It wasn't that hard

brettt777

So, I've always heard about how hard the Tomcat is to land, especially on a carrier. Even back in the day when I was on carriers with Tomcats. Well, I finally decided to try it today. Now, it was during the day with clear skies and completely calm seas. But I did have the flight model on simulation and I  nailed the three wire the first time, without using the ILS. I gotta say I was pretty impressed with myself LOL

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

:joystick::pilotfly:

Hi.

Indeed, when I first tried the F-14 on carrier landings I found it waaaayyy easier than the F/A-18. To me the Hornet is a nightmare to land, specially to keep it "on speed", and the trim is making me bounce all over the place with the smallest power adjustment.

Saludos

Saca111

On 6/2/2021 at 9:24 AM, brettt777 said:

So, I've always heard about how hard the Tomcat is to land, especially on a carrier. Even back in the day when I was on carriers with Tomcats. Well, I finally decided to try it today. Now, it was during the day with clear skies and completely calm seas. But I did have the flight model on simulation and I  nailed the three wire the first time, without using the ILS. I gotta say I was pretty impressed with myself LOL

Make sure your have a wind over deck (headwind + carrier speed) of about 25 knots, that will help you. I find it very difficult to get the geometry right on public servers that don't set the carrier up correctly. A little crosswind is fine, but I feel like 10 knots crosswind is excessive... 🙂

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

Am 2.6.2021 um 11:18 schrieb Sacarino111:

Hi.

Indeed, when I first tried the F-14 on carrier landings I found it waaaayyy easier than the F/A-18. To me the Hornet is a nightmare to land, specially to keep it "on speed", and the trim is making me bounce all over the place with the smallest power adjustment.

Saludos

Saca111

Guess you havn't watched a proper tutorial about how to land the hornet. Keeping it on speed is easier than in any other plane because the computer does it for you. Just make sure to never push or pull the stick once you trimmed the desired AoA. For further explanation: