VFR airfield overhead pattern landing question

Double Dutch

hi,

I am doing the VFR airfield overhead pattern landing, I set the TCN, fly in, I press Cage. I do my turns. Ok, being a newby my approach is one where I can be proud off... but I land.

However I never get the end speech with well done, mission successful. I guess I am missing something. What besides setting the TCN, Press Cage and land do you have to do?

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

Nope, def. used my flaps/gear, didn't need to use my speedbreak. Did the same as the straight in landing, only with a circle following the green brackets

Could that be it?

-----

2 hours ago, Cruizzzzer said:

I am not really sure what the problem is...

Maybe you have a look in the manual I made. There the VFR overhead pattern is pretty thorougly discussed (p51ff)

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3316679/

Greets

Awesome manual, but it doesn't tell me what I did wrong.

If you press 'Cage' how is that displayed on the hud that you caged and what does it do in case of a landing?

-----

Are you flying a trainingsmission and trying to complete it successfully?

Well, cage/uncage feature cages and uncages the HUD during a crosswind landing. While you are having a strong crosswind the HUD will be pretty offset to the right or left according to the crosswind component. In order to center the HUD (for better view) you will be able to cage it...

Are you flying on-speed AOA, i.e. "E-bracket" is aligned and the AOA indicator ONLY shows the "donut"?

57 minutes ago, Double Dutch said:

Awesome manual

and thanks! 😉

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cruizzzzer said:

Are you flying a trainingsmission and trying to complete it successfully?

Well, cage/uncage feature cages and uncages the HUD during a crosswind landing. While you are having a strong crosswind the HUD will be pretty offset to the right or left according to the crosswind component. In order to center the HUD (for better view) you will be able to cage it...

Are you flying on-speed AOA, i.e. "E-bracket" is aligned and the AOA indicator ONLY shows the "donut"?

and thanks! 😉

Yes I am flying the second training mission, once around the airfield at about 600R height and then land. 

Thanks for the cage information, I will check that it is on while I do my turns 🙂, then the HUD should stay more visible.

I do the TCN settings, round the airfield, am successful in landing, but for some reason DCS doesn't think so. I don't hear the guy say mission completed or something along that line like I did hear in the first straight in landing.

But like the straight in, I will keep practising till it feels easy.

You know what they say:

Don't practise till you got it right

Practise till you don't do it wrong 🙂

-----

Easy way to practice AOA flying...

Go to the mission "free flight" for example.

Go straight and level.

Gear down, flaps full.

Reduce thrust, so speed comes back.

now...

use only TRIM to reach on-speed AOA. if you get up the FCS page on the right DDI you want to reach an AOA of 7.8 to 8.1. The "E-bracket" in the HUD will give the exact value; have it aligned with the velocity vector.

Don't use the stick to climb or descend. This will be done ONLY by ADDING or REDUCING power. If you are using the stick, you will change your AOA, and this is what you don't want.

Just don't fight the controls!

Edited by Cruizzzzer

14 minutes ago, Cruizzzzer said:

use only TRIM to reach on-speed AOA. if you get up the FCS page on the right DDI you want to reach an AOA of 7.8 to 8.1. The "E-bracket" in the HUD will give the exact value; have it aligned with the velocity vector.

Don't use the stick to climb or descend. This will be done ONLY by ADDING or REDUCING power. If you are using the stick, you will change your AOA, and this is what you don't want.

Exactly. Here's a good video tutorial, if you still have troubles maintaining AOA @Double Dutch:

• Like 1

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

37 minutes ago, AstonMartinDBS said:

Exactly. Here's a good video tutorial, if you still have troubles maintaining AOA @Double Dutch:

Awesome video (added it to my youtube F/A-18C folder)... immediately inspired me to change my HOTAS. I now have a 4 way buttons with View, but since I use trackIR I am going to reconfig it for trim nose along the vertical axis and rudder horizontal. Press will be trim reset.

What I have to figure out is when to use trim and when to use throttle to do this. As I see it his speed is about 135 knts and then he corrects with trim to align the E bracket.

Back to training 1 and try to land without touching my stick. 🙂 🙂 🙂 already looking forward to this!!

Edited by Double Dutch
  • Like 1

-----

yep, excellent video!

just go to a mission where time is no factor and don't rush things.

and don't do too many things at once, until you are comfortable with this.

so, reduce power (maybe only half at first), then trim and so on. think of it like you want to trim the velocity vector INTO the e-bracket, thus e.g. e-bracket above the vv --> trim nose up 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Double Dutch said:

Awesome video (added it to my youtube F/A-18C folder)... immediately inspired me to change my HOTAS. I now have a 4 way buttons with View, but since I use trackIR I am going to reconfig it for trim nose along the vertical axis and rudder horizontal. Press will be trim reset.

What I have to figure out is when to use trim and when to use throttle to do this. As I see it his speed is about 135 knts and then he corrects with trim to align the E bracket.

Back to training 1 and try to land without touching my stick. 🙂 🙂 🙂 already looking forward to this!!

I have my trim 4 way set to pitch and roll (ailerons) rather than pitch and yaw (rudder). Pitch trim sets the VV in the 'E' bracket and that is all it does. BTW you can use one of the carrier missions to practice a straight in landing. Just don't bother w/ the radio coms or anything other than your flying. The icls really helps to let you know how you are doing. I did 100s of straight in carrier traps before I tried doing a pattern trap or a pattern field landing. If you are doing a straight in approach, you have to be careful you don't trim too soon. As you are dropping speed, gear down at just under 250, and flaps down at about 180. If you drop flaps above 180 you will gain altitude. Once gear and flaps are down you can start to bring in some up trim to get centered in the 'E' but don't bring in too much trim too fast or you will go above glide slope. Once on AOA w/ 'E' centered, throttle controls altitude/glide slope but stick controls left/right lineup w/ the runway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Double Dutch said:

What I have to figure out is when to use trim and when to use throttle to do this.

First of all you should focus on maintaining to setup for correct AOA (bring your A/C "on speed"), then you simply adjust your altitude/glidepath with your throttle exclusively, which requires constant inputs/corrections. Observe the throttle indicator in the linked tutorial - it's nearly permanent in motion.

1 hour ago, CBStu said:

As I see it his speed is about 135 knts and then he corrects with trim to align the E bracket.

Don't care about the IAS as long as you're "on speed" and at correct altitude/glidepath. IAS during "on speed" phase differs depending on several factors (A/C weight for instance) and can be ignored.

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H