Experiencing Crash in VR with Overclocked GPU

Posted (edited)

In VR mode, I am getting sometimes a hard crash and sometimes a crash with display message saying "DCS has crashed, send error report to ED, etc..."

This is happening frequently only with overclocked GPU in DCS in VR mode (every run of game results in crash after some time period in a mission) but strangely enough this is not happening at all even with overclocking when running DCS in 2D mode.

Log attached of the last crash I had that I am positive I can attribute to this.

dcs.log

I'd really like to be able to get my GPU overclock working with VR in DCS because on my old GPU (Asus ROG Strix 1080 GTX OC) I am seeing increase in frame rates to where I can have more enjoyable experience in VR if the crashing could be solved... Also, more importantly than FPS, GPU frametimes seems to be more around 17ms-20ms with the overclocking, which is far more ideal than what I am getting which is above 20ms to 30ms without the overclocking (other than these frequent DCS crashes, but again in 2D there is no crashing with overclocking)

So, the overclocking actually makes the game comfortably playable in terms of GPU frame times and frame rates(with the exception of the crashes)   until I can get my hands on a unicorn GPU with the ridiculous market we have today... Which what I want is some kind of Strix RTX 3080 or TI.

Edited by Baz000

Yeah, DCS crashes "always" when GPU is OCed. Only game/application this happens for me, but what can you do?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

It’s very odd because I get no crashes in VR with my G2 but 2D in just one day like today I’m getting crashes every mission restart and I mean every time I click fly again. No need to overclock of my side.

Edited by Burt
  • Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 4.8-4.9 GHz OC Disabled - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090 NV Driver 466.47 OC Disabled - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - TM Warthog Hotas & TFRP Rudder pedals - Monstertech Mounts - TrackerIR w/ProClip -HP G2 - Tacview/Disabled

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base - F16SRGRH Stick - Open Beta 2.7

Start Date April 2020

On 5/28/2021 at 12:28 AM, Baz000 said:

In VR mode, I am getting sometimes a hard crash and sometimes a crash with display message saying "DCS has crashed, send error report to ED, etc..."

This is happening frequently only with overclocked GPU in DCS in VR mode (every run of game results in crash after some time period in a mission) but strangely enough this is not happening at all even with overclocking when running DCS in 2D mode.

Log attached of the last crash I had that I am positive I can attribute to this.

dcs.log 69.53 kB · 2 downloads

I'd really like to be able to get my GPU overclock working with VR in DCS because on my old GPU (Asus ROG Strix 1080 GTX OC) I am seeing increase in frame rates to where I can have more enjoyable experience in VR if the crashing could be solved... Also, more importantly than FPS, GPU frametimes seems to be more around 17ms-20ms with the overclocking, which is far more ideal than what I am getting which is above 20ms to 30ms without the overclocking (other than these frequent DCS crashes, but again in 2D there is no crashing with overclocking)

So, the overclocking actually makes the game comfortably playable in terms of GPU frame times and frame rates(with the exception of the crashes)   until I can get my hands on a unicorn GPU with the ridiculous market we have today... Which what I want is some kind of Strix RTX 3080 or TI.

Hello, is your GPU tested Stable with some sort of stress test? Can you show me your OC and what where thye stock clocks?  I have my 1080GTX OC and do not have CTD's as I got mine as stable as it an be on air..

ASRock Z590 PHantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.0Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1TB / Asus 1080GTX OC /  G. Skill Trident Z CAS 14 - 32GB RAM 3400MHZ XMP Profile / Oculus Rift S VR / HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker game simulation

think I solved by reducing my core clock, but right now have core clock at +100 Mhz and memory clock at +1,000 Mhz... Runs heaven, valley, and superposition all without crashing or artifacts and GPU temp rarely goes above 60 on my Asus Strix 1080 GTX OC card.

Right now, I am only experiencing crashes in DCS when quitting game or exiting a mission so far since reducing core clock...

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Baz000 said:

think I solved by reducing my core clock, but right now have core clock at +100 Mhz and memory clock at +1,000 Mhz... Runs heaven, valley, and superposition all without crashing or artifacts and GPU temp rarely goes above 60 on my Asus Strix 1080 GTX OC card.

Right now, I am only experiencing crashes in DCS when quitting game or exiting a mission so far since reducing core clock...

Hey Baz000 maybe the 1000mhz memory OC is not keeping it stable.. On mine I have 100core and 500memory.. how long did you run Superposition for? DCS can be a bear with OC.. there is also a thread here about CTD testing or something.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/272611-some-tests-about-crash-on-exit-mission/

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 PHantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.0Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1TB / Asus 1080GTX OC /  G. Skill Trident Z CAS 14 - 32GB RAM 3400MHZ XMP Profile / Oculus Rift S VR / HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker game simulation

Posted (edited)

For right now, I removed overclock and went to stock settings... Also, superposition free version only runs 1 loop which is what I did but I ran heaven for over 30+ minutes to 1 hour

i'm getting mission exit / game exit crash only for now it seems

Edited by Baz000