How do you AAR at pitch black night

Posted (edited)

And I mean like, no moon + thick cloud layers. I managed to do it by really cranking up the NVG gain but once I'm in close, its very difficult to stay in position due to the glare of the tanker's formation lights and the poor resolution + dim outline of the tanker through the NVGs. Tried to take them off, but the formation lights did not illuminate enough of the tanker to get an effective reference. 

Just wanted to see if anyone else did something differently or has a tip i'm not aware of. 

Edited by WelshZeCorgi
Posted (edited)

I AAR'd with NVGs no problem in the Harrier. Just turned the gain down until the lights weren't distracting. They're for actual darkness, full moon or a light in your face, you have to turn the gain down.

Edited by Mars Exulte
Spoiler

tumblr_inline_mpv4v0zasI1rg41uj.gif

The troll formerly known as Zhukov

Very carefully… I wonder if IRL the tanker keeps is lights off until you’re that close. I used the ACM mode on the radar but I’m sure that’s not polite in real life either. 

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5