Jump to content

Multiplayer PvE missions, and navigation/flight questions


Recommended Posts

Not sure if this really belongs here or in the mission editor section, as it's a new question that is a bit more out of curiosity.

 

When people run multiplayer servers that are public (or even private ones), do the servers exist in a constant state of activity throughout the time that they are online? 

In other words, are the missions that the owners create somehow designed to constantly provide content?   Or do they eventually need to be reset if there is no PvP involved (meaning that if it was a PvE server, there would eventually be nothing left to shoot/bomb)?

 

Regarding navigation:  I have watched a few really detailed videos regarding instrument navigation, but I've noticed a couple things regarding flight without waypoints (well, for me, even with).

One, It feels un-naturally long even at a 30 degree wing angle to make a full 180 degree turn.  Not that this is something that can be changed, as I'm sure it's that way in real life, I'm just really surprised at how long it takes!  Given, I'm not pulling the stick back like it's an ejection pull, but I was not expecting it for sure.   This leads to the next question:  While I can use the heading/compass to determine how much I need to turn, the one area I'm really struggling with is knowing how far *forward in the original direction I'm going to go while making a turn to a new heading.

 

Example, if I'm heading due North, and the landing strip is to the North west, how do I know when to start the turn to the West to line up with the runway (assuming no waypoints)?  Is it possible to do this with no waypoints *and* by instrument only (if visibility is very low)?

 

Last question I have regarding nav/flight:  I'm still learning to use the trim (thank you to everyone who answered my questions about that), but when I'm actually using the stick to fly the plane (even if trimmed right) the A-10A seems "squirrely".   Is there a way for me to determine whether or not it is my lack of skill (be it just with flying and/or with trim) vs. the settings for the analog stick on my X-box controller (or the fact that I'm using a controller at all)?   I have it tuned with a small dead space and the Curve set to about 20.   Currently I don't think I would be able to fly in any official formation for more than half a minute if said formation needed to make a turn of any sort.

 

Natural to someone new?  Equipment?  Both?

 

Also, if there are any videos/tutorials specifically on understanding how to go from a holding pattern and make turns such that you're mostly lined up with the runway both using visual approach and instrument only, I would appreciate it (real life tutorials are fine, as the same mechanics would apply to DCS).

Oh, and one more..   Is it normal to be really good at glide slope when landing right up until you are about 10feet off the runway and then have everything go wrong?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NeuralBlankes said:

When people run multiplayer servers that are public (or even private ones), do the servers exist in a constant state of activity throughout the time that they are online? 

In other words, are the missions that the owners create somehow designed to constantly provide content?   Or do they eventually need to be reset if there is no PvP involved (meaning that if it was a PvE server, there would eventually be nothing left to shoot/bomb)?

 

That will depend on how good the owner created the content and the triggers that make the content appear on the map depending on the situation. If there is really nothing to shoot/bomb a reset is mandatory or it would be lifeless. Also, servers might get a reset/restart but the actual content that was left in a certain state before the restart, stay in that state after the restart so the overall playground stays the same after the restart happened.

 

 

10 hours ago, NeuralBlankes said:

Last question I have regarding nav/flight:  I'm still learning to use the trim (thank you to everyone who answered my questions about that), but when I'm actually using the stick to fly the plane (even if trimmed right) the A-10A seems "squirrely".   Is there a way for me to determine whether or not it is my lack of skill (be it just with flying and/or with trim) vs. the settings for the analog stick on my X-box controller (or the fact that I'm using a controller at all)?   I have it tuned with a small dead space and the Curve set to about 20.   Currently I don't think I would be able to fly in any official formation for more than half a minute if said formation needed to make a turn of any sort.

 

So you fly with an X-box controller which makes things just more difficult because the "stick" is so tiny. Even the smallest movement will result in quite a big input compared to real HOTAS or even those who fly with an extension on the stick. You can move only a few mm which results in big input already while someone who uses a stick with a large extension can move the stick 300mm in each direction for the same input. I will not say that it isn't possible to get really good at flying with such a tiny little stick but you really really have to be real real smooth to have the same control as someone with a HOTAS.

Personally, flying with a deadzone makes things more complicate because you have to move out of the deadzone before there is any input. A deadzone should only be there when you have centering problems.

   

 

10 hours ago, NeuralBlankes said:

Oh, and one more..   Is it normal to be really good at glide slope when landing right up until you are about 10feet off the runway and then have everything go wrong?

 

No..., it's just you 🙂

 

 

Win10 Pro 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, AsRock Extreme4, ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC 11GB, 32 GB DDR3 G.Skill 2400. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, Oculus Rift S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

No..., it's just you 🙂

 

 

Can I blame the X-box stick?   I think I should blame the X-box stick.

I'm getting better, actually had a decent landing last night, but I have to say I'm a bit annoyed that my suspicions about the analog stick were correct.   I'll get a flight stick eventually (assuming they don't keep up with an exponential rise in price due to availability).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NeuralBlankes said:

Can I blame the X-box stick?   I think I should blame the X-box stick.

 

Sure you can... 🙂

Win10 Pro 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, AsRock Extreme4, ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC 11GB, 32 GB DDR3 G.Skill 2400. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, Oculus Rift S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can use a simple calculator like this to see what your turn radius would be for a given speed and bank angle: http://www.aviationwebdevelopment.com/samples/rateandradiusofturncalculator.aspx

 

It's usually a good idea to have a general concept of how much distance and time it'll take you to make a turn at the normal cruise airspeed for whatever aircraft you're flying. Typically, beginning your turn 1-3 miles before a waypoint will put you in the right place if you're doing a bank turn. Of course, you can always turn tighter doing a break turn, but you'll loose speed or fuel doing it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many PvE servers use dynamic missions and targets meaning they're created reandomly just when there are players involved so you can't destroy everything once and for all as new targets will be created.

 

If you don't have waypoint in the approach fix you use HSI with TACAN or just course/range info. Ex. you fly north. Your runway 09 is 10nm northeast. You fly straight until you're about to hit course line and turn right when the TACAN mark for the airfield is on bearing about 85. You should end up on course 090 lined up with the runway 09. How far is either made by feel (you'll get to it) or making calculations. Landing tutorials usually show this for particular aircraft and approach.

 

Typical VFR landing plus overhead pattern:

 

And about being good at glideslope... question is are you set up already? Meaning is your AoA/speed correct, gears down, flaps extended and trimmed? Most aircraft needs to flare just before touchdown. Depending on how precise you're here you can end up back up in the air, destroy the gears, tail hit or anything in between. Somewhere there lies the perfect smooth landing - you'll get to it 🙂

🖥️ i3-10100F 3.6-4.3GHz, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX970 4GB, SSD SATA3, 27" LCD FullHD, Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS, customTiR   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B   🌍 NTTR, PG   🚢 Supercarrier

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...