Virpil VPC Mongoos T-50 CM3 Throttle Problem

Ben27603

Curious if anyone else has had problems with the Virpil throttle.

Here is what I see:
1. One day - fine, no problem.

2. One day all lights B1-B6 - all Yellow (random, at MODE-1 not programmed, see photo). Throttles RX, RY, RZ work, nothing else (no other switches T1-T7, throttle switches, etc) works. X, Y, Z levers do not work.

3. Next day - all B1-B6 modes dark. No other switches work. (Normally MODE-1 is dark, MODE-2 Blue, MODE-3 Green, MODE-4 Red, MODE-5 Yellow) No other switches work RX,RY, RZ work. But RX, RY, RZ, are at an extreme reduced range of throttle movement - the physical throttles are good, but the virtual throttles have 50% of their range and require extreme tuning to work.

4. Same day, B1-B6 and other switches working again. Same day, all switches out. Same day, they work again.

As of today I went through 3-4 cycles of working/not-working in the space of 45 minutes.

It's a pattern of on-off-on-off-on-off. Very strange.

I am sending help requests to Virpil, but have been slower than usual to respond during the week due to my job. I am hoping someone on here has experienced the same and has the solution directly or what Virpil did.

I am thinking problem is either cord (fairly easy to fix) or circuit board (a little more work, but need the board).

(YES I HAVE TRIED : Resetting/reloading the Firmware, several times.)

Thanks!
Ben
null

image.jpeg

Edited by Ben27603

If you're asking for help , you might consider making the post more readable .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

4 hours ago, Ben27603 said:
Curious if anyone else has had problems with the Virpil throttle.

Here is what I see:
1. One day - fine, no problem.

2. One day all lights B1-B6 - all Yellow (random, at MODE-1 not programmed, see photo). Throttles RX, RY, RZ work, nothing else (no other switches T1-T7, throttle switches, etc) works. X, Y, Z levers do not work.

3. Next day - all B1-B6 modes dark. No other switches work. (Normally MODE-1 is dark, MODE-2 Blue, MODE-3 Green, MODE-4 Red, MODE-5 Yellow) No other switches work RX,RY, RZ work. But RX, RY, RZ, are at an extreme reduced range of throttle movement - the physical throttles are good, but the virtual throttles have 50% of their range and require extreme tuning to work.

4. Same day, B1-B6 and other switches working again. Same day, all switches out. Same day, they work again.

As of today I went through 3-4 cycles of working/not-working in the space of 45 minutes.

It's a pattern of on-off-on-off-on-off. Very strange.

I am sending help requests to Virpil, but have been slower than usual to respond during the week due to my job. I am hoping someone on here has experienced the same and has the solution directly or what Virpil did.

I am thinking problem is either cord (fairly easy to fix) or circuit board (a little more work, but need the board).

(YES I HAVE TRIED : Resetting/reloading the Firmware, several times.)

Thanks!
Ben
null

Hi,

I had similar behaviour, I used a powered usb hub. When i stopped using that and plugged everything directly in my pc it worked like a charm.

usb hub was sitecom, not some alibaba thing

• Thanks 1

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

I had similar issues.

Try to use another usb port (preferable USB 2.0) and skip any hubs.

If the error remains - it's a problem with the virpil throttle, if not, it's a problem with usb.

Since the introduction of USB 3.0 it sadly isn't anywhere near as reliable as it used to be....

Oh, and disable the hotplug feature in the settings!

Edited by Hiob
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

OK. So this took some time. Mostly for trying different options.

1. I reconnected away from my hub directly to to computer. I do not know if it was USB 2.0 or 3.0. Computer is under desk and I was crawling around, a bit desperate, to be honest.
  2. Still kind of defective - so I did the full recalibration and saved it to my profile.
  3. Seems to have been successful.

I think there is some drop in power through the hub and possibly different USB revisions.

I've used the throttle for about 10 minutes now. So not much time so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry/delay - Yes. Work kept me from really exploring the throttle function in the last two weeks. Virpil sent cables.

1. Replaced left throttle cable. Worked better, but not precisely.
  2. Calibrated fully last night and logged onto DCS.
  3. Throttle seems to work okay. But when it was not working I re-set some of my key-bindings and now need to re-set them for the throttle again.

They sent two cables so I will likely do the right one as well.

2 hours ago, Ben27603 said:

Sorry/delay - Yes. Work kept me from really exploring the throttle function in the last two weeks. Virpil sent cables.

1. Replaced left throttle cable. Worked better, but not precisely.
  2. Calibrated fully last night and logged onto DCS.
  3. Throttle seems to work okay. But when it was not working I re-set some of my key-bindings and now need to re-set them for the throttle again.

They sent two cables so I will likely do the right one as well.

Did they send you the sleeves for the cables?  I brought it their attention when I got my cable replacements without them. They later sent them to me.

Yes, they did provide the sleeves. From this, I think I will install the 2nd of 2 because I suspect the rubbing (without sleeve) damaged the first cable leading to the problem. Plus, feel better for assurance against further issues.

• 1 month later...

I just started having similar issues today. From reading this, it sounds like I have cable issues too — glad to actually hear it’s from the cables likely getting damaged from the throttle and not something more serious like a circuit board problem. 

I was playing Star Citizen so there’s a lot of back and forth movement on the throttle.

10 hours ago, weaselgx said:

I just started having similar issues today. From reading this, it sounds like I have cable issues too — glad to actually hear it’s from the cables likely getting damaged from the throttle and not something more serious like a circuit board problem. 

I was playing Star Citizen so there’s a lot of back and forth movement on the throttle.

Are you getting any reds in the circled area when you move the throttles?  In my case, it was the right throttle that needed a cable replacement.

InkedVPC Configuration Tool Screenshot_LI.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

If it helps anyone else;

A few of us have had this happen. On the two throttles I've looked at, it was the (cabling between the base and throttle grips) connector not being fully seated in the throttle grip, probably worked it's way out from vibration.

If the throttle can't find a grip, all buttons seem to get disabled (and show yellow on the 6 LEDs). You can get the remaining buttons to work by disabling the faulty grip (until Virpil get you fixed) using the config software.

However, doing so will re-order the physical / logical button mappings in the virpil config software (possibly affecting the 6 LEDs) and you may need to temporarily re map buttons in DCS until the missing buttons are working again. In other words, if physical buttons 15-25 are missing, buttons 26 and upward will move down to fill the place of 15-25 within the config software (at least i think this is what's happening) therefore some of the mappings will appear messed up in DCS