(doubt)Why GBU12 can set laser coding on the aircraft

1 hour ago, OUO said:

Isn't this something that only the ground crew can change?

Some munition like the APKWS, the Ground Crew have to dial in the laser code, i'd guess (since im not a Air Munition Tech') that some munition are "link" to the aircraft systems for INS / GPS / Fuze setting -> wich laser code would fell into, and so on. It must depend on the avionics-weapon integration of a said airframe with a said munition.

3 hours ago, hotrod525 said:

Some munition like the APKWS, the Ground Crew have to dial in the laser code, i'd guess (since im not a Air Munition Tech') that some munition are "link" to the aircraft systems for INS / GPS / Fuze setting -> wich laser code would fell into, and so on. It must depend on the avionics-weapon integration of a said airframe with a said munition.

AFAIK, with Paveway II guidance kit, you have to use flat screwdriver on guidance head to set the code.

So it's done on the ground.

But you can set the pod's code to match the bomb's code.

Let's say it's a gameplay simplification.

• Like 2

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X/ RAM 32 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Saitek X-55 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Rift S

M-2000C X-55 VR profile / M-2000C custom SERVAL symbols assignation

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

5 hours ago, OUO said:

Correct. The GBU series code option is fictional. In DCS you can set the code of those bombs in the cockpit of some modules, while you can't in others (the kneeboard is used for the Viper, while the Hog and Hornet use the fictional method). I'm not sure why that is. It could be because of the current JTAC system (JTAC can only use a pre set code) 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

For Paveway II series weapons (GBU-10, 12, and 16) and Paveway III series (GBU-24) the guidance unit on the nose has a set of rotating switches where the code is set physically by the ground crew. They look something like this:

Capture.JPG

There are some weapons that can have the code set from the aircraft, like the laser Mavericks. 

Edited by Bunny Clark
spelling
  • Like 1

It's a simplification, it's the same on the A-10C.

Other modules such as F-14, F-16, Mirage, etc model this "correctly" as you have to change the code on the ground using the kneeboard.
(You should be changing this in the rearm panel IMHO)

Maybe this is a game design decision due to A-10 and F-18 being the flagship modules, to not overwhelm new users.

I'd rather have consistency across modules but that's just me.

Also cluster bombs burst altitude should be only selectable on the ground while the setting in the store management page is to have the bombing computer give the correct solution for the previously set BA.

Regards

Sent from my MI 10 Lite 5G using Tapatalk

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rubberduck85 said:

You should be changing this in the rearm panel IMHO

That sounds right to me. I‘d vote for having the laser codes being set through the rearm page, on the ground. And same with the cluster bombs burst altitude. I just don‘t know if this has been proposed, considered, dismissed… but should it not be the case, then it should really make its way into the Wishlist

Posted (edited)

I think / hope the idea is to eventually include LGB codes and CBU burst height into a new overhauled briefing and pre-flight system which would also include DTC functions like dispenser program editing, flight planning, PB target point selection, radio channel setup, and F-16 MFD page presets. If that's the case the hodgepodge system we have right now is just a placeholder. 

Edited by Bunny Clark
spelling
  • Like 2