F/A-18C Hornet Flight Manual (chapter_1) REV18012022

Cruizzzzer

Hey everyone!

Last time I was flying with my mates, they urged me to make my "F/A-18C Hornet Manual" available for the DCS public.

This was never my intention, when I first started this manual about 1 1/2 years ago, and until now I was pretty reluctant (and maybe still am) making it public.

First it was meant to be pure checklist, leading you through all stages of flight, starting from a "cold & dark", starting up engines, taxi out, taking off, cruise, until landing and shutdown.

Later on I found I was not familiar with other systems and all the stuff that the hornet offers.

So the manual got bigger until I had to cut it down again to fit in the kneeboard so it is useful during flight.

Now, the manual (pdf) is build in such a way, that it is meant to read with two pages side-by-side set up in the pdf-reader.

Background is chosen to be used in both day and night ops.

I just uploaded the pdf in the user files section: (kneeboard will follow)

F/A-18C Hornet Checklist (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

Maybe it is useful to you.

Special thanks to "Pokeraccio" and "Minsky" who gave me the permission to make my manual public, as I used they great work in the manual.

THANKS AGAIN TO YOU BOTH!

Lastly, I always try to be as thorough as possible writing down all the infos, but surely there will be mistakes or certain things missing.

If you find any mistakes just let me know.

Maybe this manual helps you in certain situations...

Greets...

cruizzzzer

image.png

Edited by Cruizzzzer
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 8

In the manual itself you might come across the "CASE II / III marshal consideration"...

Where it says "AOB = standard rate turns = tas/10 +7; AOB max 25°" it only refers to the reversal turn passing the fix for the outbound leg. This is only an "airliners thing" as this will give you a standard rate turn of 3° per second.

Of course you can pull g's like hell and do all the crazy things with the hornet if you need to reach the fix at the EAT to start the approach...

20 minutes ago, HILOK said:

in the meantime it got uploaded 😉

...and WOW, incredibly good work! perhaps you should apply at ED, i mean stuff like this HSI synopsis here is just insanely good 😁

05C0A9FE-6170-4C77-9E71-D3757B07A19E.jpeg

Kneeboard version isn't available for the moment.

Very good job 👍

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

Thanks to all for the kind words!

Appreciate it!

Though found some errors in pdf which I am correcting just right now. Upload will follow today. Version number is indicated in the lower left corner by e.g. "REV 30052021"...

Just renamed the "F/A-18C Checklist" to "F/A-18C Flight Manual [chapter-1]", as chapter-2 will follow, on which I am also working right now.

But need to say, that "chapter-2" is a bit "insane". It's a bit more of "educational" use.

And yeah... kneeboard shows still "not active". It's gonna take some more time for ED to release it...

Just for info:

Just updated the pdf to version 30052021

Greets!

REVISION RECORD:

1. front page

2. index page reformatted

3. deck personnel added

4. page 50; HSI radial errors corrected; DOL = "Distance of Lead" added to clarify abbreviation

5. ENG START: notes added (page 13)

Edited by Cruizzzzer
  • Like 3

This is excellent! Looking forward to more info. Thanks!

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

Thanks Bulldog!

Right now I am working on chapter 2. Reformatting pages and adding each index to jump easily to the according chapters and key words.

HILOK pointed out the HSI display and everyday I am fascinated in what depth the hornet is modelled.

Just lately I stumbled across the display of the "XTRK distance" on the HSI indicated by "xx.xC" which either I never saw before, or was patched in and I just didn't notice.

Many of you will be aware of what "XTRK distance" distance means, but for those who aren't:

When  you dial in a TCN with the according radial, the XTRK distance shows how far away you are at the moment from the dialed in radial, so it is the offset distance from that radial. This info gets useful when you are flying e.g. a CASE III.

While you are flying perpendicular to intercept the radial, you just watch the XTRK distance decrease.

Now, when do I turn in?

Here comes "DISTANCE OF LEAD" which is a function of the turn radius. Turn radius is defined as 1/2% of the ground speed. Now keep it simple: you are flying about 360kts of ground speed, meaning your turn radius is 1.8NM. This applies to every aircraft: B747, A380, paraglider, whatever...

So, when you hit 1.8NM XTRK distance just turn inbound the radial, and you will be perfectly aligned on the radial, without any offset...

Edited by Cruizzzzer
  • Like 1

man this is good, if you could just revise EDs manuals now 🙂

just to add after going through it all, you have put outstanding detail in here, easy to understand and informative, graphics are excellent too.

only thing i would change if being picky, would be to change heading page colours, as they blend in to the rest too easy, be better to spot separate chapters.

really good job mate

Edited by thrustvector

just updated the manual to REV01062021 (kneeboard needs to updated yet)

REV01062021

GENERAL:

Reformatting issues…

OTHER:

Page 5ff             highlighted advisories

Page 13              added timing for “apu start”

“timing” deleted on “throttle idle”; added “timing” on “crank” to observe “starter limit” timing

Page 30              entry of coords procedure revised

Page 54              changed format of “ldg checklist” to match rest of the manuals format

Page 54ff           changed headline color during vfr landing pattern for better distinction

Page 78              “aoa limit due to mach” headline revised

Page 88ff           rules of thumb added

REV 31052021

GENERAL:

Reformatting issues…

OTHER:

Reversed colors of headlines for better recognition (thanks to “thrustvector” for input)

Page 36:            clarification of NOTE for „external lights MASTER SWITCH”

• Cruizzzzer changed the title to F/A-18C Hornet Flight Manual (chapter_1) made available in the "user files"