Question for the game Devs: AMD FSR support

No idea how to show this to the Devs.

I've read that Vulkan will eventually happen.  I just saw this video about AMD FSR(their version of DLS I guess) This sounds interesting as they say it will work with previous gen cards and Nvidia cards.

If it works and is worth while, I wonder if it could help players with older hardware?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UoghWAZ_L0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMzjs85pUh4

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NoCoolName66 said:

No idea how to show this to the Devs.

I would expect people doing this professionally aren't relying on forum posts to hear of developments in their field of employment. That said, wishlist is probably the place to put it, although there's already one over there.

I've read that Vulkan will eventually happen.  I just saw this video about AMD FSR(their version of DLS I guess) This sounds interesting as they say it will work with previous gen cards and Nvidia cards.

Offhand, I'd say most likely Vulkan doesn't necessarily equal inclusion of other features. That said, if it's open source (which as I understand is one of the hiccups with Nvidias solution) that makes it somewhat less of an issue. Implementing brand new concepts isn't a priority in most any development process, though, so I wouldn't hold my breath on it happening next week just because of a flashy sales brochure cherry picked to sound more awesomer.

If it works and is worth while, I wonder if it could help players with older hardware?

DLSS and FSR are basically adaptive anti-aliasing. So in that respect, it's a compromise between no antialiasing (performance) vs FSAA (quality), yielding better performance than FSAA but worse quality. That's ultimately all there is to it, nothing particularly revolutionary about either technology despite the ardent claims of their advertisers, just like the 2000 series GPUs never came near ''50% faster!!!1!''.

Edited by Mars Exulte
Spoiler

tumblr_inline_mpv4v0zasI1rg41uj.gif

The troll formerly known as Zhukov

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the response.

Sorry if I gave the impression that I was expecting implementation right away, not my intent. I was just very interested in letting people know about this as I very much like the idea that the AMD version will hopefully help older cards.

I look forward to the day that I can replace my current system for reasonable prices, Dream on I know.

Edited by NoCoolName66
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, NoCoolName66 said:

Thanks for the response.

Sorry if I gave the impression that I was expecting implementation right away, not my intent.

I wasn't meaning anything harsh either. It is very common for people to rush to the forums with each new tech announcement though 😛

I was just very interested in letting people know about this as I very much like the idea that the AMD version will hopefully help older cards.

Nvidia takes the proprietary route too much and it bites them in the ass, as far as I can see. They did that with Gsync, sounds like they did it with DLSS, and ray tracing too probably. Then sooner or later (usually sooner) somebody (AMD) comes up with a similar solution that's NOT behind a paywall, and drives their market down. Imo, they suffer from ''I'm too big to fail'' mentality that recently burned Intel.

I look forward to the day that I can replace my current system for reasonable prices, Dream on I know.

Me, too........ me, too....

tenor.gif

• Like 2
Spoiler

tumblr_inline_mpv4v0zasI1rg41uj.gif

The troll formerly known as Zhukov

Release date is 22nd June, I hope it will support my 1080Ti...

MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX 7B86vHB1(Beta version) BIOS, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 CL14, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS. My G2 is DEAD, I'll get VR again when headsets will be better.

M-2000C. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. MiG-29 "Fulcrum". 

Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes.