣

I would jab my own eyeballs out with my freshly cut toenails before I watched oprah.  Carry on.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2021 at 12:45 AM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Top Gun is not definitive film about F-14 crew training. The best film about that is "An Officer and a Gentleman". About Navy Aviation Officer Candidate School. Basically , its Initial Entry Basic Military Training, for Naval Aviator officer candidates.  

For the sake of a fun discussion, I'll take the immediate exit ramp and disagree with you here. Top Gun is an excellent training film (for us gamers) and everyone should strive to be like the true hero of the movie, Iceman. 🙂

Edited by Slant

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

Going all serious for a moment but if you want F-14s and real training then I found Speed & Angels quite compelling.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1112756/?ref_=tt_urv

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

21 minutes ago, Slant said:

For the sake of a fun discussion, I'll take the immediate exit ramp and disagree with you here. Top Gun is an excellent training film (for us gamers) and everyone should strive to be like the true hero of the movie, Iceman.

Really? The one who caused Gooses death due to his blind focus on getting kill/point for himself instead of working for a team? True heroes are the instructors for having to deal with those cocky SOBs and of course F-14s that have to suffer carrying them around 🙃.     

39 minutes ago, Golo said:

Really? The one who caused Gooses death due to his blind focus on getting kill/point for himself instead of working for a team? True heroes are the instructors for having to deal with those cocky SOBs and of course F-14s that have to suffer carrying them around 🙃.     

Well, there's a reason why procedure in flat spins is to jettison canopy first, can't really blame Iceman for Maverick's crew not to follow procedure.

And Iceman doesn't have the tendency to leave his wingman alone, either. He keeps his cool, he's a team player. He is the good aviator in that movie. 😄

Edited by Slant

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

I went US Army, got my commission, and got Field Artillery Branch then specialized in Fire Support . Hua!! But if I had the chops and 20/20, not sayin I did, but if I did, went Navy/USMC Aviation, went through Naval Officer Candidate School or NROTC, then Marine Basic School, then Flight School, then Carrier quals in T-45, and got Winged as Naval Aviator. Then if I had grades to be offered  a choice as to what billets were available to me. I don't think  I would have chosen F-14. I would have chosen Marine Aviation Harrier program , and if that was not available then Hornet , and if that was not available then rotary transition. I just don't  like the F-14. Its a very analog old school aircraft. Doesn't really have a HUD. HOTAS is rather pitiful for pilot. Workload is insane for both crew. Difficult aircraft to land , in any weather, moving deck, or shore. Single engine operation is an exercise in counter-spin control. Not a safe aircraft by US standards. The high tech glove for wing root is not really high tech. Its canvas impregnated with various synthetic compounds. A Mach 2+ aircraft with a frigging shelter half tent at wing roots. Sideslip indicator is a peice of string.  No thank you sir. Even towards end of its service life, F-14 never got AIM-120 , never even considered for AIM-9X. Too late, Navy discovered that potentially it could be as good as USAF F-15E in strike role. F-14D++ program which would have  given Tomcat  new engines, digital HOTAS, AIM-120, 9X, glass cockpit, digital AESA radar, and other cosmic goodies was canceled in 1992 or 94. God bless F-14 aviators, God bless maintainers, God bless US Navy, God bless Northrop/Grumman, God speed to all of them. But F-14 is not for me.  Real Gold of US Naval aviation from 1990's to today is F/A-18E/F/G. WOW! What a cosmic jet!

Top Gun has so much great photography. Realism is one thing and should be achievable with the right writers.   I do wish they had gone with embarrassing instead of cool call signs... and that the Maverick would have gotten at least one gun kill in that furball. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

9 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

Going all serious for a moment but if you want F-14s and real training then I found Speed & Angels quite compelling.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1112756/?ref_=tt_urv

Agreed, excellent watch...I have it.