I'm just curious, when flying the F-14, what's that constant sound I can hear that sounds like the whistling sirens of some distant ghostly ice cream vans? Is it just the sounds of the Tomcat engines? I don't hear anything like it in any other aircraft, it's very unique.

i7-3770 CPU, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Sapphire AMD Radeon 5700 XT, Oculus Rift S

Might be the same thing...

• Like 1

🖥️ i3-10100F 3.6-4.3GHz, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX970 4GB, SSD SATA3, 27" LCD FullHD, Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS, customTiR   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B   🌍 NTTR, PG   🚢 Supercarrier

Yes, I think it's the same thing. I did a search of the forum before posting but didn't spot this. At least I know other people are hearing it and it's not just me imagining ghosts in the machine.

i7-3770 CPU, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Sapphire AMD Radeon 5700 XT, Oculus Rift S

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2021 at 5:03 PM, AlpineGTA said:

I'm just curious, when flying the F-14, what's that constant sound I can hear that sounds like the whistling sirens of some distant ghostly ice cream vans? Is it just the sounds of the Tomcat engines? I don't hear anything like it in any other aircraft, it's very unique.

Which model? A or B? They sound very different. And also, a short clip might help. I find that audio discussions are very different/difficult because people hear very differently. And while we can all talk for days about our visual impressions and have the vocabulary for that, humans tend to have a really difficult time talking about complicated soundscapes. Took me three guys and hours of explanations to find someone that realised I was talking about the external sounds being overlaid by... what I could only describe as "the distant flyby growling sound at altitude, high subsonic speeds that shouldn't exist when idling on the ground". It's fixed now, so don't go looking for it. Hehe...

People just didn't pick up on that and had no idea what I meant, cos they were focusing on a different part of the complex soundscape. So, again, a short clip would go a long way to understanding you. 🙂

Edited by Slant

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

@Slant in the other thread you have exact sound files mentioned, so you can play it for yourself.

And I happen to remember what it was - that idle sound on the ground 🙂 You gave good enough explanation.

🖥️ i3-10100F 3.6-4.3GHz, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX970 4GB, SSD SATA3, 27" LCD FullHD, Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS, customTiR   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B   🌍 NTTR, PG   🚢 Supercarrier